Audio-gd Digital Interface
Feb 15, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #1,456 of 4,156
@udailey

That was what I am currious about. I ordered version B and tought it may be something I miss over usb input. Thanks for comparasion between usb and coax inputs.
beerchug.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #1,458 of 4,156
I think I have to second Tim's opinion that the clock upgrade gives more immediacy, like the singers aren't trying to play hide and seek behind other instruments. I have always thought my dac9mk3 had a lingering decay and a little hazy high freq precision to it, so I upgraded from pmd-100 to dsp-1 module. I still noticed a little bit of fuzziness even though it did become more neutral, and suspected it was due to the psu of the dac9mk3 being different from the psu in the ref 1. But upsampling to 96khz with the new clock noticeably improves high freq presence, speed, maybe timbre, and adds smoothness and continuity. Violins really dance, many instruments sound fuller and more continuous, the energy in music seems captured, but I get the impression that it might be OVERALL a little more colored even though I think the high freqs are certainly more accurate and clear now.

This is with only 15 hours of burn in, but from what I think I hear, you may want to hold on purchasing a DI with the current clock, I think there's a good chance audio-gd will be giving the new clock the thumbs up.

One more strange observation :p, the first hour or two of use I couldn't help shake the feeling that I was getting a similar positioning as from a single-box mp3 player or something with transport and dac in the same box connected with I2S, namely immediacy of notes and firm instrument positioning. I have no idea what conclusion I should draw from this observation :p, right now I'm leaning to the theory that spdif needs a lot of touching up to compare to I2S, but I don't know enough to be sure.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #1,459 of 4,156
I just want to say "EMS is FAST!"
biggrin.gif
 (sorry, Edwin)  My DI was shipped on Feb. 11 from China and reveived today in NY. To someone in US who wants to buy DI from Audio gd, you can use EMS to save some shipping cost.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #1,461 of 4,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<Snip>

I have Coax from the computer and USB from the computer going to the same DI.

<snip>

More likely there is a slight volume difference between the three implementations. 

USG

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #1,462 of 4,156
So now volume and imaging are the same? Did you read my post? It wasnt about perceived sound quality as much as it was about imaging and instrument placement. 
Calibrated ECM8000 at listening position, test tone, DEQ2496 to tell me the dB level. Got it covered. However its hardly relevant since it is not the volume that seemed to matter here, it was the imaging/placement/precision of placement that mattered.
Uriah

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/U46oQGuzl_ZBnrRMS98ndLp-AhcJSuUnH3KCk0w1PKc?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/e73UQHzf9rjvR8eaSSNQO7p-AhcJSuUnH3KCk0w1PKc?feat=directlink

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #1,464 of 4,156

Quote:
So now volume and imaging are the same? Did you read my post? It wasnt about perceived sound quality as much as it was about imaging and instrument placement. 
Calibrated ECM8000 at listening position, test tone, DEQ2496 to tell me the dB level. Got it covered. However its hardly relevant since it is not the volume that seemed to matter here, it was the imaging/placement/precision of placement that mattered.
Uriah

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/U46oQGuzl_ZBnrRMS98ndLp-AhcJSuUnH3KCk0w1PKc?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/e73UQHzf9rjvR8eaSSNQO7p-AhcJSuUnH3KCk0w1PKc?feat=directlink

Don't get your panties in a bunch Uriah.  Volume level plays a very large role in instrument placement and imaging.  Even a slight increase in volume will influence the  sound stage simply because you will be able to hear more of what is there and the proximity cues of where it's coming from.  The better you hear the proximity cues, the better you can identify the placement.

It's the same old adage, "Louder Sounds Better".

USG

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,465 of 4,156
Hey head-fi I was considering getting this, but most of the music I listen to I can only find in 16-bit 44.1 khz so will the DI make an audible difference in these files? Or does the better sound only come out in higher res files? Thanks

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,470 of 4,156
Quote:
It plays 88.2, it just converts it. You can't hear any real difference anyway. 16/44.1 is 98% (maybe 100%) as good as 24/96 IMO. It's about how well the artist is recorded to begin with.

I do not believe the digital interface can even convert the 88.2khz, I think your computer is resampling it for output.Have you tried with bitperfect output like WASAPI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back