Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Feb 17, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #1,426 of 2,556
Wow that was quick, did you get the price you asked for?  Good to know the M11 has good resale value.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #1,428 of 2,556
Yep. I asked what I thought was a fair price and covered PayPal and shipping. I can't believe that as one of the most passionate fans of the Master-11, I was also the first to sell it. I'm crazy.

So sad to see you sell it. Kinda shocked. But I'm sure you must really be hurting to have to give it up. Makes sense if you simply can't afford to keep such nice toys. I have considered selling all my gear, but don't want to think about how much I've spent in the last year alone. Kinda crazy. But this hobby is pretty time consuming.
I don't plan to ever buy another amp again, but I'm playing with the idea of building a DIY Dac and amp for fun. Still deciding on what one to do. Maybe a twisted pear setup. Not for certain.
I want to do some real hands on DIY stuff before I give up with tinkering

It would be incredibly difficult for me to let my m11 go.
Sad to see bogfiggins wasn't able to grab that from him. But I don't expect to have him get a m11 until sometime after they discontinue it :) hahaha. Maybe 2017 or something.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #1,429 of 2,556
I bought my M11 some new power stuff. In the same room as the M11, I have a couple of older space heaters that I won't replace. When turned off, either one of them can emit an EMP that can temporarily freeze the screen of an antenna fed digital TV or have the M11 drop it's USB connection until power is cycled. Not good. Probably gonna fry a chip at some point. So I got a Supra Power Block and Supra power cable to feed it from the wall. The block is basically a filtered, surge protected, shielded 6 output power strip. I got the Supra block as it says it protects against Lightening. I had a client who lived where there are a lot of lightening storms. They would unplug their mainframe from the wall to protect it, only to have the system fried when the strike came in through the phone line via the modem. I digress. So my power problems are solved. AND my M11 sounds a bit better. It is subtle but audible. The M11 sounds more Solid. I have the occasion to pound on a workbench. With a lightweight bench, things bounce a little when pounding. I have a WWII rock solid workbench. Pound all you want. Nothing bounces. The new power is like that.
I finally received my Norne Draug II balanced cable for my HD800 set. I have been using a Venus Audio balanced cable. First, the ND II cable was made in Rivendale for Elrond. It sounds better. Instruments, Voices and in the case of Gaga, "Things" all have better separation and better definition. I heard new "Things" I had not caught before in my best Test Recordings. Impossible! Everything has a sharper edge. But in a good way. My hd800's now have even more resolution with no treble harshness. And the bass is extended as well. So I listened with my new Norne Draug II cable for a couple of days and then added my new power goodies. The result was the new power re-inforced and added to the results described above.
Great, Just Great. Cables. Something else to obsess on.

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #1,430 of 2,556
So sad to see you sell it. Kinda shocked. But I'm sure you must really be hurting to have to give it up. Makes sense if you simply can't afford to keep such nice toys. I have considered selling all my gear, but don't want to think about how much I've spent in the last year alone. Kinda crazy. But this hobby is pretty time consuming.
I don't plan to ever buy another amp again, but I'm playing with the idea of building a DIY Dac and amp for fun. Still deciding on what one to do. Maybe a twisted pear setup. Not for certain.
I want to do some real hands on DIY stuff before I give up with tinkering

It would be incredibly difficult for me to let my m11 go.
Sad to see bogfiggins wasn't able to grab that from him. But I don't expect to have him get a m11 until sometime after they discontinue it
smily_headphones1.gif
hahaha. Maybe 2017 or something.

I've had the thought of building a T3 as the consensus is that it's really high value, being able to stand on its own against 1000$+ USD amplifiers.
You can supposedly build one for about 550 USD.
http://www.diyforums.org/Torpedo-III/TorpedoIII-overview.php

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #1,432 of 2,556
Is the Audio-GD Master 11 the ultimate DAC/Headphone setup?

Perhaps not, says Ivan!

Even better?

Audio-GD Master 7 DAC feeding the Audio-GD Master 11 Headphone Amp!

Yep, the DAC setup (8 PCM1704U-K vs. 4 PCM1704U-K) in the Master 7 seems to be even better that the one in the Master 11, at least to these old ears.

And that's both units COLD without more than a few minutes warm up.

Just brought the Master 7 down from the main system listening room to the Headphone setup near my easy chair and sat it directly on to top of the Master 11 to see if I could discern a difference between the two by using the Master 7 as DAC and RCA out to the pre-amp/headphone amp inputs on the Master 11.

