Audio-gd NFB-1 (2015)
Oct 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #46 of 84
It seems that Amarra converts DSD to PCM before sending to the DAC (this is confirmed by the indication on the DAC itself) and so when I set Audirvana to do the same, the popping sound was gone although I can still hear some mild click on some DSD tracks. Anyway, I hope there is solution out there to eliminate the clicks and pops when sending native DSD to the DAC. In the meantime, I will enjoy the FLACs I have. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #47 of 84
Over at the Yulong DA8 thread, the recommendation is to set  ASIO to DOP marker rather than Native ASIO which eliminated the pop. So for now, this is the solution I am using. The Audio-gd NFB-1 is a truly amazing DAC IMO. I wish I have purchased it sooner... Oh wait, scratch that - otherwise I could have gotten the older version. 
k701smile.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #48 of 84
So I finally figured out my issue with DSD.
Aparently the NFB-1 2015 does not like Intel's X58 Chipset USB 2.0 ports. I tried on two different X58 based computers with same issues getting anything about 24/48 to play.
I tried it on my AMD computer and it worked perfectly with all sample rates and DSD.
So i plugged it into the USB 3.0 port on my X58 motherboard and it all works flawlessly now. So note to any X58 users, the USB 2.0 ports will not work for the NFB-1 (2015), use the USB 3.0 ports.
Very happy camper now!~

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #49 of 84
  So I finally figured out my issue with DSD.
Aparently the NFB-1 2015 does not like Intel's X58 Chipset USB 2.0 ports. I tried on two different X58 based computers with same issues getting anything about 24/48 to play.
I tried it on my AMD computer and it worked perfectly with all sample rates and DSD.
So i plugged it into the USB 3.0 port on my X58 motherboard and it all works flawlessly now. So note to any X58 users, the USB 2.0 ports will not work for the NFB-1 (2015), use the USB 3.0 ports.
Very happy camper now!~

Glad to hear you got it but you forgot to mention how it sounds? 

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #50 of 84
Good to hear you have sorted out your driver issues. Enjoy.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #51 of 84
  Glad to hear you got it but you forgot to mention how it sounds? 

Sounds great so far. Right now it doesn't seem quite as good as my Yulong DA8, but its close... The NFB-1 still needs more burn in time.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #52 of 84
Sounds great so far. Right now it doesn't seem quite as good as my Yulong DA8, but its close... The NFB-1 still needs more burn in time.

Oh, I'd be interested to hear further comparisons with Yulong DA8 which I almost purchased if not for the crooked seller (on eBay). Can you compare the highs?

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #53 of 84

Great that it's working now!
How come that it only works with usb 3.0 in your case? My 2014 version only likes usb 2.0, which does seem to be the normal case for a lot users here.

Why have you bought a nfb-1 if you already own a Yulong DA8? Of course I'am interested in the tonal differences.

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #54 of 84
  Great that it's working now!
How come that it only works with usb 3.0 in your case? My 2014 version only likes usb 2.0, which does seem to be the normal case for a lot users here.

Why have you bought a nfb-1 if you already own a Yulong DA8? Of course I'am interested in the tonal differences.

I think it is more of an issue with the Intel X58 chipset than USB2.0, that chipset is very dated by today's standards, I imagine new boards have no problems.
On the amd computer it was plugged into USB 2.0 and it works flawlessly.

I purchased the NFB-1 to use in my home theater setup for dedicated 2 channel listening.
The Yulong DA8 is used for my headphone setup.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #55 of 84
I have an NFB 28, but they work the same way...

Anyhow I used the info in this thread to get my dsd working...

Now heres the thing that I dont understand:

Before following the instructions and getting foobar set up properly I would get no sound from playing a DSF file. 

I set everything up and changed output to foo_dsd_asio or what ever its called and voila sound.

I imagined that I would have to go and change the output every time I went and played any DSF files.

However, it seems to work even when leaving the output on KS.

So when you guys are playing your DSD music do you have the output set to ks or foo_dsd_asio?  Is there any reason I shouldn't use KS?

These Audio-gd DACs are internally converting the DSD to PCM correct? or is foobar doing that?  Do all DSD DACs do this or do some not convert at all?

Haha sorry...new toys..

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #56 of 84
I leave it to foo_dsd_asio all the time even when playing other music format.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #57 of 84
Need a heads-up here:

Has any body tried the USB-32 driver on a Windows 2012 Server? Does it work?

I am also looking at the NFB-1 2015. But not sure if it will work with Windows 2012 Server.

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #58 of 84
I received my NFB1 today. The USB driver installed fine. Playing it is a mixed bag.

Using the driver on its own is OK. I had KS Audio-gd as a device under Jriver, both PCM and DSD play OK. No pops!

But only WASAPI Audio-gd works with Jplay for streaming of PCM materials only under Jriver. I had continuous pops when playing DSD materials.

Has anybody find a way to do streaming with this DAC?

Thanks  

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #59 of 84
Can't help noticing driver issues reported on a few Audio GD dac threads.  Non compatibility with Jplay would be a deal breaker...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back