Audio-gd Digital Interface
May 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,996 of 4,156
You need DIP format chip. The VHC variants are with lower "propagation delay" value which give a more "focused" sound, like applying a sharpen filter to a picture. The stock HC variants would give a "smoother" sound. There are also the HCU unbuffered variant which is not supposed to be compatible but may work and give another sonic signature.

HCU do work... possibly even better than VHC (it is just that I can not recall which one I left inside as my preference).

May 23, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #1,997 of 4,156
Quote:
when using Foobar, i received best results with Ploytec ASIO drivers.
default windows drivers even when streamed with WASAPI sounded muddy to me. (though WASAPI sounded better than DS)

Hi kr0gg,
Hi everyone else who might know,

how did you manage to get the Ploytec drivers working with the DI? Did you add lines to the .inf-files containing vendor's-ID, etc.? If yes, how did you do it precisely?

Aren't the Ploytec drivers derived from e.g. the Aqvox drivers? How much do the Ploytec drivers cost if I decide to purchase them?

Thanks,
Eunegis

May 23, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #1,998 of 4,156
Quote:

Hi kr0gg,
Hi everyone else who might know,

how did you manage to get the Ploytec drivers working with the DI? Did you add lines to the .inf-files containing vendor's-ID, etc.? If yes, how did you do it precisely?

Aren't the Ploytec drivers derived from e.g. the Aqvox drivers? How much do the Ploytec drivers cost if I decide to purchase them?

Thanks,
Eunegis

Aqvox uses OEM Ploytec, not the other way around...Ploytec drivers support te7022l, but not completely (not 24b/96k?). You can force the install if it doesn't pick up auto.

May 23, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #1,999 of 4,156
i can (could) easily stream 24/96 by Ploytec drivers. those are (were) 2.8.40 version
these drivers are a little buggy with frequency change (i.e it sometimes "falls out" when you switch between 44,48,96 tracks), but it sounds pretty nice.
also i had to uncheck the "input" box in driver settings every time music format changed in order to stop "noisy" sound. unchecking that box took too much time, so...

..finally i deleted these drivers since i've found a (free) russian music player that even with default Windows drivers delivers (imho) a better or equal sound quality than Ploytec ASIO.
it uses WASAPI (and other types of outputs). and there is a real audible difference with Foobar's WASAPI
unfortunately, this player has a number of bugs too, but being a "beta" it is supposed to have a number of them :)

May 23, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #2,000 of 4,156
i can (could) easily stream 24/96 by Ploytec drivers. those are (were) 2.8.40 version
these drivers are a little buggy with frequency change (i.e it sometimes "falls out" when you switch between 44,48,96 tracks), but it sounds pretty nice.
also i had to uncheck the "input" box in driver settings every time music format changed in order to stop "noisy" sound. unchecking that box took too much time, so...

..finally i deleted these drivers since i've found a (free) russian music player that even with default Windows drivers delivers (imho) a better or equal sound quality than Ploytec ASIO.
it uses WASAPI (and other types of outputs). and there is a real audible difference with Foobar's WASAPI
unfortunately, this player has a number of bugs too, but being a "beta" it is supposed to have a number of them :)

Ploytec's now 2.8.45, you could have a try on it and see if the bugs are gone, but you'd have to use the demo version with the beeps (if you haven't bought it :wink: )...

M, aimp3 and wasapi are nice. I've been using it since V2 and the new audio engine is very nice (ASIO and WASAPI support, feature rich,quick and pretty interface).

Hopefully Artem will keep updating it more frequently, since there are still some fairly serious bugs... But at least it also has ASIO support if your sound card natively supports it.

May 23, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #2,001 of 4,156
So Ploytec drivers support the Tenor chip (and the DI) natively, no software tweaking necessary, right?
@kr0gg: What Russian player is that?
Are there ASIO alternatives?
I'm using the drivers in a cMP² system, so ASIO is mandatory for me.
Does ASIO4ALL work with the DI?
(though ASIO4ALL is only a wrapper in opposition to the Ploytec, AFAIK - don't know if a wrapper is reliably bit perfect)

May 23, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #2,002 of 4,156
@Eunegis: you can download it here: http://vv.uka.ru/aplayer.zip
i use it with this wasapi: http://adionsoft.net/winampwasapi/ (just put it in the directory folder)

i should warn you about a few things:
1) it is in russian (but there aren't much options to select, so i guess it won't be too complicated)
2) its interface is kinda "spartan". (i personally don't care - i've designed my foobar interface even more spartan :)
3) it's a beta.
4) i don't know this guy, so can't guarantee anything about harm, viruses, etc. use it at your own risk.

