Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Mar 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,651 of 2,556
If the jumper ON means DSP is working, then the jumper OFF should mean DSP is Bypassed? If that's the case nothing you put on ATT, PLL, or IPS jumpers will affect the sound if BYPASS jumper is off.
But according to this reviewer on the Master 7 NOS settings:
http://www.modelpromo.nl/Audio-GD_Master7-Amanero_NOS.htm
"I liked my "NOS" mode better (without the "bypass" jumper) because I found that the music sounded this way more energetic, and also the bass was better defined."

He also mentioned in conclusion: "But I could hear differences between "my" NOS and 2X oversampling mode "without" using the bypass jumper...
And this is contradiction on earlier statement... so this issue is something I will investigate

It seems it's not as simple as that, and the BYPASS jumper also plays into the overall sound variable, in combination with PLL, IPS and ATT.

I also experimented with his setting last night, with Jumpers on BYPASS, IPS0, IPS1, ATT0, ATT1,PLL. Then compared the same settings with just the BYPASS jumper removed. The sound was more energetic as described by the reviewer with the jumper off.

“If the jumper ON means DSP is working, then the jumper OFF should mean DSP is Bypassed? If that's the case nothing you put on ATT, PLL, or IPS jumpers will affect the sound if BYPASS jumper is off.” Exactly!

“But according to this reviewer on the Master 7 NOS settings:” I can only tell you how I hear it!

My experience on Master 7 with different jumper settings isn’t that the change is primarily going from neutral to warm, as it is described on the Audio GD homepage. It more complex than that.

Different settings will change many SQ aspect, some I liked and others I didn’t like so much. No setting is more than I little bit better than the stock and most sounds less good in the long run. Only this combination: PLLEN, IPS0 and ATT1 sounded a bit better than the stock IMO.

Compared to stock sound (with only the jumper on DSP-1 board in place) the sound gets more revealing, energetic, richer and resolving with jumper on ATT1 (90 dB stopband) and IPS0 (2 x oversampling) and PLLEN. The sound also gets a little bit less focused and more mid centric with this setting, but the effect is tiny.

If you put in the same as above and also put in a jumper on ATT0 (50 dB stopband) the sound gets even more energetic, revealing and very mid centric, but the soundstage is very smeared out and the treble start to sound glary/edgy and lose some nice sparkles IME.    

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,652 of 2,556
Thank you Articnoise for your settings and sound impressions. I will also try out 2xOversampling, 90db Stopband, and PLLEN.

However, with the BYPASS jumper removed, I can still hear differences with jumpers on IPSx, ATTx compared to no jumpers. Have you tried just removing your BYPASS jumper with just jumper on ATT1 (90 dB stopband) and IPS0 (2 x oversampling) and PLLEN? I believe you will hear difference in sound. (And no I don't think it will be set to NOS & 50db stopband either).

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,653 of 2,556
Well i've got jumpers on IPS1, IPS0, ATT0, ATT1, PLLEN

and sounds sublime.

definitely a different sound signature. No issues with it sounding off. The PLLEN is on or jumper is on it. This often is not ok for most people from what I understand unless you have an excellent source... or my modded DIU8 w/ ndks feeding it through HDMi i2s

I would love to know what the other jumpers are below the main set...the ones labeled CLKS1 CLKS0 OWS1 OWS0

I'm wondering if it would change some of the master clock settings. Just curious is all. Anyone know? or is this a kingwa question... no reference, but odd they are on the board. they must do something.

I still ended up going back to having my typical settings

BYPASS jumper is ON or jumper installed on the two pins

and 

PLLEN is ON as well

that's the best SQ imho for my setup. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,654 of 2,556

and sounds sublime.

definitely a different sound signature. No issues with it sounding off. The PLLEN is on or jumper is on it. This often is not ok for most people from what I understand unless you have an excellent source... or my modded DIU8 w/ ndks feeding it through HDMi i2s

I would love to know what the other jumpers are below the main set...the ones labeled CLKS1 CLKS0 OWS1 OWS0

I'm wondering if it would change some of the master clock settings. Just curious is all. Anyone know? or is this a kingwa question... no reference, but odd they are on the board. they must do something.

and 

PLLEN is ON as well

Bimmer, with jumpers on IPS1, IPS0, ATT0, ATT1, PLLEN, would you mind trying both putting a jumper on BYPASS and removing the jumper? Can you tell the sonic difference? Both are suposed to be NOS and 50db right?

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,655 of 2,556
  Thank you Articnoise for your settings and sound impressions. I will also try out 2xOversampling, 90db Stopband, and PLLEN.

