Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #3,901 of 4,156
Quote:
From Audio-Gd site:  
"We only have sale the DI-PSU , we have not stock and sale the Lithium-ion battery or universal DC power supply" :frowning2:

I may have had a hand in that. Li-ion batteries are restricted to import to Australia and AGD tried for a months to send mine before we worked out why they kept being rejected and returned.
I didnt notice a difference between a battery and the PSU but the upgrade from USB power was a magical moment.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #3,903 of 4,156
On an free/inexpensive side note for those of you that have a battery pack or the psu, try taping the outermost pins of your usb cable part that plugs into your computer (pins 1 and 4, the ground and +5V pins). You'd need something like an exacto knife as well as electrical tape for this. The reason being is that even though the DI-V3 doesn't draw power from usb when using the psu/battery, computer noise can still be sent along the cable. This idea came from head-fi user "somestranger26" in the reference 10 thread, so props go to him. (I've googled around and not everyone has reported a difference a crossed a wide range of usb enabled dacs. Some of those dacs required the ground be left un-taped to be recognized by windows/osx/linux, but that doesn't seem to be an issue with audio-gd usb32 systems. Just thought i'd spread the word.)

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #3,904 of 4,156
as far as i know in usb-32 case those pins aren't even connected while it's not being fed from PC.
so, while in 99% of other usb-receivers this would give a result, in usb-32 case those actions are pretty useless

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #3,905 of 4,156
Quote:
as far as i know in usb-32 case those pins aren't even connected while it's not being fed from PC.
so, while in 99% of other usb-receivers this would give a result, in usb-32 case those actions are pretty useless

The pins are still physically connected and could possibly send computer noise. Switching the DI-V3 from usb mode to psu mode doesn't magically disconnect the ground and +5V, it just doesn't use them to draw power for operation anymore. Just because the DI-V3 isn't drawing anything intentionally doesn't mean the computer itself isn't sending anything by accident.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #3,906 of 4,156
Quote:
The pins are still physically connected and could possibly send computer noise. Switching the DI-V3 from usb mode to psu mode doesn't magically disconnect the ground and +5V

It's a switch, nothing magical about it, when switched to DC IN, the contacts connect the power supply to DC IN and disconnect USB.  You know... like a switch.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #3,907 of 4,156
I have a DI V1 w/PSU but never use it because the built in USB on my NFB-8 sounds better even though it isn't async.

Just got a DI V3 a few days ago which I use with bnc to NFB-8 and it is a big step up in sound in every way.

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3,908 of 4,156
I'd love to see John Darko's write up on the USB32 V3.  I believe he has his eye on revisiting the DI.  Love to hear where it stands beside the AP2 and Concero at 1/3 the price :D

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #3,909 of 4,156
hi guys,
can someone explain to me what does this do?

I'm currently on essence stx, but making a jump to the NFB 3.33 soon, just doing abit more research to see what else i need before i make the plunge to save on shipping.

My set up is Computer, Speakers ( Adam A3X, Active Speakers). And when im using the NFB 3.33, it should be Comp > nfb 3.33 > speakers.

how will this DI thing help? or its of no use to me

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3,910 of 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiselee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hi guys,
can someone explain to me what does this do?

I'm currently on essence stx, but making a jump to the NFB 3.33 soon, just doing abit more research to see what else i need before i make the plunge to save on shipping.

My set up is Computer, Speakers ( Adam A3X, Active Speakers). And when im using the NFB 3.33, it should be Comp > nfb 3.33 > speakers.

how will this DI thing help? or its of no use to me

The NFB-3.33 has USB-32 input (same as the DI) so I don't see any benefit getting the DI in your case.  You will be fine with PC > NFB-3.33 > speakers.

The main purpose of a DI is to convert PC's USB to SPDIF coaxial output, then send that digital signal to a DAC with coaxial input.  Good for situations like, if you want to use USB but your DAC doesn't have USB and only has coax input.

Jul 19, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3,912 of 4,156
Well A3X are active speakers, so they have volume control..

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #3,913 of 4,156
Quote:
Well A3X are active speakers, so they have volume control..

All active monitors don't necessarily have (e.g. the Focal solo6 don't), hence my question 
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #3,915 of 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All active monitors don't necessarily have (e.g. the Focal solo6 don't), hence my question 
wink.gif

I wasn't aware of active speakers without volume control, but it was easy enough to google and find that the A3X have volume control anyway...
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back