Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #811 of 2,556

In fairness, there is even a package of spare jumpers included with the product, so playing with jumpers is an expected behavior.  What is less expected in channel imbalance as one works their way from 8x oversampling to 0x oversampling.

Admittedly, I intended to keep this thing as it was shipped as it makes no sense for a manufacturer to shop a product configured for less than the best possible sound.

But still.

Ok, so the purpose was to try different oversampling options.  Quite honestly, some of the documentation is rather unintelligible IMO.  But they've definitely got a few problems, and apparently even glued a jumper or two (?) in place to make sure those problems don't surface in the hands of users.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #812 of 2,556
Sorry if I missed it, but why were you playing around with the jumper settings in the first place?  Just to tinker, or was there a specific purpose?

Thanks.  Just curious because as I consider the M11, I'm starting to get turned off by the sloppy work I'm seeing in some of these pictures.  Glue, sloppy soldering, etc.

They're messing with jumpers because you can change settings with them as described on the website.

I have one on the way and will open it up after listening for a while as well. I wouldn't be too worried about intentional shorts and glue--if you look in almost any electronic device, there's some amount of it.

Assuming it's intentional and serves its purpose functionally, the fact that it's not pretty looking is inconsequential.

That said, if the channel imbalance some people are describing in NOS mode exists and is the fault of the design or workmanship, that's a problem.

I wonder if that's done by Audio-GD, Amanero, or a third party. Is the workmanship superior on the rest of the interior compared to the DSP?

Looking forward to receiving mine and digging into its options.

For those getting channel imbalance in NOS, is it present in both the balanced and single-ended outputs?

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #813 of 2,556

Ok, so the purpose was to try different oversampling options.  Quite honestly, some of the documentation is rather unintelligible IMO.  But they've definitely got a few problems, and apparently even glued a jumper or two (?) in place to make sure those problems don't surface in the hands of users.

At least on my unit, only ONE jumper is in place on the board and that's the one that is hot-glued in place, all the rest are in a little plastic bag and the pins on the board are open.

Just a guess but if King Wa didn't want you playing with that jumpers then why put the instructions as to how to change them on his web page?

I'm guessing it's hot-glued in place to keep it popping off during shipping?

Who knows?

As far as those two pins being shorted purposely, I have not confirmed that on my unit.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #814 of 2,556
i had that glob of glue on the BYPASS jumper as well as on the DITHER pins and had to removed it before i could get the stock jumper off. I was so excited to try out full NOS mode as well as other oversampling rates and all these problems surface. i sorta regret opening my M11 case...

@munce31  I do not experience any clicks or dropouts with my unit. That said it is pretty cool (temperature-wise) where my M11 is, so i probably have no issue with overheating.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #815 of 2,556
They're messing with jumpers because you can change settings with them as described on the website.

I have one on the way and will open it up after listening for a while as well. I wouldn't be too worried about intentional shorts and glue--if you look in almost any electronic device, there's some amount of it.

Assuming it's intentional and serves its purpose functionally, the fact that it's not pretty looking is inconsequential.

That said, if the channel imbalance some people are describing in NOS mode exists and is the fault of the design or workmanship, that's a problem.

I wonder if that's done by Audio-GD, Amanero, or a third party. Is the workmanship superior on the rest of the interior compared to the DSP?

For those getting channel imbalance in NOS, is it present in both the balanced and single-ended outputs?

i tried different jumper settings only with balanced out so far and have been getting channel imbalance. I will try out with single ended as well today and report back.

Nov 1, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #816 of 2,556
Ah, so I need to read more on the website.  I'd prefer these sorts of options be brought out to the front panel user interface rather than provided as a bag of jumpers...  but whatever.  If these options are documented and alternate jumper settings are causing channel imbalances... that indeed is a problem.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #817 of 2,556

