Audio-gd HE-9 MK2
Nov 1, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #121 of 168
OOh I mixed it up with MTC(MIDI) 🤣 ...Now I am really lost, because I still believe DDC should be implemented right next to the DAC. Im no engineer ofcource, but why have one if its not good enough(in the dac). The only reason I chose spdif2, instead of my motherboard output, is just my assumption(its better), I have not tried the optical output on the motherboard very much, well it sounded ok with RME DAC FS(test only for couple of hours)

But I also understand what you say. But what does it sync? (---chain---host/pc usb --- DDC--BNC--DAC------)
_______________________________________________________________________________________
My brain is having an dialog:
DDC: "hey you two! please follow each other, I am keeping an eye You!"
DAC "FFF off I actually don´t need you(middleman), I can get my digital goods directly from the host/pc directly, why would I pay more for the same thing?"
________________________________________________________________________________________

About furniture, Audio-gd goes really deep though, I mean with the furutech flux50 I need a good meter🤣

I will be looking for furniture because Im saving money for the DAC(ASAP) If you find anything interesting feel free to DM, thanks in advance.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #122 of 168
Sorry, I didn't understand what you're asking.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #123 of 168
Im saying I might not buy DI20HE before I can test it for A/B.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #124 of 168
Im saying I might not buy DI20HE before I can test it for A/B.
It's not just about A/B. It's about connectivity. There is probably not a better DDC for Audio-gd gear if you want to run IIS into your DAC. It also has AES/EBU and coax (BNC and RCA) output, all simultaneously. So you can drive multiple devices off a single USB input.

And there is also coax in. So you can multiplex 2 devices- USB from a PC and coax from a CD player, streamer, etc. I use my coax input for a Bluesound box.

If you want to run straight USB off your PC that will work well enough if there isn't electrical noise.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #125 of 168
Well Im still in doubt why I need DI20HE if I get the R8HEMK2 they have both the same clock crystals?
I was switching back and forth between 2 equal sources:
1 - direct usb to R8HE Mk2 (EC Morion)
2 - usb to DI20HE and then I2s to R8HE Mk2 (EC Morion)
Then the signal goes to HE9 Mk2 (ACSS) and finally to Focal Stellia (the highest level of detail and resolution I have)

I can clearly hear the difference.. without DI20HE the sound is less refined and there is this minor but clearly audible ringing in the upper mids region.. In contrast, with DI20HE the mids are as juicy but more natural.. I hear more nuances as well..

So for me it is clear: my DI20HE is not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.. )

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #126 of 168
It's not just about A/B. It's about connectivity. There is probably not a better DDC for Audio-gd gear if you want to run IIS into your DAC. It also has AES/EBU and coax (BNC and RCA) output, all simultaneously. So you can drive multiple devices off a single USB input.

And there is also coax in. So you can multiplex 2 devices- USB from a PC and coax from a CD player, streamer, etc. I use my coax input for a Bluesound box.

If you want to run straight USB off your PC that will work well enough if there isn't electrical noise.
Ok, I see now, I actually could be interested in a CD player and streamer. Good points. I am veery curious about the I2s connection quality.

I was switching back and forth between 2 equal sources:
1 - direct usb to R8HE Mk2 (EC Morion)
2 - usb to DI20HE and then I2s to R8HE Mk2 (EC Morion)
Then the signal goes to HE9 Mk2 (ACSS) and finally to Focal Stellia (the highest level of detail and resolution I have)

I can clearly hear the difference.. without DI20HE the sound is less refined and there is this minor but clearly audible ringing in the upper mids region.. In contrast, with DI20HE the mids are as juicy but more natural.. I hear more nuances as well..

So for me it is clear: my DI20HE is not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.. )
Wow yeah I forgot about the ACSS. I think I have something to look forward to. Can you tell me about this ringing? could it be the "distortion" profile, does it happen on all settings(R8HE)

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #127 of 168
I'm not going to suggest anything about the electronics but I can strongly recommend something about the rack:
- please do not get something on wheels, it defeats the original purpose of having something stable and helping with vibrations...it also doesn't look good, but that's just my humble opinion
- I love Custom Design racks (the Milan Reference line for example) and the Hifi racks too, in wood, they are incredibly sturdy and lovely to look at

End of the off topic :zipper_mouth:

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #128 of 168
I'm not going to suggest anything about the electronics but I can strongly recommend something about the rack:
- please do not get something on wheels, it defeats the original purpose of having something stable and helping with vibrations...it also doesn't look good, but that's just my humble opinion
- I love Custom Design racks (the Milan Reference line for example) and the Hifi racks too, in wood, they are incredibly sturdy and lovely to look at

I'm not sure that is necessarily so. You could find big rubber coasters and put them under the wheels, or come up with something else.

Anyway, for those of us without enough room, sometimes we have to compromise.

Nov 1, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #129 of 168

The Milan reference looks nice, but it is not deep enough. I think you may be right, but I don´t worry too much about vibrations I have the whole system on wheels right now with extra rack:
1667312236129.png

I have some time to look and will probably buy audio-gd dac next year Q1.

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #130 of 168

Just make sure the wheels are made of rubber, then you don't have to bother with vibrations anymore, I'd say. ( may be important for speaker systems :wink:, doesn't make sense for headphones only, imo )

Additionally, if your devices doesn't have, you can use rubber domes/ isolation pads.

Nov 2, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #131 of 168
I think Im gonna hold back on the DI20HE so far until I have figured out where I want to "place" my future network streamer. I was thinking of an DDC/streamer with(DLNA, LAN) that had everything else ext clock, I2s etc. Auralic Altair G1 is very interesting, but lacks the ext/clock and i2s part if I am right. I have heard so much good about the I2s connection that it will be my main priority for R8HE as input source

Nov 2, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #132 of 168
I don't really understand this. If IIS is a priority, then DI-20HE is a necessity or some other DDC but nothing is recommend more than a DI-20HE for audio-gd DACs.

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #133 of 168
Random question: is it ok just turn the he9le on overnight to speed up the burnin

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #135 of 168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back