Audio-gd Digital Interface
Apr 18, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #1,906 of 4,156
Hi guys,

Simple question here before I ask Kingwa. I found an adaptor (GE) that allows me to choose the DC 2, 4.5, 6, 7.5 or 9 V and it's good to 800MA (whatever that means...) I know Kingwa recommends DC 7V and 400 MA.

I presume I could choose the 7.5 on the adaptor. But the 800MA could this affect the DI in a negative way ?

Thanks for your time

Denys

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #1,911 of 4,156
I'd really appreciate some help here. I installed and burned-in the new Eastern Electric DAC and tried it using spdif via the DI with a Veloce SPDIF cable. The sound was one thing (tilted a bit too froward for my liking) but what I did have is constant drop-outs. I have read in a couple of threads on other sites that the Audio-GD DI (as well as the Teralink and the Stello) pass on too much jitter for the chip in the EE DAC to handle, the new Sabre ESS 9018. I tried the DI on both a W7 pc server and a Linux server and both had drop-puts every 45 seconds or so.  When I disconnected the DI and fed the EE DAC directly with the USB cable, the drop-outs disappeared.
Is this a well-known issue? Any possible solutions/ideas/comments appreciated.
I may not keep the DAC anyway, as I have to do an A/B with my modded Havana but I had been pretty happy with the DI and don't really want to go to an aysnchronous USB-direct system (yet).....

Edit: would turning on the upsampling to 192 help? It's currently running in the default mode but I did install the updgraded clock in the DI for a future try-out and am wondering now if that would help the jitter issue....

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #1,912 of 4,156

Quote:
Edit: would turning on the upsampling to 192 help? It's currently running in the default mode but I did install the updgraded clock in the DI for a future try-out and am wondering now if that would help the jitter issue....

Quick answer:  Yes , enabling the DI upsampling lowers the jitter... you can read more about other dropout fixes that worked for other Head-fier's at the Audio-GD NFB-11 thread , page 57 - post # 853 seems to confirm this.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,913 of 4,156
Hello.

I'm thinking about purchasing the DI with the improved clock, but I've just read on the Audio_gd website that 'The clock only active while setting at upsampling output'.  So if you don't use the upsample facility on the DI the clock is a waste of $23???

If I buy the DI it will be feeding a Dacmagic, which upsamples to 24bit 192khz anyway.  So will feeding the Dacmagic an upsampled signal only for the Dacmagic to upsample again be fine on SQ??

Cheers.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #1,914 of 4,156
Quote:

I would recommend 96khz over 192khz (or at least try both and see which you like) as it's a lot more subtle of an effect.

Quote:
I'm thinking about purchasing the DI with the improved clock, but I've just read on the Audio_gd website that 'The clock only active while setting at upsampling output'.  So if you don't use the upsample facility on the DI the clock is a waste of $23???

If I buy the DI it will be feeding a Dacmagic, which upsamples to 24bit 192khz anyway.  So will feeding the Dacmagic an upsampled signal only for the Dacmagic to upsample again be fine on SQ??

Yes the clock is a waste of money if you don't use upsampling on the DI. It might be better or worse upsampling with the DI vs Dacmagic, you'd just have to try it yourself. With the Dacmagic I think it would be better to save your money and wait to buy the DI till you have a better DAC that will realize the improvements more.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #1,915 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:

I would recommend 96khz over 192khz (or at least try both and see which you like) as it's a lot more subtle of an effect.

Yes the clock is a waste of money if you don't use upsampling on the DI. It might be better or worse upsampling with the DI vs Dacmagic, you'd just have to try it yourself. With the Dacmagic I think it would be better to save your money and wait to buy the DI till you have a better DAC that will realize the improvements more.

So you don't think its worth buying the DI??  For a modest outlay I'm sure it will improve the Dacmagic.  I'm finding that the Dacmagic likes a clean signal, but does ok with a jittery one, but 'OK' is not good enough for me and smears the soundstage somewhat and the top end is a little harsh.  I just want a cheap box that reduces jitter and the DI looks the best out Hiface and V-link.

The Dacmagic is just a stop gap for the moment.  At the end of the year I want to invest in my music system so will probably get a Audio-gd NFB2 or something similar.  I don't think the DI will come down in price, if anything it will rise due to cost of material, so buying now I feel is worth it.

Your thoughts??

PS - I will not buy the upgraded clock as its probably not worth it in my case.

Cheers.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #1,916 of 4,156
talking about different PSUs - can anyone measure volts/ampers of Audio-gd's PSU?
it would be much easier to select a suitable one then.

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #1,919 of 4,156

Quote:
talking about different PSUs - can anyone measure volts/ampers of Audio-gd's PSU?
it would be much easier to select a suitable one then.

I just bought yesterday a GE Universal adapter PSU for $20 for my DI.

I choose 7.5 V in lieu of 6V and it has 800MA (Kingwa recommends 7V and 400MA minimum). Result is fantastic.... no more hums which came from the bad signal of the USB port. I believe Kingwa should mention that on his web site......The PSU does make a significant change when the USB port comes from a cheap laptop...

And by the way, yes it's worth to purchase the DI to improve the sound of the DacMagic, and I belive it's worth to purchase the upgraded clock now as more and more we find hi def music available....$23 is not a big amount to invest...

My thoughts anyway

Denys

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #1,920 of 4,156
Hmm if I am not wrong, the upgraded clock will only be used when we set DI to 'upsampling mode' which will upsample everything, regardless of their native sampling rate, to the desired rate.

However, when running on 'bypass mode', if we were feed 96khz high-res file into the DI and let the DI bypass it to the DAC, the upgraded clock will not be used.

Am I correct to say that? Since no upsampling was performed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back