Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Mar 8, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #2,401 of 2,556

Thanks dcivera,
I will do exactly the same as you suggested. I ordered an USB blade from eBay several days ago and emailed Kingwa for the firmware update. Once I get the blade, I will contract them to arrange an online update. (They will charge $30 for the update now.
frown.gif
). Hope I could find the satisfied setting without a NOS installation. Will open the device this weekend.

I'd like to remind you that AGD will charge you again when you update firmware from DSP V7 (M11) to V2 (Nos11).

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,402 of 2,556
I'd like to remind you that AGD will charge you again when you update firmware from DSP V7 (M11) to V2 (Nos11).

Thanks to let me know.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #2,403 of 2,556

Thanks dcivera,
I will do exactly the same as you suggested. I ordered an USB blade from eBay several days ago and emailed Kingwa for the firmware update. Once I get the blade, I will contract them to arrange an online update. (They will charge $30 for the update now.
frown.gif
). Hope I could find the satisfied setting without a NOS installation. Will open the device this weekend.

Hi Mudhole,

I have a Reference 10.32 (previous model of the M11 but really similar) that I upgraded with the new Amanero 384 USB board and the new firmware DSPv7.

I tried different settings and I much prefer the NOS with -50 db filter mode to all others. Much more musical, natural, full bodied and smoother. I simply can't listen to 8X oversampling. It's thin, anemic and artificial in comparison of NOS. So change your settings ASAP. The difference is not subtle at all. 

In fact, I like it so much that I am considering to upgrade the firmware for NOS exclusively.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #2,404 of 2,556
Hello fella. Im new in this forum. :)

Been using Sound Blaster ZxR for my HD800.

Now im looking for my end game with HD800

Im interested with Master 11, but there are 3 kind of it. What is the different of these 3? Master 11,  Master 11 (Singularity) and NOS 11?

Which one is better?

Thank you very much.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #2,405 of 2,556

Hi Mudhole,

I have a Reference 10.32 (previous model of the M11 but really similar) that I upgraded with the new Amanero 384 USB board and the new firmware DSPv7.

I tried different settings and I much prefer the NOS with -50 db filter mode to all others. Much more musical, natural, full bodied and smoother. I simply can't listen to 8X oversampling. It's thin, anemic and artificial in comparison of NOS. So change your settings ASAP. The difference is not subtle at all. 

In fact, I like it so much that I am considering to upgrade the firmware for NOS exclusively.

Same experience with my Ref 5.32, I was using it with NOS setting and -90 stop band, big difference with 8X oversampling, really big. Later I upgraded to Amanero USB and add TXCO clock to the DSP and installed the new firmware to make it a NOS 5. Again, some nice improvements, same sound signature but everything more open and micro detailed. With V2 updated version of the NOS firmware, some more improvements on the same areas, tone and coherence overall. Every tweak/upgrade/update was always a step forward on sound improvement, and not a small one. I'm really, really happy with my NOS 5 Dac, I would be surprised if anything at the price range could even get close. If only I could upgrade to singularity DSP improvements and install an i2s HDMI port, if only...

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #2,407 of 2,556
Same experience with my Ref 5.32, I was using it with NOS setting and -90 stop band, big difference with 8X oversampling, really big. Later I upgraded to Amanero USB and add TXCO clock to the DSP and installed the new firmware to make it a NOS 5. Again, some nice improvements, same sound signature but everything more open and micro detailed. With V2 updated version of the NOS firmware, some more improvements on the same areas, tone and coherence overall. Every tweak/upgrade/update was always a step forward on sound improvement, and not a small one. I'm really, really happy with my NOS 5 Dac, I would be surprised if anything at the price range could even get close. If only I could upgrade to singularity DSP improvements and install an i2s HDMI port, if only...

Thanks.

How difficult it is to put another clock on the DSP?

Don't we need a filter too?

Where did yoy bought the clock?

