Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Mar 15, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,711 of 2,556
Looks like this mod will make it a NOS DAC only. Not like the normal Master 11 and Master 7 there one could select between oversampling and NOS with jumpers.

From the AGD NOS 7 page:

“The oversampling design and NOS design had different sound characteristic, it is not which is better but depend on the customer's prefer. We can't exact explain the different in English, please search in web.”

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #1,712 of 2,556
Still curious about what the 2 NOS modes are and how they differ from the M11s current NOS mode. On the M11 page, Kingwa does say that the new NOS modes don't output any nois so is there a new low pass filter being applied?

Also, he seems to be pushing the fact that it can do 768KHz (384KHz now and 768KHz if/when a new USB interface is available to be precise). So does this mean that he's implementing the NOS modes specifically for those that want to upsample on a PC? If he was looking at this as a pure Redbook or 24/96 or 24/192 NOS solution, then 768KHz input should not be important at all.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #1,713 of 2,556
This will not be something that can be upgraded by the user.

it requires a NEW clock and also a surface mount firmware ic chip to replace the m11 firmware.

If you wanted to change you'd have to have it shipped back and pay for the parts upgrade I believe.

Either way. I may have it done simply so I can translate to everyone what to expect from it and how it sounds in comparison to the M11.

I'm a bit worried as it says it rejects the master clock input...not sure if that means the one that is sent in from HDMI i2s from my DIU8.
trying to clarify.

but I don't think so. Kingwa will get back to me with a long list of questions to clarify the overall changes in the NOS11

I'm not sure about the high sample rates even being a big deal to me. I wish he could give a rough idea of the sound differences. <shrug>
to be honest, nothing sounds bad on the M11 with all jumper settings changed around..they just sound a little diff here and there.

my fav setting is in NOS, yet has the noise he speaks of.... maybe why this NOS11 dac was even made.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #1,714 of 2,556
Maybe Kingwa can send us the entire board, still probably cheaper than to ship both ways.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #1,715 of 2,556
The entire dac board?! No way.
That's too expensive. And not easy to install even that.
You are suggesting the whole center Dac board? With four pcm1704uk's multiple tcxo's , regulators , tons of caps and basically 2/3rd the cost of the whole unit?
Not likely. I wish. Not going to count on it.
I don't know if you have had a look at the center pcb and have seen how complex it is? Definitely not cheaper than shipping both ways.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,716 of 2,556
Right that makes sense. A couple posts earlier, another member quoted Kingwa saying that the upgrade doesn't require soldering, so I'm hoping Kingwa has a clever upgrade solution in mind.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,717 of 2,556
Just for an idea of costs for those who haven't shipped it back you're looking at $400 shipping costs ($250 there, $150 back) + whatever kingwa wants for parts/labor if you want to sidegrade to the nos version

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #1,718 of 2,556
Right that makes sense. A couple posts earlier, another member quoted Kingwa saying that the upgrade doesn't require soldering, so I'm hoping Kingwa has a clever upgrade solution in mind.

There is no solution to switching your m11 to nos11.
They are different models and require a dedicated clock for the DSP as well as a soldered firmware ic.
It's not something that can be done outside of shipping to Kingwa and paying for shipping costs and parts. But it's an upgrade to some and a downgrade for some. Depends if you like the sound. It's just "different"
I find I like the stock nos sound on the m11 yet has an issue with the right channel and its master clock data causing noise that can be perceived as a loss in volume. I use jriver and bump the right channel up about 4db and it sounds natural again.
The new nos11 uses an external dedicated clock for this process so both channels are balanced.
Nos dacs kinda suck in many ways but are great in others. It seems Kingwa has made the nos11 to be quite special and avoid all the crap that nos dacs usually have.
I likely will still have my m11 shipped there to swap parts to nos11... Why? Do I can report back to others and describe the difference in English :)

I don't see it as throwing money at the situation. I surely don't expect Kingwa to pick up the tab on the conversion. If you love nos and the nos on your m11 isn't good enough, sell the m11 and buy a new nos11.
Or just be happy! Or spend money to convert it. But it may or may not be worth it.
Kingwa won't describe the sound of the nos11 but he does admit he really likes the sound of the nos11 and the master11. They are just different .
I don't think he wants to say which one is better, because it's not a matter of which is better... It's a personal taste. I do think the oversampling of the m11 is my nearly as nice as the nos mode I'm currently running.
No doubt about it.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #1,719 of 2,556
Now it makes sense why he wants to wait until some user reviews of the NOS 1704s are out before allowing upgrades.

Kingwa's added the following info to the NOS dac pages. Would it be correct to say that 6db/octave is a fairly gentle analog filter and that NOS dacs typically have steeper filter implementations? In contrast, I wonder what the attenuation of the normal M11's filter is per octave.

In the design had applied -6db /oct passive analog filter , you can hear the wonderful sound of the NOS but you can't hear the noise as other some NOS design .
100 people may had 99 type prefers . We had design two NOS modes in the software for users select.
One is the best speed data process, another is applied large algorithm to process the data.

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #1,722 of 2,556
Anyone know if warranty is transferable on AUDIO-gd gear?

yes, the warranty follows the serial #

which is also the sales order #

so kingwa can tell when the unit was sold and the warranty is tied to that date...not the person who owned it first.

I've asked him about this before. so I know.

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #1,725 of 2,556
Thanks everyone on the warranty info. Just bought Soundsgoodtome's DI-U8 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back