Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jun 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #3,046 of 4,156
Quote:
I think the problem arises with certain spdi/f receivers inside the dacs. With my Valab NOS DAC I recall playing 24/96 with WASAPI fine. It has a DIR9001 receiver. My Oritek which doesn't work with the DI has a CS8416 receiver.
Which dac's / receiver's do you have?

Computer -> DI -> NFB10-ES (ES9018). For some reason, my laptop does not have the same blue screen issues, or I did not test long enough to see one (a couple hours). I wonder if it has to do with motherboard, etc. since the Hiface had an issue running on AMD chipsets for a while after release. My laptop is using an Intel QM57 chipset , and my desktop is using the AMD 890GX chipset.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #3,047 of 4,156
my dac has cs8416 receiver and plays 24/96 signal nicely (it also indicates that it's a 24/96 signal)

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #3,048 of 4,156
Quote:
Computer -> DI -> NFB10-ES (ES9018). For some reason, my laptop does not have the same blue screen issues, or I did not test long enough to see one (a couple hours). I wonder if it has to do with motherboard, etc. since the Hiface had an issue running on AMD chipsets for a while after release. My laptop is using an Intel QM57 chipset , and my desktop is using the AMD 890GX chipset.

My motherboard is Asus M5A78L LE which uses AMD 780G chipset. I didn't have any problems with the previous version of Digital Interface or HiFace Two.

I also got Stello U3 for testing purposes today, it runs smooth and fine with all material and outputs. I installed Thesycon drivers for U3 and they're somewhat similar setup than Tenor drivers but the control panel is more sophisticated. ASIO output changes to correct output depending on what you play from foobar. Thesycon driver package is much more polished and finished than Tenor. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3,049 of 4,156
my dac has cs8416 receiver and plays 24/96 signal nicely (it also indicates that it's a 24/96 signal)

I don't think it matters because you are using I2S so you're bypassing the receiver. :)
Did you try Coax?

DI-DSP set to upsample to 24/96 (jumpers inside)--> Win7 set to output 24/96 with all boxes checked that apply (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96) --> Media Center (w/o upsampling) --> Ref-8 DAC. The AGD is set to 24/96 in "Audio Format" and streaming shows 24/96 on a 24/96 recording I have. Sounds very good.

I understand your DAC has the DSP-1 which uses the DIR9001 spdif receiver, the same as my Valab that works.

So far (to my understanding):

DIR9001 - OK
ES9018 - OK

CS8416 - BAD

I don't know what spdif receiver the Naim DAC uses.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3,050 of 4,156
Now getting device not recognised suddenly

Have tried: reboot, install drivers again, usb and external power, deleted devices in device mangler

W7 64bit, DI DSP

any suggestions ?

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,051 of 4,156
1. Different computer?
2. Leave USB unconnected and check if coax input works.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #3,052 of 4,156
For those still using a cd transport, you will find that the DI-DSP improves even low-jitter DACS. I do caution that the improvement will heard only on high end phones or amps and speakers. It is mainly in the imaging area. Increased air, instrumental separation, and overtone reproduction. You should hear what it does to massed brass. Regards

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #3,053 of 4,156
Quote:
I don't think it matters because you are using I2S so you're bypassing the receiver.
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you try Coax?

yep. i've tried coax already. sound a little worse then i2s, but it works up to 24/96

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #3,054 of 4,156
I understand. What settings are you using? WASPI / KS / ASIO, and what are your selection for the output audio format?

Kingwa says that the CS8416 is "hard to design" and different designs might actually not work. I hope this can be fixed through the drivers.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #3,055 of 4,156
I don't know what S/PDIF receiver Naim DAC uses. Can you find anything in the white paper?

http://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/naim_dac_august_2009.pdf

This is the biggest picture I could find of the Naim DAC insides:

http://www.audioplus.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/gallery/naim-dac/Interior_DAC_Med.jpg

6moons review also has some pictures on the second page:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/naim4/dac.html

I do know that it uses SHARC DSP by Analog Devices and PCM 1704K DAC chips.

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #3,056 of 4,156
I think the sharc has the spdif receiver integrated.
Anyhow, I am now convinced the problem is not the spdif receiver.

You see, when Ori from Oritek Audio upgraded the dac (from Zhaolu into Oritek) he put a transformer on the coax input as one of the upgrades, it should reduce jitter / upgrade the sound, but actually makes an incompatibility with some audio format's / transporters.

With the confirmed advice of Kingwa, I bypassed that transformer and everything works quite well now :)

Now I need to figure out a replacement transformer that works.. argh. I think it is the added resistence that screws up the AES signal - there is a small resistor under the socket, I'll try to bypass it.

However, there is still the BSOD problems that needs to be addressed. It would be nice if you could send and email to Kingwa so he would be more aware of the situation.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #3,057 of 4,156
Quote:
However, there is still the BSOD problems that needs to be addressed. It would be nice if you could send and email to Kingwa so he would be more aware of the situation.

I've sent many e-mails to him already. Kingwa told me that he contacted Tenor to see if they can do something to the drivers. I guess we can only wait now.

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #3,058 of 4,156
Well, as far as I can tell it only affects ASIO, so you might just use ASIO4ALL for a while.

Now I need to figure out a replacement transformer that works.. argh. I think it is the added resistence that screws up the AES signal - there is a small resistor under the socket, I'll try to bypass it.

I was quite right actually - I put back the transformer and then removed the 75R resistor. 96Khz still plays beautifully and the transformer (upgrade) is back.
I think there a slight impedance mismatch with certain dac's so this might be good info if someone else have this kind of problem.

(enlarge to see circled resistor)

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #3,059 of 4,156
Still having issues with the DI-=DSP not working intermittently

This is the error message in Foobar:

Unrecoverable playback error: Starting ASIO failed : Hardware not present

In the Foobar configuration and Windows device manager everything is present and looks correct

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3,060 of 4,156
I have a DI-V2-S and I am getting Blue Screens. I am using a AMD 890gx chipset

Users who are viewing this thread

Back