Audio-gd Digital Interface
Mar 18, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #1,712 of 4,156
I just received my DI+psu, one of the reasons i wanted it was to solve a groundloop problem since it's supposded to do that but it still has that problem. Everything is grounded in my setup so maybe my DI is defective? 
It should have the spdif output isolated right? I have the A version with the switch set to usb and only usb connected.

It does sound better but still i'd like to get rid of this groundloop problem 
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,714 of 4,156

Quote:
I just received my DI+psu, one of the reasons i wanted it was to solve a groundloop problem since it's supposded to do that but it still has that problem. Everything is grounded in my setup so maybe my DI is defective? 
It should have the spdif output isolated right? I have the A version with the switch set to usb and only usb connected.

It does sound better but still i'd like to get rid of this groundloop problem 
frown.gif

Set it to DC not USB power...

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,715 of 4,156

I have set it to DC power and  if i set it to usb power the humming is even louder, i was talking about the source switch between coax and usb to ilustrate that it can't come from groundloop through the coax input(which is also not connected). I should've been more clear i guess.
Quote:
Set it to DC not USB power...

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,716 of 4,156
i'm surprised no one seems bothered by the seeming lack of bitperfect output from the DI. i always thought of this function as the absolute baseline feature for a D to D device. am i missing something?

there have also been some emphatic statements elsewhere that the DI is not asynchronous, though Audio-gd advertises it as such. Can anyone confirm either way?

Mar 19, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #1,717 of 4,156
Quote:
I have set it to DC power and  if i set it to usb power the humming is even louder, i was talking about the source switch between coax and usb to ilustrate that it can't come from groundloop through the coax input(which is also not connected). I should've been more clear i guess.

Ah, well that's odd; I've never heard of anyone having a ground loop with the DI. I would email kingwa and ask for his advice.

Quote:
i'm surprised no one seems bothered by the seeming lack of bitperfect output from the DI. i always thought of this function as the absolute baseline feature for a D to D device. am i missing something?

there have also been some emphatic statements elsewhere that the DI is not asynchronous, though Audio-gd advertises it as such. Can anyone confirm either way?

Not an issue for me, I'm not listening to HDCD or 5.1 DTS soundtracks or anything and my DAC doesn't support such formats anyway. For 2-ch music, which is the main purpose of the DI, I don't see the need of having bitperfect.

I've not seen any evidence that the DI is not asynchronous.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,719 of 4,156

Quote:

Not an issue for me, I'm not listening to HDCD or 5.1 DTS soundtracks or anything and my DAC doesn't support such formats anyway. For 2-ch music, which is the main purpose of the DI, I don't see the need of having bitperfect.

bitperfect refers to "the ability to output a digital data stream from an SPDIF port to a receiver (DAC) without experiencing any loss or degradation of the signal in the process."

its benefits are not limited to HDCD or DTS. its just as relevant in any 2-Channel system. HDCD and DTS are just the easiest ways to test if a signal is bitperfect.

Quote:
The tenor TE7022 chip used in the DI is adaptive, not asynchronous. It's been said a couple of times in this thread

well if this is true, Audio-gd needs to edit their web page.

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #1,720 of 4,156
To clear up what i said, the tenor usb receiver is adaptive. But the DSP3 processing is probably async in nature. Two different things, but yea i guess you could say the DI on the whole is async. My bad, wasn't thinking straight earlier on

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #1,721 of 4,156

Quote:
Ah, well that's odd; I've never heard of anyone having a ground loop with the DI. I would email kingwa and ask for his advice.

Yeah it's strange, it's definatly coming through the usb cable since if i disconnect that it goes away. I contacted him yesterday but they probably don't answer emails on saturday and i can't blame them seeing how busy they are.

Mar 19, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #1,723 of 4,156
Does the tranport have to be async for the signal to be bit perfect? I thought that we only speak about bit perfect when the signal leaves computer (WASAPI, Kernel Streaming and other output methods).

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #1,724 of 4,156

Quote:
bitperfect refers to "the ability to output a digital data stream from an SPDIF port to a receiver (DAC) without experiencing any loss or degradation of the signal in the process."

its benefits are not limited to HDCD or DTS. its just as relevant in any 2-Channel system. HDCD and DTS are just the easiest ways to test if a signal is bitperfect.

Well then I suppose you're missing everyone's opinion that the digital interface is an improvement over most other spdif converters and is not causing people to "experience any loss or degradation of the signal in the process." I provided the HDCD and DTS examples because those are things that won't work with the DI because it isn't "bit perfect."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back