Audio-GD Master 9
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,621 of 2,586
I like the comfort of the LCD-X but comfort like sound is a very personal thing. Some find them heavy. And they are. My suggestion is to try them on at a dealer. Or maybe there's a 30 day trial period which would be ideal. Nothing like having a little try-out before purchase. Again good luck...

How do you like the He9?
Very accurate but more neutral, flatter than the nfb1-amp. So a richer sounding hp set would be nice. But i only put 100 hours of burn-in so it is a bit early to shop for a hp set. But again, i don't expect it to become richer. With my speaker setup, the balance is perfect.as it is. The thing is, as pre, it is a little warm. As an hp amp, it is ruler-flat.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #1,622 of 2,586
I love it as a pre... For many years, I had an ARC LS25 mk2, it was very nice. The tubes added that little warmth that we like in a SS system. But the He9 with, as you said, the little warm touch, is perfect. And no tubes...

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #1,623 of 2,586
I love it as a pre... For many years, I had an ARC LS25 mk2, it was very nice. The tubes added that little warmth that we like in a SS system. But the He9 with, as you said, the little warm touch, is perfect. And no tubes...
It is first-class preamplification, no doubt. I am loving the sound and am glad i chose it over the more neutral he-1. I have a feeling we share the same tastes and that the lcd-xc would be perfect. This promotional price. And awesome build quality. And i am a little drunk...

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #1,624 of 2,586
Very accurate but more neutral, flatter than the nfb1-amp. So a richer sounding hp set would be nice. But i only put 100 hours of burn-in so it is a bit early to shop for a hp set. But again, i don't expect it to become richer. With my speaker setup, the balance is perfect.as it is. The thing is, as pre, it is a little warm. As an hp amp, it is ruler-flat.

Your speakers are possibly a factor, all of Osborn's speakers are on the warm side of neutral.

As for headphones, get a planar definitely, they work amazing on the HE9, but I don't know any closed back with a good soundstage. Definitely not the LCD their soundstage is terrible.

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #1,626 of 2,586
Your speakers are possibly a factor, all of Osborn's speakers are on the warm side of neutral.

As for headphones, get a planar definitely, they work amazing on the HE9, but I don't know any closed back with a good soundstage. Definitely not the LCD their soundstage is terrible.
Hey Jack :xf_eek:) How are you? Still have your He9 I can see.

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,628 of 2,586
One neat trick i found to get better ventilation with both my he series gears is raise them by over 1.5 inch using valab graphalloy damping feet. See:

IMG_20190824_181528.jpg

Aug 24, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #1,629 of 2,586
Thanks.

Looking for a set like the Phililps my ant used to have: rich bass and mids, but no emphasized, with plenty of details and above average imaging. A comfy, comforting old fashion set that can do it all cause accurate enough. With good isolation. An accurate set with great mid bass and mid presence. Being able to have firm low bass would be a bonus, not an actual absolute must.

Was checking the C Flow earlier, could be it maybe. More expensive than my target price.
Heard all mentioned and the Ethers will not be warmer I have the Ether-C’s not flows and the thing I like about them is the sparkle of the highs while not sibilant still not warm and not heavy on the mid bass either. I think the Atticus and XC are more of what you are looking for to me. I myself didn’t really care for the LCD 2 Closed backs much I was sent them from Audeze for a meet earlier this year along with the 4Z’s and Mobius and the Z’s are fantastic but the 2 Closed backs not so much for me from my Master 9. Between the Atticus and XC I probably would go for the XC myself but not by a lot but I’m a planar guy but have to say my next headphones will be a pair of Verite’s as I just love them. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #1,631 of 2,586
Hey Jack :xf_eek:) How are you? Still have your He9 I can see.

Yeah, it's been great, I can't see myself getting anything else anytime soon. Maybe the HE-1 in a few years if I ever decide to split my headphone and speaker setups. How are you?

Found a deal on the lcd-xc for 875usd, mint. Any suggestion, @Jackula?

I've never listened to the LCD-XC, only the 2 and 3 way back. You can probably find comparisons online, the two I auditioned definitely have a rich sound, but the soundstage is - like I said - terrible.

