Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Sep 27, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #511 of 2,556
  Does anyone hear occasional crackles and pops when listening through the Windows default mixer (sampling rate set to 16-bit 44100hz)?

Don't have the problem when listening through ASIO, but default Spotify app doesn't support ASIO so that is a problem. Unless there is a way to get the default Spotify app to run through ASIO? I don't want to use a totally different application like Fidelify. Rather have the actual Spotify app go through ASIO.

you an use jriver to capture any apps such as youtube,spotify,etc and pass it via asio :)

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #512 of 2,556

Is the ANY real downside to the +6 dB mod if I really don't need it at this time 

Gain is a multiplication of signal strength.  6dB is 2x.  As a result noise is increased two fold.  Going the other way if you reduced the gain by 6dB then the noise would be cut in half.  Hence always use the least amount of gain needed for the wanted output.  Personally I very rarely need more than unity/0dB/1x gain for every headphone I've owned.  Though I have not owned the head speaker that is the HE-6.  HE-1000 is not hard to drive at 300mV for 90dB.  The M11 puts out 19,000mV.  Let that sink in.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #513 of 2,556
Hi,

Thanks, but I understand what +6dB represents in gain.   What I don't understand is how 6dB of gain is going to somehow increase the noise floor of the Master 11 by 6dB.    OK, of course it will,but along with everything else including the signal?  

And if one uses very inefficient headphones requiring that extra gain, would that make for a 'noisier' choice?  Or would it be noisier only if moderately efficient headphones were used?

Asked another way, does the signal to noise ration specification of  '>120DB' as quoted for the  Audio-gd Master 11,  'CHANGE' with the increase of 6dB in gain?

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #514 of 2,556
I can't hear any noise at max volume using hd800, and it had been mentioned here before +6db works well with iem, I think the decision to go +6db or not is over analyzed, I don't think one way or another will change much. Good thing is kingwa sells the gain stage separately, so if one didn't work out for you, buy the other one.

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #515 of 2,556
no(audible)  noise with 123 dB/mW IEMs, I have +6 dB. What Khargon said is right, it doesn't matter much. If you listen to classical and plan to get super low efficiency cans later, get the 6db mod. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #516 of 2,556
More the former than latter.  The default 16dB gain is already higher than the M11 can output if given 0dB content.  I.e. modern recorded music.  4x gain will cap out the M11.  The default is 6x.  6dB mod brings it to 12x.  Meaning 800mV input will cause it to clip.  The DAC outputs 2500mV at 0dB output.  

Also worth remembering that gain is not power.  Adding 6dB gain does not change when the M11 clips only how fast you get there and depending on the source strength that you can cap out the power before running out of pot range.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #517 of 2,556
Wait, sorry to chip in, but I'm a bit confused about gain. If it's worth anything I'm planning to get the NFB-1AMP.
If I get the default gain, the max volume will be at, let's assume, 100% of the volume pot. If I get more gain, the max volume will be the same?
What my limited knowledge tells me is that the current will be the same. So what's the advantage of more gain?

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #518 of 2,556
If the input was just right to get maximum power when the volume was at 100% and you increase gain... the maximum power will be reached before you get to 100% volume.  The advantage is if you have a lot of low output sources, classical, and a headphone that really needs all the power that the M11 can deliver.  Hence why it is referred to as the HE-6 mod.  While an IEM typically needs 0.01mW to play at 90dB the HE-6 needs 20mW.  For another data point the HD800 needs all of 0.15mW for the same 90dB.  The M11 puts out 8,000mW... let that sink in :wink:

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #519 of 2,556
I can't hear any noise at max volume using hd800, and it had been mentioned here before +6db works well with iem, I think the decision to go +6db or not is over analyzed, I don't think one way or another will change much. Good thing is kingwa sells the gain stage separately, so if one didn't work out for you, buy the other one.

So you have the +6 dB gain mod and are using the HD800?

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #522 of 2,556
Yes

Correction: with xlr I do hear noise at volume setting of 99, the noise went away at 85. I listen at maximum volume of 50, anything above that is way too loud.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #523 of 2,556
So ever since receiving the Master-11 about 10 days ago I have been listening intently with the HD800 and TH900 (both stock headphones, single-ended connectors, for now!)