I only checked it with balanced out.  I'd be more concerned about all this if the thing didn't sound so good how it shipped. I'm no electrical tech, but it looks pretty clean all around outside of these couple things that were pointed out.  The flash doesn't do it any favors either.  My guess is that the Amanero doesn't play as nicely with the DSP and since the clock jitter is so low from the Amanero, the unit sounded better with NOS.  Kingwa mentions the Amanero in NOS should sound good on his Amanero page.  That said, they should explain what they did on the site.  Also, if the DSP IS bypassed, then why would the IPS0 and IPS1 jumpers make any difference?  Looking forward to Kingwa responding.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #818 of 2,556
The 'Use Manual' for the M11 on Audio-gd's site has been updated. It doesn't mention sampling rates, etc anymore. Just Neutral or warm... Back to playing. Had you guys already seen this or were you working off the old chart that shows 8x oversampling, 4x oversampling, etc.?

http://audio-gd.com/Master/Master-11/M11EN_Use.htm

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #819 of 2,556

I only checked it with balanced out.  I'd be more concerned about all this if the thing didn't sound so good how it shipped. I'm no electrical tech, but it looks pretty clean all around outside of these couple things that were pointed out.  The flash doesn't do it any favors either.  My guess is that the Amanero doesn't play as nicely with the DSP and since the clock jitter is so low from the Amanero, the unit sounded better with NOS.  Kingwa mentions the Amanero in NOS should sound good on his Amanero page.  That said, they should explain what they did on the site.  Also, if the DSP IS bypassed, then why would the IPS0 and IPS1 jumpers make any difference?  Looking forward to Kingwa responding.

I'm thinking that the bypass occurs with the jumper removed?  Seem to recall readingreviews that indicated 8x oversampling as a stock shipping condition?

Audio-gd needs to produce SOMETHING in writing and a bit more clearly as to how all of this works.

What's on the web page under 'use manual' just is NOT sufficient even at these 'bargain' prices:  http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-11/M11EN_Use.htm

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #820 of 2,556
i had that glob of glue on the BYPASS jumper as well as on the DITHER pins and had to removed it before i could get the stock jumper off. I was so excited to try out full NOS mode as well as other oversampling rates and all these problems surface. i sorta regret opening my M11 case...

@munce31
  I do not experience any clicks or dropouts with my unit. That said it is pretty cool (temperature-wise) where my M11 is, so i probably have no issue with overheating.

Mine gets quite hot. It sits under a cork coffee table but with at least 3 inches of space for ventilation.

It's weird, because if I switch devices, the clicks, dropouts cease for about 30mins.

I tested with optical last night and it began clicking,dropping after about an hour.

I didn't turn off the unit during this testing.

I'm still leaning towards heat issues. Perhaps a heatsink on the dsp or a fan could prevent this.

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #821 of 2,556
The 'Use Manual' for the M11 on Audio-gd's site has been updated. It doesn't mention sampling rates, etc anymore. Just Neutral or warm... Back to playing. Had you guys already seen this or were you working off the old chart that shows 8x oversampling, 4x oversampling, etc.?

http://audio-gd.com/Master/Master-11/M11EN_Use.htm

Ah ha!  Thought I was losing my mind.  Yes the 'use manual' has changed and nothing was shipped with my unit so...

Hopefully the 'Wayback Machine' will have it.

If not?

Again, I am ready to send Kong Wa a rather emphatic request for better documentation.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #822 of 2,556

Ah ha!  Thought I was losing my mind.  Yes the 'use manual' has changed and nothing was shipped with my unit so...

Hopefully the 'Wayback Machine' will have it.

If not?

Again, I am ready to send Kong Wa a rather emphatic request for better documentation.

Nice - No channel imbalance with the couple settings I've tried now.  I must say I like the IPS0 jumped with the LCD-Xs - tames the treble a bit.  While I'd like to know what's actually changing, at least we have something that is accurate on the site now.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #823 of 2,556
WAYBACK MACHINE TO THE RESCUE!

https://web.archive.org/web/20140212172043/http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm

Seems the 'bypass' jumper is not listed as one of the six you should change?

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #824 of 2,556

https://web.archive.org/web/20140212172043/http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm

OK, that's the MASTER 7 but there should be little or no difference as the picture is the SAME.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #825 of 2,556

Nice, thanks.  Note that the IPS1 is not used in the new chart where it was in the old.  I'm guessing that was the cause of the imbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back