Audio-gd HE-9 MK2
Sep 20, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #91 of 168
Yeah, 1-9 is the lowest to the highest gain. The "dot" give an extra 10 db.

These are not gain mode per say, it is all implemented with different attenuation curves.
Ok. these curves are not available somewhere?

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #92 of 168
Ok. these curves are not available somewhere?
Everything should be in the product page although maybe not where you would expect it.

And I don't think there are 9 levels of gain, that doesn't make any sense. I think it says on the front page that amp has 2 levels. If you bought your amp from Magna, send them a note with your questions... great guys, they will help.

If not, try to phrase them very simply and clearly and ask Kingwa.

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #93 of 168
Everything should be in the product page although maybe not where you would expect it.

And I don't think there are 9 levels of gain, that doesn't make any sense. I think it says on the front page that amp has 2 levels. If you bought your amp from Magna, send them a note with your questions... great guys, they will help.

If not, try to phrase them very simply and clearly and ask Kingwa.
It is just 9 different volumes curves. Plus an optional +10dB. So all in all there are 18 possible settings!
A few dB of offset between each. The dot gives an extra 10dB. It allows customizing volume for any headphones.

I use "9 dot", it's fine for my speakers and hp sets, also taking into consideration a tuner, which output at a lower level than the dac. If i used extra-sensitive hps, i would lower the gain...

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #94 of 168
It is just 9 different volumes curves. Plus an optional +10dB. So all in all there are 18 possible settings!
A few dB of offset between each. The dot gives an extra 10dB. It allows customizing volume for any headphones.

I use "9 dot", it's fine for my speakers and hp sets, also taking into consideration a tuner, which output at a lower level than the dac. If i used extra-sensitive hps, i would lower the gain...
How did you even find that out? I don't see anything on the English product page.

Oops, there it is, but not in the Usage Section:

"Four-channel 9 steps digital controller relay-based pre-volume control can control the source input level from 0DB to -9DB."

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #96 of 168
So yes, it's one dB per step.
Fred, I am certain you are an Audio-gd insider. I don't know how you figure all this stuff out! :)

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #97 of 168
Ok Im gonna try the different setting.

When changing headphones I should not do something other than turning down the volume?

After couple of switches with Arya and Susvara, the volume felt alot weaker. Twice as much.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #98 of 168
Ok Im gonna try the different setting.

When changing headphones I should not do something other than turning down the volume?

After couple of switches with Arya and Susvara, the volume felt alot weaker. Twice as much.
No. After a while, you will know which gain suit your needs best.

If you read the description closely, Kingwa mentions all this is implemented by attenuating the signal with relays and resistors, so all settinga sound the same. That's neat. So there no change in the actual gain of the amp per say.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #99 of 168
No. After a while, you will know which gain suit your needs best.

If you read the description closely, Kingwa mentions all this is implemented by attenuating the signal with relays and resistors, so all settinga sound the same. That's neat. So there no change in the actual gain of the amp per say.
Normally I am at 60/100 1. High gain. with Susvara. Arya 45/100 1. High gain.

With Susvara I ended up at 85/100(tolerance) suddenly for the same level. Also higher with Arya.

I just tested again. I use to be around 45/100 with Susvara comfortable listening. Now I am at 67/100. Is this normal in the start. And 82/100 is suddenly my tolerance.

This happened after chaning headphones from Arya to Susvara during the day.

But looking at the Volume curve it should be normal because 77/100 volume level is only 20% of the power right?

(I am suspecting the DAC/TT2, I will test again evening)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #100 of 168

With Susvara I ended up at 85/100(tolerance) suddenly for the same level. Also higher with Arya.

I just tested again. I use to be around 45/100 with Susvara comfortable listening. Now I am at 67/100. Is this normal in the start. And 82/100 is suddenly my tolerance.

But looking at the Volume curve it should be normal because 77/100 volume level is only 20% of the power right?

For one, Audio-gd gear can tolerate a lot of drive without clipping, and his sources run high output levels. Check the specs on the your inputs to make sure they're set to line out mode. And make sure the sources are not driving anything else at the same time. For example, when I have my R8 Mk2 driving my Master 19 headamp, if my integrated amp is also on, the power that gets to the Master 19 is about half! I have to mute it or have it turned off.

Also could be your ears are getting used to loud music during your tests. I would say that you cannot do that kind of experiment for anything but short periods. Try it spaced out during the day and make sure it is with the same songs. You have to control all the variables or you don't know what's causing what.

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #101 of 168
For one, Audio-gd gear can tolerate a lot of drive without clipping, and his sources run high output levels. Check the specs on the your inputs to make sure they're set to line out mode. And make sure the sources are not driving anything else at the same time. For example, when I have my R8 Mk2 driving my Master 19 headamp, if my integrated amp is also on, the power that gets to the Master 19 is about half! I have to mute it or have it turned off.

Also could be your ears are getting used to loud music during your tests. I would say that you cannot do that kind of experiment for anything but short periods. Try it spaced out during the day and make sure it is with the same songs. You have to control all the variables or you don't know what's causing what.
Thanks you are right about that part, I find myself turning the volume up as I get more beer:beerchug:

Ok my source: Chord TT2/XLR -> HE9LE. its in DAC mode.

On HE9LE:
I have selected input 1 (TT2XLR) H1 on the display

....wait a minute, I am brainfarting maybe. I look at the old picture of the display and it is actually set like this: (H19.57). This means I was using 9. gain and volume 57. Hmm I must have switched gains without knowing. I will confirm evening.

Sep 21, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #102 of 168

Dont forget the dot. Gives you 10 more dB. Also, the he9 gets louder with burn-in.

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #103 of 168
Dont forget the dot. Gives you 10 more dB. Also, the he9 gets louder with burn-in.
Ok I think I forgot that it was in 9. high gang.

I am trying without high gain now. Without the dot. at level 1 I am at 80/100, its low volume on Susvara.

If I put it on high gain 9 Im at 40-70/100.

Is this ok I mean 15W/25ohm. I expect this amp to be alot more powerful than my diablo

Sep 21, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #104 of 168
Ok I think I forgot that it was in 9. high gang.

I am trying without high gain now. Without the dot. at level 1 I am at 80/100, its low volume on Susvara.

If I put it on high gain 9 Im at 40-70/100.

Is this ok I mean 15W/25ohm. I expect this amp to be alot more powerful than my diablo

You should run at high gain, like Fred mentioned earlier, there is no reason not to do so when your cans need it, unlike other amps where the quality could vary between gain settings.

Also, remember, loudness is non-linear which is why it's measured in decibels. As you get louder, it starts to take huge power differences for an audible increase in volume.

Sep 21, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #105 of 168
You should run at high gain, like Fred mentioned earlier, there is no reason not to do so when your cans need it, unlike other amps where the quality could vary between gain settings.

Also, remember, loudness is non-linear which is why it's measured in decibels. As you get louder, it starts to take huge power differences for an audible increase in volume.
High gain 4. and volume is 58/100. Amazing sound this amp has. Plays effortless so clean so fresh, but still the sweetness from the analog components!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back