Audio-GD NFB-1.32
Sep 10, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #121 of 166
I've been using the NFB-1 for a month or so. It's hooked up via USB to a Windows 7 machine as defined as my default audio device in Control Panel.

My research indicates the problems I was having with my NFB-1 getting dropped by Windows is part of a widespread series of issues Windows has with asynchronous USB audio. It is buggy and Windows doesn't seem to like to let it happen. It's not just an ASIO thing, either. (We all know ASIO can be a little funky in Windows sometimes.) I came across all kinds of other people having problems with other async USB audio devices in Windows 7 and 8.

What I have found to be the best way to prevent the DAC from getting dropped by Windows is to switch it on before Windows begins to load. That way there's no chance of it being "missed" at boot. If I turn the DAC off when in Windows, it might not come back. Keeping it switched on when my computer is on is the only sure way to keep it from being dropped. If it does get dropped, a reinstall of the drivers is needed to get it to show up again.

So, it's a little less plug-and-play than I was hoping for, but it looks like it's a Windows rather than Audio-GD issue. (Read about async USB audio on Mac and Linux. It seems much less problematic. You don't even need to install drivers!)

With that said, the DAC does sound really good. Great detail top to bottom and a sense of space that I hadn't heard through my previous (lower class) gear.

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #124 of 166
  Are differences in DAC module between NFB-1(2014) and NFB-1(2015) significant for sound quality?

I have asked Kingwa a while back for the same question, he did mention that some parts are merged into a single pcb etc. while he assures that sound quality will have a very subtle improvement but not really significant.

that say, to my very rookie understanding using similar if not the same overall design and components with major changing in the mounting ways of components is just like upgrading the cabling of your system, there will/might be an improvement in sound, but not significant if we could ever detect any audible difference, thus if you don't have the NFB 1.32 yet, it's always good to get the new version, but if you already have one, I don't think it's worth buying an updated version, if you want to upgrade, going up the route and get the NFB 7.32 should be a better bet for improvement

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #125 of 166
  I've been using the NFB-1 for a month or so. It's hooked up via USB to a Windows 7 machine as defined as my default audio device in Control Panel.

My research indicates the problems I was having with my NFB-1 getting dropped by Windows is part of a widespread series of issues Windows has with asynchronous USB audio. It is buggy and Windows doesn't seem to like to let it happen. It's not just an ASIO thing, either. (We all know ASIO can be a little funky in Windows sometimes.) I came across all kinds of other people having problems with other async USB audio devices in Windows 7 and 8.

What I have found to be the best way to prevent the DAC from getting dropped by Windows is to switch it on before Windows begins to load. That way there's no chance of it being "missed" at boot. If I turn the DAC off when in Windows, it might not come back. Keeping it switched on when my computer is on is the only sure way to keep it from being dropped. If it does get dropped, a reinstall of the drivers is needed to get it to show up again.

So, it's a little less plug-and-play than I was hoping for, but it looks like it's a Windows rather than Audio-GD issue. (Read about async USB audio on Mac and Linux. It seems much less problematic. You don't even need to install drivers!)

With that said, the DAC does sound really good. Great detail top to bottom and a sense of space that I hadn't heard through my previous (lower class) gear.

A friend of mine has the NFB 1.32 and I have the SA-1.32 and both have identical USB32 implementation. I've had no problems with Windows 7 or 8. My home PC is 7 and work one is 8. 

What USB cable do you use? Do you have the latest firmware and drivers? Which player do you use? 

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #126 of 166
I have NFB-1 2015 version and never had any problem Windows 8.1 recognizing it since I have installed the drivers. That is on 2nos laptops. Having said that, my iMac sometimes drop the connection but a simple restart of the DAC and rescanning of the DAC on iMac does the trick.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #127 of 166
A friend of mine has the NFB 1.32 and I have the SA-1.32 and both have identical USB32 implementation. I've had no problems with Windows 7 or 8. My home PC is 7 and work one is 8. 

What USB cable do you use? Do you have the latest firmware and drivers? Which player do you use? 

I am using the included USB cable (plugged directly into the motherboard) and the included power cable. I have installed the correct 2014V3 USB32 driver.

I play music through Foobar2000 using VIA DirectKS ASIO, like the documentation describes. It also works perfectly when it's called on to output sound from any video player or web browser I've tried (GOM, VLC, Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox and IE).

The only issues I have are when the DAC is turned off and back on again in Windows. It's happened a few times that after turning it on again, Windows recognized it and it worked, but it was seen as a "new" audio device and no longer the default audio device.

If it is powered on before Windows loads, it's perfect. If I keep it powered on while my PC is on, it's perfect. Now, to avoid any weirdness that I did experience (even though I was using the correct driver and cable...) I keep the NFB-1 on while my PC is on. Sorry to upset everyone.

EDIT: Firmware is what came pre-installed as of July of this year, when I purchased the unit.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #128 of 166
The August firmware released revolutionized the sound (according to many very fussy "expert" critics who previously did not care for USB32). Might be worth looking into. 

Secondly, maybe try a different USB cable just in case you got a dud? 

I'm just spit-balling suggestions without any idea of whether any of them will actually help but it can't hurt right? :)

Last of all, I use WASAPI mostly and it works great. I don't think this would have much to do with it but could be worth a try just in case. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #129 of 166
I don't think there's anything wrong with the USB cable. As long as I'm not turning the DAC off and on it keeps connected. Since I started keeping it on all the time I've had zero issues.

I have no issues with ASIO, either, and that's not what was causing the drop-outs anyway. It was system wide. I had set up WASAPI initially but I still had the dropping out issues when turning the unit off and back on.

Do you have a link for the firmware update and update tool, or should I email Kingwa? The links to download it on his site and in the "Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread" don't seem to work. Thanks.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #130 of 166
Email Kingwa. If he points you to a working link please share! :p

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #131 of 166
I just sent off a quick message. I'll post what I find out.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #132 of 166
Kingwa sent me a link to the firmware update tool, but he says not to give it away or post it online. If you want the firmware update, you should email him.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #133 of 166
  Kingwa sent me a link to the firmware update tool, but he says not to give it away or post it online. If you want the firmware update, you should email him.

Kingwa did sent me the same link I think for the update, the update was easy and improvement is noted, really impressed by the audio-gd price/performance ratio!

thinking back it's weird that being a Hong Kong ppl I learnt the Chinese brands I am using (HiFiMan, Auralic and Audio-gd) not from local sources but here in Headfi
L3000.gif

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #134 of 166
Maybe it's cos all the local guys there are buying the branded stuff instead of the good stuff :)

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #135 of 166
  Kingwa did sent me the same link I think for the update, the update was easy and improvement is noted, really impressed by the audio-gd price/performance ratio!

What did improve? I really like the tonality I have with the usb input.
Of course I fear that this update does add some warmth and maybe even takes some air
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back