Am I saying that this 96 page thread is improperly labeled(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)? Not really. But I guess we should expect that the DAC in a $2300 DAC to be a bit better than the DAC in a $2200 DAC/Headphone Amp?

8 PCM1704U-K should be better than 4 PCM1704U-K?

And so it seems to be.

That would be with direct A-B testing, same track, within a few minutes at most.

The difference? The Master 7 feeding the Master 11 Headphone amp (HD-600 Balanced) seems to have a 'richer', 'fuller' sound. Not warmer, but bigger, fuller.

Worry not, both pieces stay.

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #1,434 of 2,556
  I would like to pay the premium for a 8 PCM1704U-K Master 11 Plus if they have.

The single unit would be way too big.

Audio-GD Master-7 + Audio-GD Master-9 is what you'd need to get to go bigger/better.

The Master-7 by itself is the same size as the entire Master-11. The Master-9 by itself is also the same size as the entire Master-11.

They'd have to make a single unit that is twice the size of the Master-11 at least (probably larger). It would weigh something like 30kg. 

Feb 20, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,435 of 2,556
I have a question then.
I have a Weiss DAC 202 and a Bryston BHA-1.
While being a very good DAC, the Weiss still has the delta sigma sound that bother me.
Now I hesitate between just take the Master 7 or the Master 11.
What seems to be a benefits of the Master 11 is the ACSS that would be used in the dac/amp chain.
What is the advantage of ACSS /vs xlr?
Is the amp in the master 11 better than the Bryston?
Thank you for your help.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,436 of 2,556
So consider me person number 3 who's had the volume flip out. Stood up and all of a sudden there was a huge channel imbalance towards the left side which got super super loud and either popped really loudly or shocked me (either way it didn't feel nice). I reacted quickly and a turn of the vol knob corrected it but this is very troubling considering I'm not the only one that this has happened to. It's not remote interference as there's nothing else with a signal in the room and not static discharge since I wasn't touching anything when it happened. I've had it for less than 15 days so if I send it back and they find something they'll send me a new unit and give me the shipping costs back but if they find nothing I'm on the hook for shipping to them and back to me which is ridiculous for a warranty. I really don't know what I'm going to do at this point.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,437 of 2,556
  So consider me person number 3 who's had the volume flip out. Stood up and all of a sudden there was a huge channel imbalance towards the left side which got super super loud and either popped really loudly or shocked me (either way it didn't feel nice). I reacted quickly and a turn of the vol knob corrected it but this is very troubling considering I'm not the only one that this has happened to. It's not remote interference as there's nothing else with a signal in the room and not static discharge since I wasn't touching anything when it happened. I've had it for less than 15 days so if I send it back and they find something they'll send me a new unit and give me the shipping costs back but if they find nothing I'm on the hook for shipping to them and back to me which is ridiculous for a warranty. I really don't know what I'm going to do at this point.

strange... all you did was stand up?

did you email kingwa already? i'd assume so. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #1,438 of 2,556

strange... all you did was stand up?

did you email kingwa already? i'd assume so. 

Yup that's it. Wasn't touching it, didn't hit the remote, wasn't touching my headphones.

I did. Told him I'd hold onto it for now to see if it happens again and if it does I want to send it to him with shipping on their end regardless of whether or not they find anything. I'm aware that their warranty specifies that if they don't find anything the customer is on the hook for shipping but since I'm the third who has had this happen I don't see why I should settle for less. So we'll see what happens here.

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #1,439 of 2,556
  Has anyone experienced M11 with He-1000 ? Please kindly comment. Thank you.

yes, I've spent a ton of time with the HE1000 and the M11. It's quite amazing, and one of the best pairings i've heard with the HE1000.

I also own the HEX and HD800.

had the HE560, THX00 as well. sold those. 

all of them sound amazing on the M11. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,440 of 2,556

Yup that's it. Wasn't touching it, didn't hit the remote, wasn't touching my headphones.

I did. Told him I'd hold onto it for now to see if it happens again and if it does I want to send it to him with shipping on their end regardless of whether or not they find anything. I'm aware that their warranty specifies that if they don't find anything the customer is on the hook for shipping but since I'm the third who has had this happen I don't see why I should settle for less. So we'll see what happens here.

he will check it with Audio Precision SYS-2722 and find out if anything can be figured out. That gear should allow to find any components malfunctioning.

although it would be cool if Audio-Gd would get the new APX555

If you're experiencing an issue, it's likely he will find out what it is. They test each unit for well over 100hours. Sad that there are a few units that have had this issue.Hopefully they will figure this out asap and make sure it won't happen again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back