Audio-gd discrete op-amps reviewed: OPA-Earth, OPA-Moon, OPA-Sun v.2
Sep 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #316 of 396
I just dont get one thing, pardon me if its a noob question, the AD797BRZ and the others are so small in comparison to the Audio GD's Earth, Moon and Sun. Why so, and how does such a small device compete with the bigger one's..

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #317 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just dont get one thing, pardon me if its a noob question, the AD797BRZ and the others are so small in comparison to the Audio GD's Earth, Moon and Sun. Why so, and how does such a small device compete with the bigger one's..

anyone?

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #318 of 396
There's some kinds of technical limitations with IC opamps but that doesn't necessarily mean they are inferior to discrete opamps. And you only have a handful of discrete opamps to choose from, whereas with opamps you have many many to try and find a sound signature you like. Since there's a wide variety of applications, and variety of preferences, I think they both can be better than the other in the right scenario.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #319 of 396
hmm..
im ordering the AD797BRZ for my compass then.. wanna try those out..
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #321 of 396
oh ok.. wats that exactly supposed to mean?
Ill need two of the AD797's or just one and the adapter?
I dont think Analog Devices will send free samples to India. :p

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #322 of 396
You'll need two AD797BRZ with that two single channel SOIC-8 to single dual channel DIP-8 adapter.

As for samples, I think they likely will give it to you with free shipping to boot, just make a gmail account and ask for samples. But they only have samples of cheaper opamps, I recommend looking for some dual channel audio opamps that can work at 16 volt because that's what the compass works at.

Actually if you've never played with opamps before, I recommend you don't even try IC opamps in the compass because I think there's a good chance you'll much prefer the hdam's anyway. I recently blew up a soundcard because I'm stupid with opamps and you don't want to do the same with the compass.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #328 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by cha_indian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After burn in of HDAMs and after getting the sound improvemnet, can they go back to their original state if not used for long time ???

Also, is the phase different in the Southern Hemisphere?

icon10.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #329 of 396
so opams can actually un-burn themselves, that sounds scary!

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel
The LT1028ACN8 make it happen, the AD797BRZ [..] do it in a lesser degree

I just compared them (again
biggrin.gif
), and I'll pick 797B as PCM1793 LPF: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/fir...ml#post6475571

thanks for the tip BTW, this chip is just
radiohead2113.gif

I don't think I'll bother trying LT1357.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #330 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, is the phase different in the Southern Hemisphere?

icon10.gif

I'd be more interested in which direction that audio-gd crap would swirl upon being flushed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back