Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jul 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,296 of 4,156
For those of you having drop-outs, you can try the following guide. For me, switching from best appearance to best performance on my windows 7 set-up did the trick. In fact, it kinda made the sound much better, at least to my ears anyway.

However, my windows 7 looks like crap now. lol.

Try most of the tips that is set out in the guide, not all. I wouldn't risk turning off my anti-virus program or my firewall.

http://serato.com/articles/scratchlive/1927/computer-optimization-guide-for-windows-users/page/1

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #2,297 of 4,156
lol heh. thats one of the first things i do (another tab in where you set the cpu scheduler favouring bg svcs vs processes)... at the end of the day on aero themes might offload some work to the gfx card. but still, i don't quite understand why people care what their taskbar or window top looks like (that delicious win95 look lol)

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2,298 of 4,156
At this point I'm pretty sure this is some kind of fault with a particular batch of DI.  I ordered mine back in April.  Please confirm the date you purchased you DI and its functionality.  At this point we can rule out 1) the music software 2) the OS 3) any other issues independent of the DI hardware.  Not happy.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #2,299 of 4,156

Quote:
At this point I'm pretty sure this is some kind of fault with a particular batch of DI.  I ordered mine back in April.  Please confirm the date you purchased you DI and its functionality.  At this point we can rule out 1) the music software 2) the OS 3) any other issues independent of the DI hardware.  Not happy.

I'm pretty sure it is the OS, I have had the DI probably around the last quarter of last year. It is only when I switched over to a new pc with windows 7 as the OS that the dropouts were frequent.

I was previously using Windows XP.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #2,300 of 4,156
tried your appearance settings.  It ugly.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #2,302 of 4,156
Dropouts haven't returned.  This is a big price to pay 
eek.gif
 lol

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #2,303 of 4,156

Quote:
Dropouts haven't returned.  This is a big price to pay 
eek.gif
 lol

Actually, at that tab where you switched to set windows for best performance, you try out a custom setting, maybe tick some of the appearance options to make it look more pleasing. Just tick one or two and see if the dropouts come back. I'm currently using a custom setting with just 2 or 3 of the options checked.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #2,304 of 4,156
Thanks flu_fighter I will try that when my rage from dropouts subsides subsides lol

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #2,305 of 4,156

Quote:

Drez,

have you read what I said before ?

I think this has to do with the Sabre chip inside your Dac as in mine...

But if you managed to resolve changing Win7 appareance, well, better...

Let's say that the Sabre chip makes the dropout more probable.

All the best

AF

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #2,306 of 4,156
i've got PC with 3gb ram and an intel e5200 oc'd to 3,5ghz with and ATI 4870 videcard and usually have dropouts when my computer runs any programs (mozilla firefox, 3d games,etc) i.e. not working just as a media player.
i thought it is supposed to behave this way.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #2,307 of 4,156

Quote:
i've got PC with 3gb ram and an intel e5200 oc'd to 3,5ghz with and ATI 4870 videcard and usually have dropouts when my computer runs any programs (mozilla firefox, 3d games,etc) i.e. not working just as a media player.

It's funny...I'm using a cheap Alix board with Linux with MPD: no droputs :wink: 
Streaming music does not need a massive pc like that...I suggest you to use a different OS.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #2,308 of 4,156

Overclocking is great, but it might not be the best idea if you seek maximum audio quality from your computer.

When you accelerate your processor (in your case - 30%), you most likely raise the voltage, and then you need more cooling, etc
and at the end you put a lot of strain on your power supply, memory controller, north/south/middle-earth bridges, other controllers,
which at the end affect the performance and more important - stability of USB and PCI/PCI-E busses, which transfer audio signals.

Overclocking was one of my hobbies, and I remember having a perfectly stable system which passed every possible stress test,
nevertheless a TV PCI card would hiccup unless I run stock. You can never completely determine the influence of running out-of-spec on the system.

Bottom line - Overclocking can cause more jitter, more apparent ripple/noise from PSU, hiccups and drop-outs in audio stream caused by error correction. 

Quote:

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #2,309 of 4,156
i agree.
but i prefer wasting money on audio, so getting a $50 CPU in order to make it perform (almost) as a $200 one gives me $150.
and i need at least some performance, 'cuz i play a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back