Regards.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #2,408 of 2,556
Thanks.

How difficult it is to put another clock on the DSP?

Don't we need a filter too?

Where did yoy bought the clock?

Regards.

You can order the clock directly to Kingwa, it's pretty inexpensive. Modifications vary depending on the dac models -or at least that's what I believe-, but again, Kingwa can provide you with instructions (in my case was as simple as soldering 3 pins of the clock). You´ll also need an USB blaster (20usd) in order to install the new firmware, I believe Audio-gd was doing this upgrade remotely until the end of 2016, now I guess you can order the firmware to be sent (30usd cost I guess) and DIY. Pretty easy, I did it myself plenty of times.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #2,409 of 2,556

Hi Mudhole,

Thanks  Lappy,

I tried some different settings tonight. The NOS and -50db is much better for my ears. I will continue to try more settings on the weekend. I am also considering to get the NOS11 module from Kingwa.  
But I am still confused by the DSP bypass jumper. Now the jumper is off, so that means the DSP bypass is enabled and  the DSP doesn't work. Am I right?  But if the DSP is bypassed, why the others setting like IPS ATT still can change the sound?
From the AGD website, the DITH and PLL setting are opposite  between the products before and after 12th Oct, 2016. For my older M11, the both default settings should be jumper off (function enabled). I wrote an email to Kingwa, hope I can get confirmed  soon. My source is foobar2000 ASIO thru Gigabyte Z97 sniper motherboard DAC-UP USB (USB power off) to M11 Amanero USB input, so I think I should enable the PLL. If I get a singxer SU-1 and upgrade the RJ45 to HDMI, then I can disable the PLL, right?

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,410 of 2,556
Last night I wrote an email to Kingwa to ask some questions about the setting. He replied within 20mins. The most funny result he told me is that the  DSP bypass jumper has on function on my M11.
confused.gif
 This morning, I used a meter to measure the impedance between the two pins, it was close to Zero. That mean the jumper already  had been shorten by factory.
Before I was wondering what is the DSP bypass function for?

The other question about the PLLEN and DITH Kingwa didn't give me a clear answer, he just said the setting should depend on user's listening taste.  But on their website the settings are  much different between the newer model and old model. If I upgrade the firmware to V7, which setting chart I should follow?
The product shipped before 12th. Oct. 2016
Jumpers NumberSettingFunctions describing
Jumper1  PLLEN
Active (OFF)
Bypass (ON)
PLL setting
Jumper6 DITH
Active (OFF)
Inactive(ON)
Data Dithering
     Sound Flavor :          Neutral < ------------------------------------------------>Warm
ATT0 (OFF)ATT0 (OFF)ATT0 (ON)ATT0 (OFF)ATT0 (OFF)ATT0 (ON)
ATT1 (OFF)ATT1 (ON)ATT1 (ON)ATT1 (OFF)ATT1 (ON)ATT1 (ON)
IPS0 (OFF)IPS0 (OFF)IPS0 (OFF)IPS0 (ON)IPS0 (ON)IPS0 (ON)

The product shipped since 12th. Oct. 2016
Jumpers Number
Setting
Functions describing
PLLEN
Bypass (OFF)
Active (ON)
PLL setting
DITH
Inactive (OFF)
Active (ON)
Data Dithering
   8X Oversampling
4X Oversampling
2X Oversampling
NOS
The sound will become smoother and warmer while setting lower oversampling.
IPS0
 (OFF)
 (ON)
 (OFF)
 (ON)
IPS1
 (OFF)
 (OFF)
 (ON)
 (ON)
ATT0

Reserved
ATT1

er question about the PLLEN and DITH Kingwa didn't give me a clear answer, he just the setting should depend on user's listening taste.  

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #2,411 of 2,556
 Now the jumper is off, so that means the DSP bypass is enabled and  the DSP doesn't work. Am I right?  But if the DSP is bypassed, why the others setting like IPS ATT still can change the sound?