May 23, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #2,003 of 4,156
@Eunegis: you can download it here: http://vv.uka.ru/aplayer.zip
i use it with this wasapi: http://adionsoft.net/winampwasapi/ (just put it in the directory folder)

i should warn you about a few things:
1) it is in russian (but there aren't much options to select, so i guess it won't be too complicated)
2) its interface is kinda "spartan". (i personally don't care - i've designed my foobar interface even more spartan :)
3) it's a beta.
4) i don't know this guy, so can't guarantee anything about harm, viruses, etc. use it at your own risk.

oh... lol, I meant http://aimp.ru/index.php (AIMP3) (that does have an english installer and UI language, but also supports ASIO and WASAPI output). It also supports all the major formats out of the box (alac,flac,ape,wv,etc) but the interface isn't minimalistic. Although the developer probably should improve mouse-less navigation a bit. It's been around for years now, and verified by the hosting cos to be virus free/etc. Plus it won a couple of Multimedia awards over the last few years

May 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #2,004 of 4,156
I'm not sure if this has been discussed within the thread, but has anyone tried the no-change setting without the clock in the socket?

I was testing between the stock clock, a Vanguard TCXO and a Tentlabs XO for the upsampling. In the end I preferred without upsampling. Since Kingwa said the clock is not used in the no change setting, I took out the clock. Surprisingly there seems to be some difference in the sonic and I wonder if there's any influence the clock has in the socket and without. I tested all three clock in the socket in the no-change setting. There were perceptible changes in the sound with each clock having a subtle impact on the sound. In the end, I found that no clock in the socket turns out to provide the most transparent and clean output signal to the DAC. Details and ambient information are a lot more noticeable without any clock in the socket. I thought Kingwa said the clock isn't used when not upsampling but it seems to have an effect on the signal.

May 23, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #2,005 of 4,156
Quote:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed within the thread, but has anyone tried the no-change setting without the clock in the socket?

I was testing between the stock clock, a Vanguard TCXO and a Tentlabs XO for the upsampling. In the end I preferred without upsampling. Since Kingwa said the clock is not used in the no change setting, I took out the clock. Surprisingly there seems to be some difference in the sonic and I wonder if there's any influence the clock has in the socket and without. I tested all three clock in the socket in the no-change setting. There were perceptible changes in the sound with each clock having a subtle impact on the sound. In the end, I found that no clock in the socket turns out to provide the most transparent and clean output signal to the DAC. Details and ambient information are a lot more noticeable without any clock in the socket. I thought Kingwa said the clock isn't used when not upsampling but it seems to have an effect on the signal.

Oh dear. I ordered the upgraded TCXO clock during the midst of the hype and I find that I don't like it at all. Never use it.

Now it worries me that the clock affects the sound even without upsampling. It has been soldered on my unit and no way I could take it out.

May 23, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #2,006 of 4,156
in my case - i don't know.
at first i liked the upgraded clock a lot.
then i've found out that in some cases no-upsampling mode gives more transparency to the sound BUT at the cost of added sibilance.
finally i've left it on 48 setting because that is maximum that my DAC understands. at least DI does the re-sample job better than any software and i need to downsample 88 and 96 music anyway.

May 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #2,007 of 4,156

Quote:
in my case - i don't know.
at first i liked the upgraded clock a lot.
then i've found out that in some cases no-upsampling mode gives more transparency to the sound BUT at the cost of added sibilance.
finally i've left it on 48 setting because that is maximum that my DAC understands. at least DI does the re-sample job better than any software and i need to downsample 88 and 96 music anyway.

Sibilance? From where????

confused.gif

My music is smooth and sweet with no upsampling.

I do prefer the upsampling on my music playback software though. It brings the music alive and smoothen the edges without losing details and transparency.

May 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #2,008 of 4,156

Quote:

Sibilance? From where????

confused.gif

My music is smooth and sweet with no upsampling.

I do prefer the upsampling on my music playback software though. It brings the music alive and smoothen the edges without losing details and transparency.

Hi uelover

Do you find that when you upsample it does things like bringing the vocals forward?

May 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #2,009 of 4,156

Quote:
HCU do work... possibly even better than VHC (it is just that I can not recall which one I left inside as my preference).

The HCU types are "unbuffered" inverters, which just invert the incoming waveforms. The HC/VHC types are "buffered" type, which would invert the incoming signals plus "square up" the output signal to make it pure square wave.

I suppose if the signal prior the Hex inverter stage in the DI is "square" enough, then the HCU type can be used.

May 23, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #2,010 of 4,156

Quote:
_______
Set-up: Foobar -> ASIO -> Wireworld Starlight USB cable -> Audio-Gd Digital Interface + PSU -> Black Cat Veloce BNC -> Audio-Gd FUN ver A Modded BNC Input (WM8741, DIR9001 (Upgraded Tentlabs XO), ADA4627-1BRZ opamps, ACSS, Audio-Gd Power Cable) Headphones: Sennheiser HD650+ DHC Nucleotide,HD25-13

What ASIO driver are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back