Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Sep 27, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #4,021 of 4,451
That was an interesting issue with conversion of the old M7 to SIngularity DSP. For whatever reason the 1st Singularity board sent to me would not boot up consistently. I sent this board back to Kingwa and he said he could no find an issue. I had him send me a 2nd board that did much better. I did not completely resolve the issue as the old M7 was packed up and moved about the same time. The 2nd replacement board was better but could get it to do the same on repeated restarts of the warm DAC. Cold DAC starts are OK. The AGD procedure now is to wait 30 sec. before reapplying power.

The issue was discovered while constantly rebooting a warm DAC testing various DSP modes. But if the DAC sounds OK from the beginning then it will sound good until possible another power restart. Others users did not have this issue and my other two SIngularity DSP equipped DACs never have issue unless I don't wait enough time before reapplying power.
If i remember correctly, a jumper is needed on bypass. Otherwise, you bypass the dsp. It's reversed logic. Bypassing the dsp would cause a roll-off.

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #4,022 of 4,451
I never understand which DSP mode is ( audio gd site info is confusing) but, jumper is on bypass situation , I think it is kingwa's default configuration
older versions of M7 doesn't support NOS mode as I know probably it would be better to find a digital scope to test RCA and XLR out put. I really confused what is happened and how i can repair it

Let's back up on your issue... do you have the original M7 (not SIngularity DSP version)?

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #4,023 of 4,451
That was an interesting issue with conversion of the old M7 to SIngularity DSP. For whatever reason the 1st Singularity board sent to me would not boot up consistently. I sent this board back to Kingwa and he said he could no find an issue. I had him send me a 2nd board that did much better. I did not completely resolve the issue as the old M7 was packed up and moved about the same time. The 2nd replacement board was better but could get it to do the same on repeated restarts of the warm DAC. Cold DAC starts are OK. The AGD procedure now is to wait 30 sec. before reapplying power.

The issue was discovered while constantly rebooting a warm DAC testing various DSP modes. But if the DAC sounds OK from the beginning then it will sound good until possible another power restart. Others users did not have this issue and my other two SIngularity DSP equipped DACs never have issue unless I don't wait enough time before reapplying power.
I did not upgrade M7 digital board to S7 , only firmware is updated,
I doesn't notice cold or warmed DAC start issue, probably due to that doesn't know this problem exists till now
but I experienced problem from cold start and only one time M7 response Match NFB28 in high frequency region ( in rest of frequency spectrum curves match perfectly)

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #4,024 of 4,451
The original M7 DSP had bypass jumper engaged as default. This bypasses the PLL as default. Removing the jumper engages the PLL.

And you are making measurements with a microphone? If so try with either left or right channel only. Could be phase shifts when playing both channels together that cause measured attenuation. So try left or right channel only as a test.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #4,026 of 4,451
The original M7 DSP had bypass jumper engaged as default. This bypasses the PLL as default. Removing the jumper engages the PLL.

And you are making measurements with a microphone? If so try with either left or right channel only. Could be phase shifts when playing both channels together that cause measured attenuation. So try left or right channel only as a test.
yes, I use UMM6 with REW software and introduce calibration file of mic to REW, then unplug right speaker and measurements done on mono mode of left speaker
I will upload measurement files as soon as I have access to measurement files
speaker components are Oris150 horn with tangband full range and bd15 as bass driver
I also test with another speaker with tweeter and problem exists
thanks for your help

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #4,028 of 4,451
Thanks! Thats's exactly what I am looking for. I am just not sure if the HDMI I2S output of this device is compatible with the Audio-GD HDMI IS2.
Do you really need HDMI? you can make a custom I2S RJ45 to connect those 2 device easily. But if you need to make custom HDMI Cable it would be possible also with custom wiring it would be quite easy to do by your local electrician/local cable company

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #4,029 of 4,451
Do you really need HDMI? you can make a custom I2S RJ45 to connect those 2 device easily. But if you need to make custom HDMI Cable it would be possible also with custom wiring it would be quite easy to do by your local electrician/local cable company

Thanks but unfortunately yes. I would like to use the Chord Hugo M Scaler as a source for my HE-7 Singularity. HDMI I2S or USB are the only options for rates higher than 192kHz:

1) M Scaler has only optical and BNC outs: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo-mscaler/
2) I would like to use as much TAPS of M Scaler as possible, e.g. 352.8kHz or 384kHz output of M Scaler.
3) The only inputs of HE-7 Singularity receiving 352.8kHz or 384kHz are HDMI I2S and USB. (For 192KHz and below I can use a direct BNC connection MScaler--HE-7Singularity)

So the question is how to convert 352.8kHz or 384kHz BNC out of M Scaler to 352.8kHz or 384kHz HDMI I2S in HE-7 Singularity.

BTW: My HE-7 Singularity does not have RJ45 I2S. It has just HDMI-I2S plus other inputs with the following limitations:
1x BNC 24bits 192kHz
1x AES 24-bit 192kHz
1x RCA Coaxial 24bits 96kHz
1x Optical 24bits 96kHz
1x HDMI I2S 32bits 384kHz
1x USB 32bits 384kHz
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...ac-8xpcm1704-24bit192khz-amanero-p-12050.html

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #4,031 of 4,451
Many thanks Mahdi8 and FredA. For 192kHz I can use a direct BNC connection. I need a similar device but with SPDIF in supporting 352.8kHz or higher rates.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #4,032 of 4,451
Thanks! Thats's exactly what I am looking for. I am just not sure if the HDMI I2S output of this device is compatible with the Audio-GD HDMI IS2.

Hello seaice! The HDMI I2S signalling is not compatible with AGD inputs. It is like the Gustard U12 where resulting absolute audio phase is 180 deg. plus L- R channels are swapped.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #4,035 of 4,451
NFB28 VS M7.jpg Master 7 OK.jpg
hi again
measurements for NFB28 (green line) and Master 7 (red line) is attached
so as you see M7 response fall at 14khz about 40db
as a chance, one measurement of M7 lead to response similar to NFB28 ( I attach its graph as Master7 OK)
so what do you think? I think a strange things happens and don't have any idea what is going on
any information could be helpful

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back