Audio-GD Master 9
Jun 23, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #1,606 of 2,563
Gustard H20 with Sonic Imagery Labs 994Enh-Ticha opamps is currently my favorite. The HE-9 more resoving with better microdynamics, but the macrodynamics of the H20 make it significantly punchier, while still being detailed (to my ears). So I'm enjoying the H20 more.
I felt the same with stock power cable with the M9 , i highly recommend the Audience Forte f3 power cable , it really improve the dynamics and bass of the M9

but tbh i am tempted to try your combo H20 + Sonic Imagery Labs 994Enh-Ticha opamps , it sound interesting ,, GLWS

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #1,607 of 2,563
I felt the same with stock power cable with the M9 , i highly recommend the Audience Forte f3 power cable , it really improve the dynamics and bass of the M9
I never used the stock cable. Probably only used it with Tripp-Lite 14 AWG power cords. Better than stock, I'm assuming, but recently I did a cable shootout (in my speaker rig, not with the HE-9) and I definitely like the Volex 17604/17605 better (by far the cheapest shielded 14 AWG power cords I know of), and the Wireworld Stratus 7 (12 AWG) slightly better still. I sent back a Shunyata Research Venom 14 (14 AWG) and a Silnote Audio Poseidon GL Reference (12 AWG).

but tbh i am tempted to try your combo H20 + Sonic Imagery Labs 994Enh-Ticha opamps , it sound interesting
It's a neat combination. :) The SparkoS SS3602 opamps are also nice with the H20. More incisive, a bit less musical. Matter of taste and pairing, I'd say.

Thank you!

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #1,608 of 2,563
Search for "Master 8" in the GSX threads. Or maybe it was the Master 9. Both were compared at a recent meet, but I forgot which one.

I know you are testing the THX AAA 789 amp now. Do you think the Master 9 is a considerable step above it?

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,609 of 2,563
I know you are testing the THX AAA 789 amp now. Do you think the Master 9 is a considerable step above it?

It's still a step up, yes. I don't know about "considerable" though. The Law of Diminishing Returns seemed to kick in over $1000, but now seems to be at $500, or even lower.

Jun 25, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #1,610 of 2,563
It's still a step up, yes. I don't know about "considerable" though. The Law of Diminishing Returns seemed to kick in over $1000, but now seems to be at $500, or even lower.
Wow, sounds like a good endorsement for the THX. I await your review on it.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #1,611 of 2,563
Hey all, I’m selling my Audio GD master 9 if anyone wants it. $1200 AUD pickup only Sydney. Comes with balanced cable to another audio GD DAC. Some discolouration of front face and minor wear and tear. Bought about 5 years ago still sounds sweet as ever.

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,612 of 2,563
FYI

Just went to Audio-GD website. Kingwa just provides a minor upgrade on Master-9 ( 2019 Edition ) and HE-9 ( 2019 Edition )

Briefly, both have 3 new characterized gain modes for different headphones sensitivity

01 : L - 16 dB gain
02 : H - 25 dB gain
03 : S - 31 dB gain ( Available only on RCA/ XLR inputs )

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,613 of 2,563
Hi guys.

Just got a he-7/he-9 combo and am looking for closed back that can image well, which would sound a tad warmer than my he-560 and also a better set overall. Reading this thread, i am looking at a cheaper alternative to the utopia. Mainly for jazz listening. Comfort is important. Budget: around 1k.

Aug 24, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #1,614 of 2,563
Hi guys.

Just got a he-7/he-9 combo and am looking for closed back that can image well, which would sound a tad warmer than my he-560 and also a better set overall. Reading this thread, i am looking at a cheaper alternative to the utopia. Mainly for jazz listening. Comfort is important. Budget: around 1k.

Closed back headphone around 1k USD I could think of : Astell&Kern T5p , Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back , Audeze LCD-XC , Focal Elegia , MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed , MrSpeakers Ether CX ( Drop ) , ZMF Atticus

Not sure about sound, but hope this could help.

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #1,615 of 2,563
Closed back headphone around 1k USD I could think of : Astell&Kern T5p , Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back , Audeze LCD-XC , Focal Elegia , MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed , MrSpeakers Ether CX ( Drop ) , ZMF Atticus

Not sure about sound, but hope this could help.
Thanks.

Looking for a set like the Phililps my ant used to have: rich bass and mids, but no emphasized, with plenty of details and above average imaging. A comfy, comforting old fashion set that can do it all cause accurate enough. With good isolation. An accurate set with great mid bass and mid presence. Being able to have firm low bass would be a bonus, not an actual absolute must.

Was checking the C Flow earlier, could be it maybe. More expensive than my target price.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #1,616 of 2,563
Check ZMF (Atticus) and Audeze LCD-XC. You need to try them to find the right fit. Buy used from repuatble members that have good feedbacks. If you dont like, resell at a minimal loss. I've settle on the LCD-X (open but I dont need closed) for pretty much the same attributes you're looking for. I listent mostly to jazz - lots of european jazz and female singers. I have the He9.

Good luck in your search. Take it as a fun trip. You will find but you will need to search and work a little to find the right fit.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,617 of 2,563
Check ZMF (Atticus) and Audeze LCD-XC. You need to try them to find the right fit. Buy used from repuatble members that have good feedbacks. If you dont like, resell at a minimal loss. I've settle on the LCD-X (open but I dont need closed) for pretty much the same attributes you're looking for. I listent mostly to jazz - lots of european jazz and female singers. I have the He9.

Good luck in your search. Take it as a fun trip. You will find but you will need to search and work a little to find the right fit.
Thanks. The lcd2 closed back seems interesting. Any thoughts?

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #1,619 of 2,563
Unfortunately I've never tried the LCD2. I tried the LCD-XC and really liked it but I prefer open HP's and don't have limitations to use them (lucky me, I know! :xf_eek:)
I don't have limitations, i just don't want to hear my @!& neighbour through or a snowstorm without having to crank up the volume too much. The lcd-xc is offered at promotion price of 1300$ without the case. Tempting.

Aug 24, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,620 of 2,563
I don't have limitations, i just don't want to hear my @!& neighbour through or a snowstorm without having to crank up the volume too much. The lcd-xc is offered at promotion price of 1300$ without the case. Tempting.
I like the comfort of the LCD-X but comfort like sound is a very personal thing. Some find them heavy. And they are. My suggestion is to try them on at a dealer. Or maybe there's a 30 day trial period which would be ideal. Nothing like having a little try-out before purchase. Again good luck...

How do you like the He9?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back