Verite's are not planar headphones and you'll want the best performers for your HE9, and I would say the Meze Empyrean is *it* - but it's not closed back. On the headphone front, it's the headphone I'm closest to purchasing (not before the Audio-GD R7HE and M2H later this year), unfortunately it's a headphone I cannot audition. However reviewers with ears similar to my own recommend the Empyrean, and reviewers with ears I don't trust also recommends the Empyrean (over the Verite) i.e. Zeos. So there is consensus on both sides!

Btw that's a really long headphone cable and it makes sense to use spikes. I'll take a photo some time but I use spikes for gear near my speakers and sorbathane for gear at the back of my room. I keep as much stuff away from my speakers as possible for performance reasons (pretty much everything except power amps), Kingwa actually recommends 3ft or more. The great thing about Audio-GD gear is you don't have to worry about long cable runs from the back of your room to the front of your room with ACSS.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #1,632 of 2,586
Found a deal on the lcd-xc for 875usd, mint. Any suggestion, @Jackula?
That would be a buy for me but I have been put on the “No Buy List” by the wife as I just picked up a HiBy R6 Pro and a cipher cable for my LCDi4’s and the happy wife happy life is very real.

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #1,633 of 2,586
Yeah, it's been great, I can't see myself getting anything else anytime soon. Maybe the HE-1 in a few years if I ever decide to split my headphone and speaker setups. How are you?

I've never listened to the LCD-XC, only the 2 and 3 way back. You can probably find comparisons online, the two I auditioned definitely have a rich sound, but the soundstage is - like I said - terrible.

Verite's are not planar headphones and you'll want the best performers for your HE9, and I would say the Meze Empyrean is *it* - but it's not closed back. On the headphone front, it's the headphone I'm closest to purchasing (not before the Audio-GD R7HE and M2H later this year), unfortunately it's a headphone I cannot audition. However reviewers with ears similar to my own recommend the Empyrean, and reviewers with ears I don't trust also recommends the Empyrean (over the Verite) i.e. Zeos. So there is consensus on both sides!

Btw that's a really long headphone cable and it makes sense to use spikes. I'll take a photo some time but I use spikes for gear near my speakers and sorbathane for gear at the back of my room. I keep as much stuff away from my speakers as possible for performance reasons (pretty much everything except power amps), Kingwa actually recommends 3ft or more. The great thing about Audio-GD gear is you don't have to worry about long cable runs from the back of your room to the front of your room with ACSS.
Yep,. Using spikes cause the speakers is very close is part of my reasoning. My headphone cable is about 18 feet overall, 8 feet to the hp set and a 10-foot extension. Awg used is below 21 and the run is balanced so it sounds pretty transparent despite the length.

Aug 24, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,634 of 2,586
Yeah, it's been great, I can't see myself getting anything else anytime soon. Maybe the HE-1 in a few years if I ever decide to split my headphone and speaker setups. How are you?.
I'm fine thanks. We sold our house and moved to the cottage. I'm currently building my new listening room. Quite a challenge - isolation is a major goal to achieve - and its been 3 months now since I listened with some good 2 ch. I really miss it... One more month to go. End of september is the launch date. So meanwhile, been exclusively listening with the He9/LCD-X or Kann/AKG3003. As much as I can appreciate the closeness and the details HP and iem bring, I miss the space and soundstage of the 2ch.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,635 of 2,586
Yeah, it's been great, I can't see myself getting anything else anytime soon. Maybe the HE-1 in a few years if I ever decide to split my headphone and speaker setups. How are you?is *it* - but it's not closed back. On the headphone front, it's the headphone I'm closest to purchasing (not before the Audio-GD R7HE and M2H later this year), unfortunately it's a headphone I cannot audition. However reviewers with ears similar to my own recommend the Empyrean, and reviewers with ears I don't trust also recommends the Empyrean (over the Verite) i.e. Zeos. So there is consensus on both sides!

I had the Empyrean in mind but 3k! They sound like 6k but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back