Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Sep 22, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #496 of 2,556
I asked Kingwa and he said NOS on M11 should work very well. He also said I could remove the sealed cover without voiding the warrenty. To take the top off, do you just remove the four bolts in the corner? Or is it every bolt on the top? BTW, I am seriously pleased with Master 11 and my Auduze Lcd2-f headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I did try with NOS mode and didnt' find it to be better than the default settings. that's just my opinion. But maybe I should make sure to send higher quality recordings to it. Someone said 88khz or better...maybe will try again... But default settings seem to be ideal. I was going to try to turn off Phase Locked Loop again and see if i hear any improvement.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #497 of 2,556
I asked Kingwa and he said NOS on M11 should work very well. He also said I could remove the sealed cover without voiding the warrenty. To take the top off, do you just remove the four bolts in the corner? Or is it every bolt on the top? BTW, I am seriously pleased with Master 11 and my Auduze Lcd2-f headphones.:)

Also wondering about this.. Is it just the 4 corner bolts to remove the top cover?

And once you are in does anyone want to post a step-by-step on how to activate NOS mode? I've seen the chart on the website but it's still a bit confusing.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #500 of 2,556
I asked Kingwa and he said NOS on M11 should work very well. He also said I could remove the sealed cover without voiding the warrenty. To take the top off, do you just remove the four bolts in the corner? Or is it every bolt on the top? BTW, I am seriously pleased with Master 11 and my Auduze Lcd2-f headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

On the Master 7 it was both the four bolts in the corners and the four screws in the middle. I would think it’s the same on the M11 from the pictures I seen.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #501 of 2,556
Got HE-6 today. M11 with default gain works for me. I don't have any intention of buying extra gain. My listening levels are between 40-70 depending on how loud the record is. Maybe up to 80 on the quietest files I have but that starts to be bit too loud. 40-50 for most of my files.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #502 of 2,556
  Got HE-6 today. M11 with default gain works for me. I don't have any intention of buying extra gain. My listening levels are between 40-70 depending on how loud the record is. Maybe up to 80 on the quietest files I have but that starts to be bit too loud. 40-50 for most of my files.

Great, congrats! Yeah the gain mod isn't necessary, my highest level is 55-60 with 6db mod. Mostly I am hovering around 45.

Did you try the HE - 6 with any other amp? Post your general opinions about the pairing.  

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #503 of 2,556
  Great, congrats! Yeah the gain mod isn't necessary, my highest level is 55-60 with 6db mod. Mostly I am hovering around 45.

Did you try the HE - 6 with any other amp? Post your general opinions about the pairing.  

Haven't heard the HE-6 out of any other amp yet. I still have the Gustard H10 but I have too much school work to do. Can't bother with testing anytime soon.

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #504 of 2,556
  I did try with NOS mode and didnt' find it to be better than the default settings. that's just my opinion. But maybe I should make sure to send higher quality recordings to it. Someone said 88khz or better...maybe will try again... But default settings seem to be ideal. I was going to try to turn off Phase Locked Loop again and see if i hear any improvement.

Hmm... maybe I should try this too.  Look like NOS mode requires shorting two set of pins... got to find those jumpers or steal some from my computers.
Would you say that NOS mode gives a softer treble roll off? good for HD800?

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #505 of 2,556
  Hmm... maybe I should try this too.  Look like NOS mode requires shorting two set of pins... got to find those jumpers or steal some from my computers.
Would you say that NOS mode gives a softer treble roll off? good for HD800?

My aural memory of NOS mode was not good, although it was smooth, it was just too thin sounding in many ways from what I remember.
I will try to feed it high res files and see if that matters. I likely was only sending 16bit 44.1 or 48 as a lot of my collection are flac. yet I have a good selection of 24bit 96k and 192k.  Out of the 1.2tb of music i'm sure I have a few choices to try.

I just recall the default settings that the M11 was shipped with sounded best. I just want to be sure again and try to turn of PLL to double check.

I won't be able to do any listening for another couple weeks...still moving. I'm having music withdrawal. All I have is my fidue a83's and iphone. :D

boo, still waiting for the centrance hifiskyn and the lh labs geekwave xdf256.... seems like ages since I purchased those darn things on indiegogo... 

apparently hifiskyn should be approved by apple....TODAY...then production will start. only 6months off schedule....
and don't get me started with LHLabs....the last product I ever buy from them, I'm hoping the geekwave xdf256 will be all what it's cracked up to be.... we shall see.

nothing will compare to my master11 though :D I've never heard anything so euphonic and musical as the m11. I can't wait to setup my new gear and mods to try them out. :D

@Khragon- if you try NOS or Phase Locked loop off - let me know your impressions... I can't fully remember how to describe it as its been a couple months. 

