Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Jan 8, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #826 of 878
Wait, are the clicks in the headphones themselves (in which case: on both channels?) or is it just from the unit itself? In the latter case, it's the internal relays doing their job.
If it's only on one channel then something is weird.

For me the unit itself clicks, and occasionally both channels.drop out.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #828 of 878
After reading a bit of this thread, my reference 10 does this as well at numerous volume points. I'm also of the impression (from some long forgot link to an article somewhere) that you should not control the volume through foobar unless it's re-sampling 16 bit material to 24 or higher. Something about the material losing bit depth and the dac receiving lower bit depth material. (16 bit stuff gets sent out as 15, 14, 13 bit etc. instead)

Please correct me if i'm wrong, i'll be seeing if I can find that potentially imaginary article.

IMO if you have a good volume control on your preamp then you should disable volume in the music software.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #829 of 878
Hi all,

There appears to be some confusion, let me try and clarify.

I'm experiencing popping noises from actual headphones/speakers when adjusting volume. I also get the clicking noises from the unit but that i'm aware is normal as it's the relay system.

The popping occurs in both channels and happens only when I adjust the volume on the M-9.

I never adjust the volume in my software or windows, only from the m-9.  I think Kingwa also thinks i'm refering to the clicking noises of the relay system but i'm not. I have emailed again to clarify.

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #830 of 878
Hi all,

So it seems this popping (break in the signal path) is normal according to Kingwa and has been discussed on head-fi previously. His response below:

The relays volume not only have the machine click in the unit , but the relays points have break and close the signal path cause the click in the signal during change the volume, this matter have discuss in headfi long time ago and this is normal.

I guess i'll have to just get used to hearing popping noises every few increments when adjusting the volume.

Small trade off for the amazing sound quality i guess :)

What I find confusing is that some people in this thread are experiencing the popping nosie whilst others aren't - unless of course the people who say they aren't just can't hear it, but it's quite audibile IMO.

After reviewing the last couple of pages people who hear the popping:

1. blitzxgene
  2. drez
  3. undersys

People who don't:
  1. ALRAINBOW

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #831 of 878
I know this is not gereral if the users first time use the relays based volume control system.

Most products's volume port have applied the potentiometer have not any noise while change the volume, but the poteniometer is the worst volume control, usually have long wires connect to signal and imbalance exist .

The better is the step switch volume port , most have 24 to 48 steps, it is have not imbalance , but too less steps, and the signal connect to the volume have long wires cause the sound degrade.
And the steps volume port usually have same or even large level click noise in the signal than the relays based volume .

The another better volume port is the hifi Logic chips based volume port,, it can install close the circuit and no imbalance, but the impedance of the Logic chips is large, cause the signal have through the impedance and less applied now. Usually this mode still have the click while change the volume .

The relays have very low impedance in the relays and close the circuit , no imbalance, more steps , best in my mind .
So in our products, the low range have the ALPS volume port, no click .
High and mid range all with relays. More expensive, more complex design on the software  , but just for better responsed on the sound quality.
Kingwa

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #832 of 878
  I know this is not gerenal if the users first time use the relays based volume control system.

Most products's volume port have applied the potentiometer have not any noise while change the volume, but the poteniometer is the worst volume control, usually have long wires connect to signal and imbalance exist .

The better is the step switch volume port , most have 24 to 48 steps, it is have not imbalance , but too less steps, and the signal connect to the volume have long wires cause the sound degrade.
And the steps volume port usually have same or even large level click noise in the signal than the relays based volume .

The another better volume port is the hifi Logic chips based volume port,, it can install close the circuit and no imbalance, but the impedance of the Logic chips is large, cause the signal have through the impedance and less applied now. Usually this mode still have the click while change the volume .

The relays have very low impedance in the relays and close the circuit , no imbalance, more steps , best in my mind .
High and mid range all with relays. More expensive, more complex design on the software  , but just for better responsed on the sound quality.
Kingwa

Hi Kingwa,

Thanks for clearing this up - and clarification! much appreciated. 1st Class customer service as always :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #833 of 878
I did not mean I do not hear clicking , as I do not own a M9. I own a M8. And there is no clicking. I think I did I say that I have a dac that does cut the sound when changing volume .

Al

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #834 of 878
I did not mean I do not hear clicking , as I do not own a M9. I own a M8. And there is no clicking. I think I did I say that I have a dac that does cut the sound when changing volume .

Al

Hi Al,

Oh I see, I understand, sorry missunderstood. What dac do you use?

Jan 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #836 of 878
  I know this is not gereral if the users first time use the relays based volume control system.

Kingwa

Nice explained Kingwa!

I can hear the relays clicking from the volume control itself on my Master 9, but nothing through the headphones and no popping or drop out.

I also have a Burson Soloist that has a step switch volume port. It have a larger level of click noise, fewer steps and a bit of popping and drop out then changing volume. Some people have reported that they after a while get some serious problems with the Soloist volume port and need to clean it. I have not experienced it with my and if I have understands it right it’s caused by dust in the port.

I for one really like the Master 9’s relay based exponential volume and the remote, very user friendly and exact.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #838 of 878

5 db steps are way too large for me. I like to be able to tune in the exact listing levels, which I can with booth the Soloist and Master 9. The volume on the 9 is just smoother and more user friendly IMO.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #839 of 878

Nice explained Kingwa!

I can hear the relays clicking from the volume control itself on my Master 9, but nothing through the headphones and no popping or drop out.

I also have a Burson Soloist that has a step switch volume port. It have a larger level of click noise, fewer steps and a bit of popping and drop out then changing volume. Some people have reported that they after a while get some serious problems with the Soloist volume port and need to clean it. I have not experienced it with my and if I have understands it right it’s caused by dust in the port.

I for one really like the Master 9’s relay based exponential volume and the remote, very user friendly and exact.

What i don't understand then is how you are not experiencing the popping through the headphones and I am?

Is it purely down to luck depending on hour the units are put together whether you'd get one which make the popping noise or not?

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #840 of 878

Okay I have tried some more and I can some time, but only like every 5e time or so detect a very minor click through the headphones (still not really popping) then change from 40 to 39 and the same from 48 to 47. This never happens then I turn the volume up.

I don’t have any good explanation to this more than what I sometime detect as a very small relay clicking must be much higher in your M9, by reasons I don’t understands, and consequently make a popping sound. My Burson Soloist who has a higher level of click noise creates a bit of popping then changing volume. More so then going down than up.

Is the popping sound very loud and do you get it then using the remote as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back