However, with the BYPASS jumper removed, I can still hear differences with jumpers on IPSx, ATTx compared to no jumpers. Have you tried just removing your BYPASS jumper with just jumper on ATT1 (90 dB stopband) and IPS0 (2 x oversampling) and PLLEN? I believe you will hear difference in sound. (And no I don't think it will be set to NOS & 50db stopband either).

I have never removed the BYPASS jumper and I don’t have the Master 7 anymore so I cannot say how it’s working in reality. In theory it should turn of (bypass) the entire board.

Strange, if you have the BYPASS jumper removed, and still can hear differences then putting in jumpers on IPSx, ATTx the BYPASS jumper is not turning the whole DSP-1 board off.

Can you take a picture of the DSP-1 with the BYPASS jumper removed? 

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,656 of 2,556

and sounds sublime.

and 

PLLEN is ON as well

PLLEN is on default, then no jumper is in place.

With the PLLEN turn of the source has to be good otherwise it won’t sound superior.

I have never heard of anyone tweaking with CLKS1 CLKS0 OWS1 OWS0. I would consult Kingwa before doing it.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #1,657 of 2,556

I have never removed the BYPASS jumper and I don’t have the Master 7 anymore so I cannot say how it’s working in reality. In theory it should turn of (bypass) the entire board.

Strange, if you have the BYPASS jumper removed, and still can hear differences then putting in jumpers on IPSx, ATTx the BYPASS jumper is not turning the whole DSP-1 board off.

Can you take a picture of the DSP-1 with the BYPASS jumper removed? 

This is the jumpers settings with the BYPASS jumper removed.

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,658 of 2,556
  This is the jumpers settings with the BYPASS jumper removed.

The correct jumper is removed so the DSP-1 board should be disconnected and no other jumper on the board should make any differences. If you still can hear difference with jumpers on IPSx, ATTx etc compared to no jumpers the board cannot be bypassed (disconnected). I think you should contact Kingwa and explain this issue and see what he has to say. Best to keep it simple. You could for example ask this and add the photo:

Why is not the whole DSP-1 board bypassed and disconnected then I remove the BYPASS jumper? With the BYPASS jumper removed, I can still hear differences then putting jumpers on IPSO, ATTO etc compared to no jumpers. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #1,659 of 2,556
Shortly after I purchased my M11 last year, I posted in this thread that the BYPASS jumper does not do anything for me. The BYPASS pins are already permanently shorted (according to my multimeter) and putting jumper on or off will not make a difference, at least on my unit. I have not asked Kingwa about this though as if I ever want to bypass the DSP fully, I just need to put on jumpers on the right pins. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #1,661 of 2,556
I'll be interested to know how Audio-gd test for this kind of problem.

On a similar topic, Kingwa sent me an active MCU for replacement, however I have no idea what to do to replace one. Grace pointed me to the user manual, but that doesn't have any instruction. I guess there's some miscommunication and I will have to try harder.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,662 of 2,556
I'll be interested to know how Audio-gd test for this kind of problem.

On a similar topic, Kingwa sent me an active MCU for replacement, however I have no idea what to do to replace one. Grace pointed me to the user manual, but that doesn't have any instruction. I guess there's some miscommunication and I will have to try harder.

I am curious as well since their normal methods likely won't detect it. Personally I'd give it a poor ground and expose it to static to see if they're right that it spikes under those circumstances but I'm not sure they will since it seems like they're following standard procedure of using their bench testing tool for 3 days.

Bimmer had some instructions earlier in the thread.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,663 of 2,556
Quick question.

Does anyone know the BEST sounding (all other things being equal) input on the Audio GD master 11, RCA S/PDIF, TOSLINK, BNC etc?

Also, as BNC is S/PDIF just like RCA S/PDIF inputs and perhaps closer to the 75 ohm specification, why is it rated at 96K while the RCA S/PDIF input is rated at 192K?

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,664 of 2,556
Quick question.

Does anyone know the BEST sounding (all other things being equal) input on the Audio GD master 11, RCA S/PDIF, TOSLINK, BNC etc?

Also, as BNC is S/PDIF just like RCA S/PDIF inputs and perhaps closer to the 75 ohm specification, why is it rated at 96K while the RCA S/PDIF input is rated at 192K?

Without question,
HDMI i2s

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,665 of 2,556
Without question,

HDMI i2s

Sadly not speaking of I2S (my Master 11 is RJ45) and even then it's depending on the converter (USB>I2S) but yes, I have the HDMI input on my Master 7.

That said, I have some options for S/PDIF input/output, RCA, BNC or TOSLINK from a Wyred4Sound Remedy Reclocker. Ordering a BNC S/PDIF cable from Blue Jeans Cable and wondering about why the BNC input is rated lower speedwise than the RCA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back