And jumpers come with the m11 in the tiny bag of goodies it shipped with... there should be at least a half doze or more jumpers with it! You shouldn't have to steal them off your pc's motherboard. :D

-T

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #506 of 2,556

You listen to rock, correct? metal etc? likely why you're at lower volumes... classical pushes me up in the 75 and even 80 levels sometimes with the +6db level. It was around 87-90 before I modded with the +6db - but lower volumes didn't seem to be much different due to the volume curve being so gradual up til the last 20% of the range.

I listen around 90db usually and requires a bit of power with my HE560's....odd as it doesn't seem the HE6 is much different.   Other HE560s i've heard seem more efficient than mine...I actually almost returned mine thinking that they were defective for some reason...but they simple suck power like a vampire for amps. I tried them on a pulse XFI which could not drive them as well as i'd like... high gain and max volume to achieve good results. thats rediculous imho. Yet other pairs do better.  My Master11 has no issue pushing them to ear bleeding levels...

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #507 of 2,556

You listen to rock, correct? metal etc? likely why you're at lower volumes... classical pushes me up in the 75 and even 80 levels sometimes with the +6db level. It was around 87-90 before I modded with the +6db - but lower volumes didn't seem to be much different due to the volume curve being so gradual up til the last 20% of the range.

That is correct. I listen to almost all genres except classical, that's likely the reason I am okay. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #508 of 2,556
Also wondering about this.. Is it just the 4 corner bolts to remove the top cover?

And once you are in does anyone want to post a step-by-step on how to activate NOS mode? I've seen the chart on the website but it's still a bit confusing.

ALL the top screws have to come out to remove the cover.... also use a plastic hook tool to help lift the lid up as it's tightly recessed in the top around its edges... I use plastic so it won't scratch the metal anodized finish. If its your first time opening it...pull it up so the front opens first and open carefully to slowly remove the holographic sticker or have a second pair of hands hold it up if you care about the sticker getting damaged...personally i don't care since kingwa says it's not going to void the warranty. I just peeled it back by opening the lid, instead of picking at it with a finger nail. much cleaner....

the instructions for the jumpers came with the m11 in the shipping box...a printout sheet, photos, and even jumpers... ready that for explanation. it's fairly simple to understand if you speak good engrish. Otherwise it's impossibru to do!  Ok, j/k...it's really easy 

take a photo of the jumpers in their default positions before making any changes....so you know how to put it back to those settings after you fiddle with the rest and find it's a waste of your time...<cough> anyhow...what do I know, maybe you'll love it.... Personally everything else I tried sounded somewhat similar but less desireable, or awful and thin. Default settings I remember I preferred.

I'm going to try once again while feeding it only very high resolution recordings... I would have thought flac 16bit 44.1 would of been enough.... but sounded awful imho compared to 8x OS and PLL ON for default.

I will try PLL OFF again and see if I missed trying just that setting. both the amanero combo 384 and my heavily modded gustard u12 with crystek 957's, upgraded caps and ic for audio-gd i2s pinout should be a perfectly ultra low jitter source. Fed by an OCXO PPA V3 PCIE usb card.

-T

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #509 of 2,556
Does anyone hear occasional crackles and pops when listening through the Windows default mixer (sampling rate set to 16-bit 44100hz)?

Don't have the problem when listening through ASIO, but default Spotify app doesn't support ASIO so that is a problem. Unless there is a way to get the default Spotify app to run through ASIO? I don't want to use a totally different application like Fidelify. Rather have the actual Spotify app go through ASIO.

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #510 of 2,556
OK, one last question before I send Grace my PayPal $$$$ for the Master 11...

Is the ANY real downside to the +6 dB mod if I really don't need it at this time (HD-600, HD800 maybe) but would like the option of upgrading to HE-6 or HE-1000 if I hit the lottery?

It seem odd to me that, with all of King Wa's attention to power supply, etc, that one would introduce NOISE into a system with just 6dB of gain, but WDIK?

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back