Audio-gd Digital Interface
Feb 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #3,481 of 4,156
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the V3 and give it a try myself.

Is the TCXO clock the exact same as the one used in the V1? It looks like it is. As I already have one, I may keep it and try it in the V3.

By the way, would you say that the improvements are quite subtle or truly noticeable without needing to make A/B tests?

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #3,483 of 4,156
The spare firmware is the #5 for replace the default #4 in the DI-V3,  consider slight on the warmer sound flavor and have not I2S output , the #5 working with the V1.1 driver under windows, have not driver install necessary under mac and Linux.

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #3,484 of 4,156
Quote:
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the V3 and give it a try myself.

Is the TCXO clock the exact same as the one used in the V1? It looks like it is. As I already have one, I may keep it and try it in the V3.

By the way, would you say that the improvements are quite subtle or truly noticeable without needing to make A/B tests?

In my case, the change is not subtle. Fidelity of piano and other instruments is really something. There are many nuances of the sound that I was missing from my DAC before. So far, I have never heard this level of fidelity from my setup. To my ears, the change is really distinctive and, day by day, I enjoy everything more and more. At some moments I am almost amazed by the sound because of its correctness. Imagine a yellow filter over your screen. You have an odd feeling that something is not right with your screen but you are not sure about it because you have nothing to compare your screen with. One day, someone takes the filter off your screen and you encounter that everything lost some odd touch. White is white now. I love this aspect of the upgrade V1>V3. It is really noticeable.

As for the TCXO, I haven't opened the DI-V3 yet and not sure if I can identify this... Ask Audio-GD, they will provide you an exact answer.

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #3,485 of 4,156
@ hawkhead : thanks for this. I'll have to order the specific clock for the V3 then

@ seaice : thank you for your answer, it makes it even more clear that I'm going to upgrade.
I've just came across the fact that there won't be any item shipped during the next few days or weeks from audio-gd due to the New Chinese Year (at least that's what they wrote on audio-gd website), and I'm leaving mid-March till September.
It looks like I'll upgrade in September now... Anyway, I'm going to ask Kingwa if he cannot quickly prepare a parcel for me before audio-gd closes in February, I've nothing to loose by trying it.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #3,486 of 4,156
Kingwa

thanks - you should put that information on your website.

I am running v1.22 drivers (I followed the instructions and have left the drivers where they were installed)

In foobar v 1.1.18 I can use KS, WASAPI but VIA ASIO will not play (no sound) and VIA ASIO will not open (It will open from the desktop shortcut). It will play if I use ASIO4ALL

Quote:
The spare firmware is the #5 for replace the default #4 in the DI-V3,  consider slight on the warmer sound flavor and have not I2S output , the #5 working with the V1.1 driver under windows, have not driver install necessary under mac and Linux.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3,487 of 4,156
I've just emailed Kingwa (or Edwin, I don't know), I hope they'll be able to dispatch before closing.

By the way, are both firmwares included in the package by default? I didn't see any pricing for a separate firmware part. I would like to try both especially if the #5 is a little more warm-sounding as Kingwa just said here (I'd hope for it not be colored but maybe add a little more bass and taper treble peaks a little).

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #3,488 of 4,156
@Pacha: I am still trying to describe the sound with my non-native English. After more listening and studying this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/220770/describing-sound-a-glossary I can describe the sound definitely as non-bright but crisp, well defined, extended in bass and treble with good peak control, focused, grip (bass is very well controlled), lush, natural, resolving, smooth, textured... I think that the V3 is better than the V1 in these areas.

Feb 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #3,489 of 4,156
Pacha

certainly I received both firmware without requesting them

Quote:
I've just emailed Kingwa (or Edwin, I don't know), I hope they'll be able to dispatch before closing.

By the way, are both firmwares included in the package by default? I didn't see any pricing for a separate firmware part. I would like to try both especially if the #5 is a little more warm-sounding as Kingwa just said here (I'd hope for it not be colored but maybe add a little more bass and taper treble peaks a little).

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #3,491 of 4,156
One warning to the V1>V3 upgrade: If a recording was ugly before the upgrade, it can be even uglier after the upgrade - I have encountered some treble peaks on ugly recordings. On the contrary, you will love nice recordings more than ever before :)

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,492 of 4,156
I'm not surprised by what you say, as the more my USB to SPDIF converters were improving, the crappiest bad recordings sounded. I'm prepared to that, and even if I regret sometimes to be able to listen to some (bad) records which I enjoyed on my PC sound card at least 5 or 6 years ago, the pleasure I get from good records now outclasses it by far.

Concerning V2, the V2 was said to bring improvements over V1, but not really striking improvements from what I can remember. You should forget about the V2 anyway as the drivers issue makes it not worth considering it.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #3,493 of 4,156
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in DI-V3 after reading some very positive reviews here. Thanks for all the posters! Can I ask if it plays 44.1khz and its multiples as well as the multiples of 48khz? Because I read somewhere that the older version DI-V1 plays 48khz files better.

And the new DI-V3 doesn't have upsampling function. Am I right?

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3,494 of 4,156
I'm asking myself the same question about upsampling on the V3.
If there is any upsampling, it looks like you can't change the rate like on the V1.
I think it may be non-upsampling then, avoiding compatibility trouble with some DACs.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #3,495 of 4,156
For those using the PSU + USB input on the DI and who want to get rid of USB power completely (and its noise), I found a quick and easy workaround not requiring cable surgery:

I've read on some websites that many DAC won't work without USB power, obviously. But we shouldn't be limited by that with the DI as it can be powered by its dedicated PSU.
I cutted small pieces of paper from a post it note, which I pushed in until I reached the bottom of the connector computer side, and held them both in place with some tape, letting only the data pins visible.
I plugged that and the DI was recognized by the PC when power via PSU. Switching to USB power at the back of the DI, it wasn't recognized anymore, so no USB power.
I had small pops in the sound so I think my paper insulation isn't very good and I must had brought bad contact with the data pins, but it proved that we can go this way if we want data only USB, it will definitely work with the DI.

I finally worked it out using rubber electrical insulation sticky tape, and that fixed the pops. Same deal, just cut small pieces of that tape and place it over the power pins of the USB plug computer side (that's both pin outward the inside of the plug).
I had the same power behaviour that with paper i.e. with power switch set on USB on the DI, the DI wasn't recognized, while with switch set on PSU, the DI worked. So no USB power any more going through the USB cable then.

After a short try, I don't find any difference in the sound after this mod though. It seems that the DI's USB isolation is already pretty good. Anyway, it couldn't be a bad mod, plus it was cheap and easy to make. I'll let it plugged like that.

Those who wish to try may let us know what they think about changes in sound if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back