Audio-gd Digital Interface
Feb 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #1,501 of 4,156

It was installed by Audio-GD...It's the first time I use it.. I just plugged the coax cable in and the distorsion started...

I also tried another coax cable with the same result.

Denys

Quote:
Did you put the clock in the right way (dot should be on the RIGHT side if youre looking at it from front)? If you put it in the opposite direction the crystal oscillator will shatter.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #1,503 of 4,156
Ok this sounds bad. I ordered mine with the soldered on upgraded clock too and I will certainly be mad if they deliver to me a unit that is DOA having made me waited for so long.

Denys did they soldered it the wrong way?

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #1,504 of 4,156

Quote:
Ok this sounds bad. I ordered mine with the soldered on upgraded clock too and I will certainly be mad if they deliver to me a unit that is DOA having made me waited for so long.

Denys did they soldered it the wrong way?

I do not know yet.... I've tried different USB port and different coax cable. I only hear "scratches" and distorsion, and when I put back my M2Tech, everything is perfect. I contacted Kingwa, he asked me to verify a couple of things but the results are the same. He came back with something else that I will verify tonight although I have my doubts.

To make sure, I will also try the DI in my living room with another DAC and another coax cable and also another computer even though I do not need it there, but just to make sure I've tried any possibility....Then I'll see...

I'd like to avoid shipping it back to China because you encounter shipping fees plus duties plus the lost time going to the company to ship it back etc....

I just hope it won't take too long before it's resolved...

Denys

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,509 of 4,156
Update: this is what I wrote to Kingwa

Along with my testing, I found the following:
I use the DI with a laptop as my musical server. When I remove the power supply from the laptop, everything works fine.

Do you think that if I buy the power supply for the DI the distorsion could be avoided or it has nothing to do ??

It seems that the DI itself works fine but enters in conflict with the power supply.

Anyone here had that problem ?

Denys

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #1,510 of 4,156
Quote:
Update: this is what I wrote to Kingwa

Along with my testing, I found the following:
I use the DI with a laptop as my musical server. When I remove the power supply from the laptop, everything works fine.

Do you think that if I buy the power supply for the DI the distorsion could be avoided or it has nothing to do ??

It seems that the DI itself works fine but enters in conflict with the power supply.

Anyone here had that problem ?

Denys

Borrow from someone another rated PSU for your laptop and test again.
It could be that the laptop PSU is inducing noise into the USB power as well as inducing noise into the whole laptop.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #1,511 of 4,156
Just to let everyone know.....

The DI works fine..... I am just testing it now in my living room and it's perfect. Obviously, the problem comes from the laptop....

I'll try a couple of things here, but beside sayh's solution (which I will try, thank you), I might simply listen to music without the power supply as the battery is good for 6 hrs.....but it's not the best solution.

I also might keep the use of the M2Tech in my bedroom as there's no conflict and keep the DI in my living room...

I don't know yet...

Denys

P.S...I told Kingwa that the unit is fine...

20 minutes later...

Yep the problem really comes from the cheap laptop.....the DI stays in the living room and the M2Tech in the bedroom...... Even thinking of putting the REF5 in the living room and the MOTU in the bedroom.... I'll see

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #1,512 of 4,156
Same issue with my laptop supply. Really screwed up the sound until I unplug the supply and run on battery.
Built a music server with regular computer supply and no troubles plus great sound.
Uriah

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,515 of 4,156
It must vary from laptop tp laptop as I'm using my DI with an Asus netbook running on AC only out to a Havana DAC and it works beautifully. I removed the battery to preserve it as recommended by the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back