All I have to say is when people call the M11 neutral, they are not kidding! In fact, I didn't really know the meaning of neutral till I heard this thing 
tongue_smile.gif
 It just sounds so clear and detailed and impressive. Normally people would hear "neutral" and it would scare any HD800 users away and I can understand why. A lot of people prefer the HD800 with a warmer sounding amp, but fear not because the M11 does a great job at making the HD800 sing. Although I feel as though I haven't heard the full potential of the HD800 on the M11 as I am still running them single-ended! If they are this good single-ended, I can only imagine how they will sound with a good balanced cable. When I first started listening to the M11 with the HD800, I was a bit apprehensive because the HD800 did sound brighter than what I am used to. Previously I was running the HD800 out of the Sony UDA-1 (a DAC/amp combo worth $600 when I bought it). That thing did a really good job of running the HD800 at loud volumes without being fatiguing but it definitely wasn't as clean and detailed as the M11 is. Now after 10 days of listening, I don't know if it is just me getting used to the sound or if the M11 is still burning in but the HD800 is not as harsh anymore and getting more enjoyable everyday. Some really treble-bright tracks can still be a bit much though. I am still hoping the right cable (perhaps a Norne Draug 2) will give me the perfect sound signature I am looking for (both detailed yet not fatiguing on treble bright tracks). In the meantime, I am quite happy with the HD800 running out of the M11 and for tracks that are not so bright, it is a pleasure to listen to.

On to the Fostex TH-900..... WOW. Listening to the TH900 (this was after a couple days of listening to HD800 and being apprehensive about the brightness) out of the M11 is what made me realize how great the M11 is. That was the moment I realized the M11 was a keeper. Once again I was getting that super clean and detailed sound but this time accompanied by the pumping bass response of the TH900's. Listening to EDM, hip-hop and other bass dependent genres is just too much fun on the M11/TH900 combo. The craziest thing was that I no longer feel the recessed mids that many people including myself have experienced with the TH900. The sound of the TH900 all of a sudden is very balanced! I am definitely not used to hearing the TH900 like this and after sitting on my headphone stand for ages while the HD800 got all the head time, the TH900 is finally a joy to use again.

Overall, I think the M11 pairs well with both the HD800 and TH900 and you can't lose with either choice. Anyone who is super sensitive to bright treble, be wary with the HD800. Any fault when it comes to brightness is in no way a fault of the M11, however. The M11 is the most neutral amp & dac I have heard and as cliche as it sounds, it will put out whatever you feed it. It just so happens that the HD800 are a bright headphone and people have always been compensating for that by warming up the source with a warm DAC or amp.

After hearing what the M11 has to offer I don't think mine will be going anywhere anytime soon. If I require any changes in the future, my headphones will change before any changes to my source and amplification. I am now going to live by the mantra that I shouldn't have to run around looking for the perfect amp/dac to make up for a headphones imperfections 
tongue_smile.gif

Can't wait to see what improvements going balanced will bring! I will be getting a balanced cable for the HD800 and for the TH900 will most likely just get them reterminated with a balanced connector.

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #524 of 2,556
Hey, this 7 sec dark thing is pretty neat!

I wouldn't be using the headamp much for a while but I'm loving the DAC and pre-amp more and more..all sounds so life like it makes me smile and enjoy music on a new level...

seriously, it's so much better then my old DAC19DSP, which I liked a lot! Like the way the acoustics on the recording projects in my room, it's stunning
eek.gif

No master 7 for me, this apparatus is perfect for me
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #525 of 2,556
Hey, this 7 sec dark thing is pretty neat!

I wouldn't be using the headamp much for a while but I'm loving the DAC and pre-amp more and more..all sounds so life like it makes me smile and enjoy music on a new level...

seriously, it's so much better then my old DAC19DSP, which I liked a lot! Like the way the acoustics on the recording projects in my room, it's stunning :eek:

No master 7 for me, this apparatus is perfect for me :D

I am also glad I got the 7 sec black out screen. The screen when fully lit up with information is kind of too bright and distracting if you are sitting close by it. Further away it might be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back