Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Sep 23, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #4,306 of 4,449
The ‘honeymoon‘ is good with HE7 mk2. No regrets with the purchase. The break-in is a joy with the HE7 mk2. In comparison the R7HE mk2 is a rollercoaster ride in for 1,000hrs.

Kingwa has a lot of PCM1704UK chips - maybe enough for 100 HE7s. However, Kingwa told me yesterday that he would make more money selling the chips and be far easier than building 100 DACs. If he sells chip stock we may see DAC prices increase as the number of chips get more scarce. And eventually no new product. PCM1704 DAC prices won’t ever be this low again (sept. 2021). Just my hunch and assumptions based on communication with Kingwa yesterday.

Sep 23, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #4,307 of 4,449
Kingwa has a lot of PCM1704UK chips - maybe enough for 100 HE7s. However, Kingwa told me yesterday that he would make more money selling the chips and be far easier than building 100 DACs. If he sells chip stock we may see DAC prices increase as the number of chips get more scarce. And eventually no new product. PCM1704 DAC prices won’t ever be this low again (sept. 2021).
Not exactly. Only truth is that prices for PCM1704 based DACs will raise continuously.

Sep 25, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #4,308 of 4,449
As the news report, when FiiO announced M11 plus limited, it faced the similar situation on the AK4497 chip which model was discontinued by AKM, and AKM chip prices went rocket-high in May. (google translate link; news link in Chinese.)

I think the responsible producer will consider both the customer and supply chain relationships more than the short-term profits on the situation.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #4,309 of 4,449
I think the responsible producer will consider both the customer and supply chain relationships more than the short-term profits on the situation.
Shortage of PCM1704 is long, AKM story hit on the top of popular demand, it will be replaced by other product. The most critical is a shortage of FPGA/CPLD chips. A sudden jump in prising, shortly after Baiden announced a new economy profile similar to the post-WWW-II cold war, is indicative either redirection of production for military customers or simply technology transfer restrictions, now targeting China. It is not going to go away, it only can go worse.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #4,310 of 4,449
Good Morning all. This has likely been coved but it is a new to me issue so here goes. I switched up my PC to a new NUC , I put Linux Mint OS on the NUC. I Run J-River Media Center 27 as my player. I was running USB directly to my Master 7 with Amanero combo 384. For the first time I can hear the PC through the speakers. If there is processing happening I can hear noise clicks pops etc...
I hooked up my SingXer su1 and am now running 12s with a quality 12" HDMI cable. I can still hear the PC though at a lower level now. I am considering some form of isolation for the USB most of the info on the net is hard to navigate at best. Anyone here ran into this ? How did you solve it ? I am not opposed to getting something better than the SU-1 if it helps lose the noise. Any info appreciated

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #4,311 of 4,449
@joespride What noises are you experiencing? AC hum or some digital noise? Are all components on the same power source with common AC grounding?

In the dark ages of PC audio experienced noises but all quiet since employing a Furman power conditioner and feeding AC power to all components including the PC from this single power source. Have used a Schiit Wyrd USB decrapifier (active repeater) in the past but not needed with power conditioning. You may have something else going on but check the basics first. My Singxers are totally quiet.

Another thought if the simple NUC power brick is not grounded then you may have a floating ground between PC and DCC. An active USB repeater may help in this case.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #4,312 of 4,449
No hum, its digital noise, I have a balanced power conditioner that everything connects to. My files range from 44.1 / 16 up through DSD. It seems some of the isolators can not support higher file rates. My Master 7 is an older version..............I dont think the DAC is the issue, I am positive it is PC passing noise along the usb cable (wireworld starlight 7 usb cable)

Joe

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #4,313 of 4,449
Looks like you need to try a filter or active repeater. The issue happens with both the Amanero and Singxers. The Amanero does not use USB +5V but does connect USB ground to the system. The Singxers use USB +5V/gnd but also utilizes galvanic isolation between the XMOS chip and digital I2S output to the DAC. Appears the PC may just have a lot of 'junk' on the USB power outputs.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #4,315 of 4,449
@joespride. Check this post, it can be the same case.

However, it is most probably problem with Linux or player configuration. Is your DAC selected as a default sound device? In first step change in Linux default system sound device to something else (not your DAC).

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #4,316 of 4,449
@joespride. Check this post, it can be the same case.

However, it is most probably problem with Linux or player configuration. Is your DACselected as a default sound device? In first step change in Linux default system sound device to something else (not your DAC).
Will do thanks for the link

Joe

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #4,317 of 4,449
I'm in an older apartment building and only my kitchen stove is grounded properly. So I run all my gear with no ground. Removed the ground wire connection in my power cables and never looked back. Haven't been electrocuted yet 😈

Sep 27, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #4,318 of 4,449
If you have love for the PCM1704, the HE7 mk2 is perhaps the best tribute to the DAC chip. Thumbs up! Definitely a clearer, more detailed Master 7. Lively, driving sound. Smooth in the mids - vocals, brass, saxes. Very good bass. Fun DAC and a joy to behold!

Comparing… the R7HE is more detailed and transparent. And R7HE mk2 is a demanding DAC to own and requires a lot of patience with 1000hr burn in.. After the stormy break-in period the R7HE mk2 will expose your weak components and lousy recordings for all they are worth. So takes dedication to get to holy grail level with the R7HE mk2. After 7 months I’m not quite there yet. On the other hand, the HE7 mk2 sounds great out of the shipping box. Both are great DACs but I get fatigued always auditioning equipment and judging. The HE7 begs me to relax and enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,319 of 4,449
After 5 wks the HE7 MK2 is all but broken in. Kingwa's f/w upgrade (PLL_N) is sounding very, very good. I cannot get enough of the HE7 MK2 and look forward each morning to turning on the music system. Internal synchronous USB sounding excellent as well as DI20HE over I2S. Hope I don't wake up from this dream of bliss!

HE7 MK2 is extremely dynamic and similar to the old M7s with low jitter source. The R7HE MK2 is not quite as lively but perhaps more accurate. The older M7s sound much warmer in comparison to the HE7 MK2. But the HE7 has better everything... depth, imaging, bass, clear vocals, silky highs. The MK2 electronics add so much precision to the sound that is hard to argue the benefits of the older DACs.

The HE7 MK2 is highly recommended.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #4,320 of 4,449
This is interesting because just as you were writing this I was making a mental reminder to ask you today how the new gear is going.

My 8 year old M7 paired with the new DI-20HE has made me aware of how good a dac can sound and I have the upgrade bug again. I am going to use the tired cliché about hearing long favorite albums for the first time but it has happened.

I recently got a pair of the very neutral Hifiman HE6se and it just digs deep into what the M7 can deliver. Together they bring out the small finer details and texture of musical instruments that draws you in and keeps you listening. I would try one song in an album just to take a listen and next be at the beginning, sitting back to enjoy the whole thing.

And so now we have a new modern and HE version M7 to consider. Nice to hear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back