Audio-gd NFB-1 (2015)
Oct 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #31 of 84
Dame, the screenshots didn't show up in my post. You can see the screenshots here https://app.box.com/s/o8kqxk7ondq6a4b5q43m

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #33 of 84
I haven't heard M-DAC not thr TEAC so I cannot provide an opinion on those.

I am not entirely sure if the cause of the delay is Chinese custom but after the item was picked up by DHL from Audio-gd, it reached my doorstep in 3 days only.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #34 of 84
  Dame, the screenshots didn't show up in my post. You can see the screenshots here https://app.box.com/s/o8kqxk7ondq6a4b5q43m

I followed your screenshots and set it up the exact same way, still getting an error saying this sample rate not supported by dac. this is frustrating. I dont understand the problem. Im starting to think its a problem with the USB32 receiver. I uninstalled all other sound drivers and made sure its using the Audio-GD ones. Still no go.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #35 of 84
So i tried everything... But im making some progress. I had no luck with the VIA ASIO driver. So I tied ASIO4ALL V2.
Using ASIO 4All I got everything but DSD working (24/96 24/176, 24/192 works perfect). So im pretty happy for now, but DSD support would be nice.
Still waiting on another reply from King-Wa.
But this NFB-1 sounds great so far.
Thanks for all the help!

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #36 of 84
  I followed your screenshots and set it up the exact same way, still getting an error saying this sample rate not supported by dac. this is frustrating. I dont understand the problem. Im starting to think its a problem with the USB32 receiver. I uninstalled all other sound drivers and made sure its using the Audio-GD ones. Still no go.

That's very bad mate. I know how frustrating it can be. I'm not sure if Kingwa is aware that his instruction on his site is only for the basic installation of the driver but without DSD support. I had to make a search and then even that I had to play with some settings. I will try to install the drivers on my wife's laptop which I also used before so it probably will have Cypherlabs (and FiiO?) drivers installed and see if I can replicate the success I had with my own laptop.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #37 of 84
  So i tried everything... But im making some progress. I had no luck with the VIA ASIO driver. So I tied ASIO4ALL V2.
Using ASIO 4All I got everything but DSD working (24/96 24/176, 24/192 works perfect). So im pretty happy for now, but DSD support would be nice.
Thanks for all the help!

?? did you activate the asio ks after installation?
before it can be used you need to activate it

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #38 of 84
Thanks for all the help!

So I was successful installing the drivers to my wife's laptop. I have captured screenshots during the installation and setting up of the drivers and components https://app.box.com/s/8gn0g542pmic1vumixi5

You will see that by just following  the installation instructions of Audio-gd, hires FLACs are already recognised but not DSD. The additional steps on the link above is for the DSD to be recognised and played.

Hope you can sort out your issues as NFB-1 is a great DAC.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #39 of 84

So I was successful installing the drivers to my wife's laptop. I have captured screenshots during the installation and setting up of the drivers and components https://app.box.com/s/8gn0g542pmic1vumixi5

You will see that by just following  the installation instructions of Audio-gd, hires FLACs are already recognised but not DSD. The additional steps on the link above is for the DSD to be recognised and played.

Hope you can sort out your issues as NFB-1 is a great DAC.

Just curious, once you have done all this can you easily cue up flac or dsd without going back in and changing settings for the driver? Or do you have to change the driver settings every time you go from flac to dsd (or the other way round). I am also curious as foobar will play other formats including ape will it still play those files without changing the settings as it normally would? If all this is a one time setup its not a big deal but if you had to go into the settings every time to change from dsd to flac it would be no fun at all.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #40 of 84
You can cue them all up, there is no need to chance the settings. Although the popping sound is there when a DSD song starts or ends. It is annoying. Having said that, I also get pop even on my Mac using Amarra or Audirvana plus.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #41 of 84
  You can cue them all up, there is no need to chance the settings. Although the popping sound is there when a DSD song starts or ends. It is annoying. Having said that, I also get pop even on my Mac using Amarra or Audirvana plus.

Interesting I have seen that popping sound referenced on several threads with different dacs but some dacs are advertising that they will do this silently (no pop). You are getting that pop through the headphones or the speakers or just an audible click from the dac itself as it switches? Are we talking about a loud pop through the headphones or a soft click? 

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #42 of 84
I am only using headphones right now. on Amarra, there is soft 'click' when changing from FLAC to DSD and it seems to handle the issue better. On Audirvana, it is bad. It's like popping sound which is really audible and annoying. On foobar, I can hear it at every DSD song! All of these are heard from the headphones. Perhaps, there is a solution which I am very willing to learn...

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #43 of 84
Oct 18, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #44 of 84

Very interesting post thanks. So it's a software issue but seems to be more present on some dacs than others. Your post comments that Jriver has a solution for wasapi but nothing said about asio. I would probably be using HQPlayer for the increased sound quality (but miserable UI). I guess I will have to wait for my new dac to experiment with this. My use for dsd would be mostly to upsample redbook to dsd, There isn't enough native dsd available to be interesting. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #45 of 84

Users who are viewing this thread

Back