Audio-gd HE-9 MK2
Nov 5, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #136 of 168
Thanks I only do it overnight as the electricity is cheaper. LOL!

Don't forget, you need to play music through it. So don't leave it on, just listen to it! :)

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #137 of 168
Hello fellow audiophiles!
This is my first post on the forum!
I've recently purchased the Audio-gd R2R-11 mk2 (Full upgrade version) based on positive reviews on this forum, and I like it a lot!
I need to upgrade the preamp on my main system, and I am very tempted by the Audio-gd HE-1 LE preamp.

I had the chance to borrow a PS Audio BHK preamp for an extended audition at home, and it sounds very good indeed but is somewhat out of my price range.
Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the Audio-gd HE-1 LE (or the HE-9 LE) against the like of PS Audio BHK, Holo Audio Serene or Denafrips Athena ?
Thanks for your help!

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #138 of 168
A good middle ground might be the Master 19. It's smaller and cheaper than the HE-9LE.

I think you will find that most or all of the guys posting in the Audio-gd threads stopped looking at other brands :)

What are your heaphones?

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #139 of 168
Thanks Gimmeheadroom!
I am using Sennheiser 660s with my Audio-gd R2R-11 mk2.

I don't really need another HP amplifier, just a preamp to feed my PS Audio M1200 monoblocks.
I contacted Kingwa, and he said that the HE-9 LE and HE-1 LE are very close in terms of preamp sound quality, the HE-1 being slightly better.

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #140 of 168
Thanks Gimmeheadroom!

I don't really need another HP amplifier, just a preamp to feed my PS Audio M1200 monoblocks.
I contacted Kingwa, and he said that the HE-9 LE and HE-1 LE are very close in terms of preamp sound quality, the HE-1 being slightly better.
Go read the review on the HE1(link on audio-gd). This is a great pre. The he9 mkii is also a great pre, but the he1 le should beat it as such. What is your dac?

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #141 of 168
Thanks Gimmeheadroom!

660S are easy to drive. I am sure anything Kingwa has will work perfectly. I would go with @FredA 's recommendation.

Jan 4, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #142 of 168
Go read the review on the HE1(link on audio-gd). This is a great pre. The he9 mkii is also a great pre, but the he1 le should beat it as such. What is your dac?
Thanks Fred ! Yes, I've read that review, and the HE-1 LE is even better!
I am using a Gustard X18 dac.
Kingwa also said that since I am using a PS Audio P3 regenerator, I didn't really need the regenerative version (mk2).

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #145 of 168
Yes, that 's the next component to improve after the preamp. The Audio-gd R-8 MK2 is very tempting! :relaxed:
It's killer. But since you just got the R2R-11 Mk2 just enjoy that for a while :)

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #148 of 168
WHy cant the new output buffers used in the preamp outs be placed in the headphone outs as well to improve headphone sound?
Output transistors for a pre are smaller (less current capacity) but can reproduce the low amplitude signal better. Transistors for a headphone out are larger, can output more current but are less able with small amplitude signal. Different components for different applications, each optimal for its job. Using hp amp transistors for signal level out is not optimal. That said, the old he9 is no slouch as a pre.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back