Audio-gd NFB-1 (2015)
Jan 3, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #62 of 84
I got my NFB-1 2015 yesterday. It's detail resolution is very impressive.

For Linux users, DSD works with MPD and ALSA. Just set dsd_usb "yes" in your output device and play a dsf or dff. Make sure it uses your DAC as the device (hw device 1 for me) You'll hear a click from your DAC whenever it switches, so you know it's working.

I got it working in Windows and foobar2000 as well, all you need is foo_input_sacd, foo_output_asio, ASIOProxyInstall.exe, and the ASIO drivers on Audio-GD's site. Install the two ASIO installers. Then, drop foo_input_sacd.dll and foo_output_asio.dll into your foobar2000 components folder. In the Audio-GD(VIA) ASIO driver, enable the DAC. In foobar2000, set foo_dsd_asio as your output device. Go into the ASIO settings in foobar2000 and double click foo_dsd_asio to configure it, set it to your VIA ASIO driver and the first results for everything else.

Links:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USB32/USB32EN.htm
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio

Tested on a modern Chromebook, it might not work on an old computer.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #63 of 84
I got my NFB-1 (2015) yesterday from Magna in the Nederlands.  

And it's just wonderfull – BUT

1) It really needs a heavy burn-in.
2) Use the USBcable, that came with the DAC.
3) If you use a Mac, use Audirvana!

Setup:
* iMac – Audirvana
* Audio-GD USBcable
* NFB-1
* Meier-Audio Classic amp
* some headphones :wink:

It replaces a Pro-Ject DS DAC with wire world cables, this is really a big step from sound to music.

I got mine from Magna-HiFI in the Nederlands with a very good price (cheaper than direct order incl. shipment and custom!) – very good customer support!

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #64 of 84
I have problem playing DSD128 using Jplaymini.
Anybody playing DSD128 successfully? with which player?

Cheers.

Jan 31, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #66 of 84
Do you use the original cable from Audio-GD?  If not give it a try.

I know, that this is not helpful for you – but as general information:  Absolut no problem with any dsd-format on MacOS with Audirvana.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #67 of 84

I have been experimenting with different combinations. It seemed that it played some dsd/dff files OK but not others.

Successful one: 2L Ref Recording (DFF), HDDT Tchaikovsky Piano 1 (DSF)
Unsuccessful one: Zinaida Oganova(DSD128)

I have no clues as to why things are.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #69 of 84
Just got these in and having a listen. Wow sounds so detailed and natural. Works so well with the M9

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #70 of 84
  Just got these in and having a listen. Wow sounds so detailed and natural. Works so well with the M9

Nice. It is my main DAC too - paired with Ragnarok via the XLR connection. I heard the M9 with the NFB-7 and I was equally impressed. Perhaps moreso...

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #71 of 84
  Nice. It is my main DAC too - paired with Ragnarok via the XLR connection. I heard the M9 with the NFB-7 and I was equally impressed. Perhaps moreso...

I thought about the NFB-7 but I'm using the NFB-1 as a stop gap until I get a TOTL,  something like the M7. I'm pretty happy so far

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #72 of 84
  I thought about the NFB-7 but I'm using the NFB-1 as a stop gap until I get a TOTL,  something like the M7. I'm pretty happy so far

I'm sure the NFB-7 is better than NFB-1 but I don't think the difference is worth to replace the NFB-1. Perhaps the Yggy will persuade me to change (or compliment) my NFB-1. The details and tone I am getting from the NFB-1 are excellent. Enjoy your setup mate. Listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela 11-11 as I write this... 
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #73 of 84
Just got my NFB-1 and compared it to my odac. Honestly it just sounds bad.it sounds like there's a resonance in the sound and the bass is just low quality. The music in general seems to be slow and lacks any impact to speak of, like the music is gently hitting my face when it should be slapping it.
I am currently running it unbalanced. Does it need a balanced set up or burn in to sound good? So far my odac is better and more realistic.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #74 of 84
  Just got my NFB-1 and compared it to my odac. Honestly it just sounds bad.it sounds like there's a resonance in the sound and the bass is just low quality. The music in general seems to be slow and lacks any impact to speak of, like the music is gently hitting my face when it should be slapping it.
I am currently running it unbalanced. Does it need a balanced set up or burn in to sound good? So far my odac is better and more realistic.

I do not know how an odac does sound. So I can't comment on the tonal differences there can be. I guess it should be more realistic (in airyness e.g.) and more neutral overall.
Some are saying that an audio-gd device prefers to be run in balanced mode, to get the full performance. But even in unbalanced, it still should sound fine and not have the problems you are describing. I have the 2014 version of that dac and don't have any problems in unbalanced mode.
Burn in should not be needed, since audio-gd already does it with every single unit.
What amp and phones are you using? Not that I have much experience in any way, but can you have a bad synergy which causes such problems?

I can only speculate of how it sounds. Your description does remind me of inverted poles on an older in-ear cable, which I fixed myself. Just cause you are getting sound, does not automatically mean it's wired correctly, hehe. Maybe a problem with your cabling?

According to the audio-gd site, they do extensively testing with every unit. In case that's true, there is a high chance that your unit is totally fine and the problem is somewhere else. But nevertheless your setup worked fine before. So it's either bad synergy or actually a faulty unit.
Have you contacted adg?

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #75 of 84
My amp is the little dot mkvi+ and my headphone is the hd800. The sound on the nfb-1 has less sound separation, less detail, less resolution, less sound stage, less everything than my crappy little odac. Aside from the usb feedback I get from the odac, when I listen to it it sounds convincingly like real life. Through the nfb-1 it sounds like obviously reproduced music.
I can't quite put my finger on it but the sound just does not sound high quality, especially something that is greatly more expensive than an odac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back