1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by darknightdk, Sep 3, 2012.
First

Back
258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267
269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276
Next

Last
  1. seaice
    What I have learned so far, the Chord M Scaler upsampling should be really good, perhaps superior to many upsampling methods used in other products. Of course, only my own experience will show me if it is the case. I plan to the M Scaler primarily with my Chord Dave but, of course, I am curious what it could bring to my other DACs as well, especially to my A-Gd HE-7 Singularity. Unfortunately, A-Gd DACs have input limitations - they are not capable of receiving full 705.6/768kHz output of the M Scaler so I probably can not use the full TAPS lenght of the M Scaler for A-Gd DACs.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Whitigir
    Have you ever heard a dedicated built PC with HQPlayer doing Upsampling job yet ? I love it upto 192Khz and even DSD512. But I prefer pcm in I2S directly and it is only 192Khz

Longer taps length may be a thing where Chord Pulse Arrays can shine and not any other brands. Just look at IFI IDSDPro, they stated shorter is better...sooo...

3. seaice
    I have tried several upsamplers with foobar2000, jriver and other programs but never tried HQPlayer.

4. Alireza326
    hi all
    I recently measure my speaker response with dayton audio UMM-6 Mic and REW software and find out a problem
    with master 7 connected my response fall steeply above 14.3khz
    I checked response with NFB-28 and all things are ok
    I own older version of master 7 and firmware updated to last firmware that kingwa provided
    any suggestion what is the problem? any one else do the same measurements?
    thanks in advance

5. Alireza326
    I was googling for above mentioned problem and hope to find any solution, and lead me to your post
    I also have this problem
    randomly my M7 sounds ok but occasionally mids sound bad and loss in high is obvious so tend me to buy measurement mic for measurements
    so did you solve your problem?

6. aljordan
    How steeply are you talking about here? I think it is natural for the Master 7 to have a slow roll-off from about 13k to 20kHz, but it is only down about 0.5 dB at 20 kHz. This is measured through an audio interface, not the speaker.

7. Alireza326
    about 10 db from 14khz to 20khz
    also mention that I connect to M7 via USB
    yep, you're correct about measurement but with nfb28 high frequency response looks ok
    I will attach Measurement Pictures of M7 and NFB28 as soon as I can ( now my wife is sleeping :D )

8. aljordan
    Did you keep the measurement mic in the exact same position when you compared the measurements from both DACs? I could see in room response being down quite a bit if the measurement was taken at the listening position.

9. aljordan
    Here is a screen grab of the measurements I was referring to. The top orange line is the Master 7, the middle blue line is the Schitt Yggy via its RCA outputs. The bottom line is the Prism Sound Orpheus. The Yggy and the Master 7 were tested using the SPDIF (RCA style) input. Master 7 is my favorite DAC to listen to out of the three, even though it shows the mild high frequency roll-off.

3DACs.png

10. Alireza326
    thanks aljordan for your help
    yes, I measure M7 and swap to NFB28 with out changing anything including Mic position
    I use M1 as pre amp and attach NFB28 to M1 input to ensure that problem is not from M1
    did you use digital oscope to catch above graph? unfortunately I have an old analog scope and therefore it cant get FFT and hard to work with
    after some try only one time response of M7 and NFB28 match exactly but i think it is random
    so what can I do? I hope that can bring lovely M7 to life again

11. FredA
    The m7 needs some warm up time before it plays normally. Just in case you did not know.

12. Alireza326
    dear FredA
    I know that
    but I think it doesnt related to frequency response , correct me if I'm wrong
    any way I repeat mesearements after couple of hours to ensure M7 warm up enough

13. DACLadder
    Which DSP operational mode are you using - OS or NOS? I believe NOS rolls off to -3dB. The Yggy is interesting as it rolls off about -3dB on low side starting at 200 Hz.

14. Alireza326
    I never understand which DSP mode is ( audio gd site info is confusing)
    but, jumper is on bypass situation , I think it is kingwa's default configuration
    older versions of M7 doesn't support NOS mode as I know
    probably it would be better to find a digital scope to test RCA and XLR out put
    I really confused what is happened and how i can repair it

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  15. DACLadder
    That was an interesting issue with conversion of the old M7 to SIngularity DSP. For whatever reason the 1st Singularity board sent to me would not boot up consistently. I sent this board back to Kingwa and he said he could no find an issue. I had him send me a 2nd board that did much better. I did not completely resolve the issue as the old M7 was packed up and moved about the same time. The 2nd replacement board was better but could get it to do the same on repeated restarts of the warm DAC. Cold DAC starts are OK. The AGD procedure now is to wait 30 sec. before reapplying power.

The issue was discovered while constantly rebooting a warm DAC testing various DSP modes. But if the DAC sounds OK from the beginning then it will sound good until possible another power restart. Others users did not have this issue and my other two SIngularity DSP equipped DACs never have issue unless I don't wait enough time before reapplying power.

First

Back
258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267
269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276
Next

Last