Audio-gd Digital Interface
Mar 24, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #1,756 of 4,156
Strangely enough, the same thing happened when I plugged my Musiland Monitor 02 into my netbook for the first time. Took me way too long to work out what was wrong.

Quote:
I found out what the culprit was. Balance setting was set all the way to the left for some reason in output settings on my macbook. USB works fine and everything is all good now.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #1,757 of 4,156

Quote:
Agree - there is a subtle difference.  I'm using a non-oversampling DAC so that I can hear EXACTLY what the DI upsampling algorith is doing, and it is not a lot.  On that basis, I'd suggest to anyone that it is best to change this link in any audio chain LAST.

I was actually referring to the Windows setting, not the DI. But I do have the DI at 96 as well.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #1,758 of 4,156
I'm sorry if you read that in my post. I was just balancing your first reply where readers might understand the text as anyone doing business with these folks automatic will end up with a good product. In the context as any Red Book CD player should be equally bad or good course they lisence the same technology as Mark Levinson do to make they product work.

Quote:
I've no interest in CEntrance other than being a great fan of their products so far and in that respect, i surely ain't the only one in this forum. 

Did you mean to say the products by Line6 which were using licensed technology from CEntrance did not leave up to expectations and that you had to junk them from the studio?

Just googled the collaboration between the 2 companies and i do see that they might have worked together on the Line6 pocketPOD and to be honest, without having a first hand experience with said product, i'm hesitant to condemn CEntrance just because they might have worked on a product that you felt failed to live up to expectations.

On the other hand tho, i can assure you i really am enjoying the CEntance DACport. It does exactly what it says it would do and customer service has been nothing short of outstanding.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,759 of 4,156

Quote:
I'm sorry if you read that in my post. I was just balancing your first reply where readers might understand the text as anyone doing business with these folks automatic will end up with a good product. In the context as any Red Book CD player should be equally bad or good course they lisence the same technology as Mark Levinson do to make they product work.

No love lost here. Point taken! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #1,760 of 4,156
Forgive my confusion but I can't seem to get this straight in my head, must be age....:)
I'm planning on trying out an EE Minimax DAC to compare it with my NOS Havana. The Minimax can play 24/96 files  so do I need to set the jumpers inside  my DI to the specific setting to allow this or will the DI pass the files through without any re-configuration inside the unit?

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #1,761 of 4,156
It would be great if some one post recommended settings for both computer and digital interface (upsamling rates, foobar wasapi out bit rate etc.)
popcorn.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #1,762 of 4,156

Quote:
 do I need to set the jumpers inside  my DI to the specific setting to allow this or will the DI pass the files through without any re-configuration inside the unit?

Yes, if you want to upsample. 

By default, it will just pass through whatever you feed it. 

Quote:
It would be great if some one post recommended settings for both computer and digital interface (upsamling rates, foobar wasapi out bit rate etc.)
popcorn.gif

I would leave settings default on the computer and just let the DI do its work (this should give the cleanest signal possible). Foobar (WASAPI/ASIO) set output to 24bit and that's it. For Mac, I use Decibel and leave settings as is except I like to load files into memory. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #1,763 of 4,156
So I set the jumpers for 192 but leave the oversampling off? I read the following in a review by Doug Schroeder of the Minimax DAC in Dagogo.com that would seem to support this :

"In order to test the consistency of the 32 bit upsampling I tried several tracks fed to the Minimax via 16 bit/44.1 and then 24 bit/192, with the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C connected via digital coaxial cable. The Azur’s digital output can toggle between these two signals on the fly with the remote. There was no discernible a difference in sound between the two modes as they were treated by the Minimax.
Similarly, I fed both the standard Redbook signal as well as the upsampled output from the Ayon CD-5 into the Minimax. Again, no discernible difference was heard, even when switching on the fly. It appears there is no significant advantage to sending an upsampled signal to the Minimax; you get the same result either way. This speaks to the consistency of the processing through the Sabre chip. This is great news for people with lower-quality streaming audio. I use a Sonos Digital Music System, which only outputs 16/44.1, but with the Minimax DAC it will have the same sound as if it was a high-end player’s signal being sent to the DAC. The Manual mirrors ESS’s specifications in that all sources are upgraded to a 32 bit and 32 KHz, 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz, or 192 KHz (except USB) sampling rates. In other words, you get the full potential of the highest caliber chip from ESS Technology in a tidy package. (my emphasis)
It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this revelation. This fairly makes “Hi Rez” downloads a moot feature. If Hi Rez streams at 24 bits, but one can take plain old streaming audio at 16 bits and get the same result, there’s not much incentive to pursue costly downloads. Alternatively, there’s a lot of incentive to gravitate toward music websites like Rhapsody, or one of my new favorites, Lastfm.com; the final outcome as treated by the Minimax is theoretically better than your typical Hi Rez sound! I say theoretically, as I have not actually compared Hi Rez files to those upgraded by the Minimax. However, there is no mistaking the upgrade to the sound of even a 24 bit signal from a Redbook player."

Am I off-base here?.....

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #1,764 of 4,156
Upsampling to 192 khz won't necessarily sound the best. I personally prefer 96 khz for most recordings, sometimes I prefer no upsampling. Depends on your taste. I would leave oversampling off, just my preference, as I like to stay as true to the recording as possible.

If you are comparing DACs, I would first try out both without the DI. Then add the DI into the mix to see if you hear any difference. That should "theoretically" tell you how well your DAC handles jitter.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #1,765 of 4,156
Quote:
do I need to set the jumpers inside  my DI to the specific setting to allow this or will the DI pass the files through without any re-configuration inside the unit?

No. If you play a 24/96 file it will come out 24/96 if you don't change anything on the Di.

Quote:Originally Posted by Alexdad54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I set the jumpers for 192 but leave the oversampling off? I read the following in a review by Doug Schroeder of the Minimax DAC in Dagogo.com that would seem to support this :

No... you said your DAC can only play 24/96.

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,766 of 4,156
Leaving upsampling jumper off and 96khz on, is there any difference from default setting (all jumpers off) ?

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #1,769 of 4,156
Just want to note that OSSv4 under linux supports the DI but the mixer does not not work nor do any balance controls. So essentially it's bitperfect out of the box, only way to adjust volume is if the program has it's own volume control. Also because the oss mixer doesn't work only one app can access the device at a time. 
Not sure if this changes with the latest SVN but for me the version in the archlinux repo's works well like this.

Mar 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #1,770 of 4,156
Just want to note that OSSv4 under linux supports the DI but the mixer does not not work nor do any balance controls. So essentially it's bitperfect out of the box, only way to adjust volume is if the program has it's own volume control. Also because the oss mixer doesn't work only one app can access the device at a time. 
Not sure if this changes with the latest SVN but for me the version in the archlinux repo's works well like this.

you'd probably have to go and 'complain' on a forum the main contributors to the repo hang out (if any). Generally it's either convincing them that it's good to put the changes on the TODO or FIXME list, or DIY :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back