Audio-gd discrete op-amps reviewed: OPA-Earth, OPA-Moon, OPA-Sun v.2
Jul 4, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #272 of 396
Love the LT1355 though. It's an all-round good sounding opamp (something not easy to find). I love its tonality too.

The way it plays Jason Lytle, "Yours truly, the commuter", is irresistible.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #275 of 396
Still finding the LT1355 to be transparent and unobtrusive - very important for me. I remember the OPA211 (in the other DAC, at +/- 15V) sounding a bit "peculiar", with a certain (often interesting BTW) coloration in the midbass, for instance.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #276 of 396
Hey majkel,

I've just put two OPA228P inside my evolved CMOY and it's working (sounding) great. Thanks for the suggestion.
smile_phones.gif

It's a little bit better than the AD845KN -- slightly smoother and heavier mids, slightly more neutral tonality. On the other hand, the AD843 was perhaps the best sounding (I'd like to compare but I have them no more). That's at 24V, G= 4, and a 30 ohm isolation resistor (inside the feedback) on the outputs. Altogether I think it's my "definitive" CMOY opamp.

Interestingly the OPA228 looks (sounds) like perfectly stable, also because its current draw apparently is low compared to that of the AD845 judging by the time the led stays on when power is turned down. While the OPA552 (also stable from G= 5 on paper) made a slight distortion, only at a certain volume level, indicating that it was not quite stable.

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #277 of 396
Thanks for the info. I'll try the OPA552 probably tomorrow. When playing with Cmoy's, I was also able to make the OPA2228 stable at lower gains than 5 but at 2.7 it definitely needed additional compensation which made the sound worse so I just increased the gain.

Regarding the AD843 - it's artificially harsh to me with a kind of ugly timbre. You need a lot of nice coloration elsewhere in the signal chain to really enjoy it but it doesn't make overall sense IMHO.

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #278 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. I'll try the OPA552 probably tomorrow. When playing with Cmoy's, I was also able to make the OPA2228 stable at lower gains than 5 but at 2.7 it definitely needed additional compensation which made the sound worse so I just increased the gain.

Regarding the AD843 - it's artificially harsh to me with a kind of ugly timbre. You need a lot of nice coloration elsewhere in the signal chain to really enjoy it but it doesn't make overall sense IMHO.

I disagree about the AD843. When my DIYEDEN DAC still had sockets
smily_headphones1.gif
I tried it briefly and definitely found it good sounding, smooth, open and pleasing. This is with respect to the LT1028 that I've always liked, or the OPA211. Certainly it did sound different tonally. Don't think my system is so colored...

Even in the headphone system (Kenwood DP-X337 PCDP's line out - silver/copper cable - evolved CMOY - Senn HD238 and HD485) the AD843 sounded quite promising when I briefly tried it; maybe just a bit too dark, but in a CMOY that's not a bad thing (too many opamps sound too lightweight).

Anyway the OPA228P is good enough for it for me to call it definitive
smile_phones.gif
though later on I may want to compare with LT1361 and LT1364 (some of the best inside my CMOY).

The OPA552 sounded very good except for that slight distortion only at a specific volume level - must have had to do with input resistance (no caps in the signal path). I would rather use the OPA551 than increase the gain, which only a couple of opamps would benefit by; moreover, the resistors are SMD so it's just a bit more complicated (I would have to replace them with non-SMD ones).

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #279 of 396
Just wanted you guys to know that I am very pleased with the results of pairing the AD8066 with the OPA2211. The recorded signal sounded very clear and natural.

Also, I'm currently taking a stab at my own rendition of the OPA-Earth discrete opamp. Only difference: I opted for a surface mount design, as opposed to through-hole. Board layout has already been completed. PCBs should be in later this week.

For this project, I used thin film resistors, tolerant to 0.1%. I plan to use my LCZ for tighter pairing of passive components. Also, I had to do a bit of part substitution for the surface mount transistors.

I'll post pictures and share with you my results. If I'm not completely embarrassed by how the final result sounds, I may lend out a couple for review...

-Brian

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #281 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddman79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Link?

It's called "The Opamp thread" (orly? YARLY! IT MAKES SENSE!) and it's on the first page of the DIY section..
Go look it up...

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #283 of 396
You're a big boy now
smily_headphones1.gif
You must learn to take your own steps!

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #284 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by maddman79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AI'm currently taking a stab at my own rendition of the OPA-Earth discrete opamp. Only difference: I opted for a surface mount design, as opposed to through-hole. Board layout has already been completed. PCBs should be in later this week.

For this project, I used thin film resistors, tolerant to 0.1%. I plan to use my LCZ for tighter pairing of passive components. Also, I had to do a bit of part substitution for the surface mount transistors.

I'll post pictures and share with you my results. If I'm not completely embarrassed by how the final result sounds, I may lend out a couple for review...

-Brian

Can I speak for one of these test units?

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #285 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I speak for one of these test units?

Sure, you're welcome to test one. I'll pay for your shipping each way.

Keep in mind, this prototype is meant to be a drop-in replacement for a dual opamp in SIP-8 package. The driving force behind this project is to upgrade my turntable
wink.gif

Down the road, I may build a 4 or 6 layer version in DIP-8 package...

majkel and hopeless, would either of you have any interest in testing one? I have enough parts for four.

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back