If the jumper is off it means DSP bypass is disabled

I used a meter to measure the impedance between the two pins, it was close to Zero. That mean the jumper already  had been shorten by factory.

It's a wrong method to check if a jumper is linked you're supposed to do a continuity check if it beeps it's linked (on) if it doesn't beep it's not linked (off)

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,412 of 2,556
  If the jumper is off it means DSP bypass is disabled

It's a wrong method to check if a jumper is linked you're supposed to do a continuity check if it beeps it's linked (on) if it doesn't beep it's not linked (off)

That was what Kingwa told me. And I also swapped the bypass jumper on and off with different setting, I couldn't notice any sound change. But all the other settings were working no matter the bypass jumper was on or off.(the NOS channel imbalance was still there.
frown.gif
)  I used the meter to measure the jumpers impedance, only bypass jumper is Zero, all the other jumpers are at 2.74k.

I already ordered the NOS kits and HDMI kits from KIngwa, It will be a NOS 11  anyway.

This kind of critical listening is really a tough job for me, not enjoyable at all. Now I left the setting at 2X with -130 db and screwed  the top panel. I find the lower OS settings are more relax and musical but less micro details,  less focus  on image and  less energy. But when I really start enjoy the music and focus on music itself, I won't care about all these micro deference.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #2,413 of 2,556
That was what Kingwa told me. And I also swapped the bypass jumper on and off with different setting, I couldn't notice any sound change. But all the other settings were working no matter the bypass jumper was on or off.(the NOS channel imbalance was still there.:frowning2: )  I used the meter to measure the jumpers impedance, only bypass jumper is Zero, all the other jumpers are at 2.74k.

I already ordered the NOS kits and HDMI kits from KIngwa, It will be a NOS 11  anyway.

This kind of critical listening is really a tough job for me, not enjoyable at all. Now I left the setting at 2X with -130 db and screwed  the top panel. I find the lower OS settings are more relax and musical but less micro details,  less fouls on image and  less energy. But when I really start enjoy the music and focus on music itself, I won't care about all these micro deference.

I never pull of the bypass jumper in all my experimentation with different oversampling settings. With the new DSPv7, the channel imbalance is gone. The sound from NOS at -50db is the best in my system but I have neutral and revealing speakers (Paradigm Active-40) and headphones (Focal Utopia). So they are perfect match with the warmest setting of my AGD Ref 10.32 Amanero. My previous Audeze LCD-2.2 were too warm with the NOS setting.

I am considering buying a used M11 or NOS 11 with HDMI I2S input. But if I can make my Ref a NOS Ref, I will give it a shot.

If you didn't had the chance to read that article, do so. Interesting read. http://www.modelpromo.nl/Audio-GD_Master7-Amanero_NOS.htm

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #2,414 of 2,556
Hi Mudhole,

My M11 unit has shorted bypass pins from factory as well. I wrote about this fact a while ago but I don't think anyone else commented about this so I figured it may be just a small defect in my unit. But I didn't really care since i could still configure it into any oversampling mode I want. 
BTW, i did a continuity test and the beep was there.

One more thing, the reason I tested those pins was also because I could hear the difference between the oversampling modes in both bypass ON and OFF position. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #2,415 of 2,556
  Hi Mudhole,

My M11 unit has shorted bypass pins from factory as well. I wrote about this fact a while ago but I don't think anyone else commented about this so I figured it may be just a small defect in my unit. But I didn't really care since i could still configure it into any oversampling mode I want. 
BTW, i did a continuity test and the beep was there.

One more thing, the reason I tested those pins was also because I could hear the difference between the oversampling modes in both bypass ON and OFF position. 

I think that is not a defect. I wrote an email to ask about the bypass setting. Kingwa just simply replied there is no function of the bypass jumper on my machine. I wrote in Chinese, he replied in Chinese. So I don't think there was a misunderstanding between us. And there also has no any explanation about this jumper on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back