Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jan 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #1,291 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A-GD charges 17USD for shipping fees and the module cannot be found on ebay or digi-key.. I was thinking of purchasing a couple of modules and ship them to other head-fiers in North America in order to save on shipping fees.
Who would be interested in purchasing a TCXO module?

I would but Canada-US is still $14 using USPS.

It's cheaper to send from canbada to the US than vice-versa.
So far i have 2 head-fiers other than me interested in purchasing the clocks.
I'll write to Kingwa and find out if I can get a rebate on a batch of 5-10.

Please I'd like to know if others are interested. I would like to order before the end of this week.

What is that cost? And Kingwa usually sells these at cost.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #1,293 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:
I am sure we all know by now that upgrades/tweaks and their worth is different for everyone. 

Some people spend thousands for wire others see no need in spending anything over 50bucks. 

Fractional improvements are of different value to everyone.

Well this isn't a cable, it actually affects the sound with hardware, the question is how much. I can barely (read probably not at all) hear the difference with the upsampling enabled (or even the PSU) so I have some doubts about the clock. Still, $45 might be worth it to me.
Just wondering and would like Kingwa to chime in.

Yeah I would like Kingwa to chime in too, esp to my suggestion for the Tier line-up of his gear....hinting and hoping for a Digital Music Player.

Just go ahead and order the new clock, 9 times out of 10 you probably will anyways sooner or later.

I like how the TentLabs clock sounds in mine, albeit only one....I forgot all about the one under the DSP module.  Worth $45 Hmmmmm, well that depends.  I have heard cheaper tweaks give greater improvements and I have purchased more expensive tweaks/upgrades that gave less.  For me, sure why not, I'd do it again and even recommend it.  Coherent is the word, more of it.

FYI, I sold one DI with plans to replace it with a coax-in version....I will order it with the upgraded clocks if possible.  Sure would like if I could get it with a Wolfson Spdif instead of the DIR.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my main rig, just got some new Mono-Blocks and a AGD C-39 Pre will be in the mix too.  I've been auditioning non-computer based digital front ends lately. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,294 of 4,156
People talk about worth....I too think about that and the Grand-Scheme-of-Things ie the Big Picture over the long haul.  Mainly because looking back I realized that I have probably spent more than I would have liked, a few hundred dollars at a time.  Looking at all the Dac's I have purchased taking into account the few hundred here or there I have lost on resale I figure if I had waited 2-3 years to buy "one" really good Dac I could have purchased a Prism Morpheus or something in that range. 

Say for example you buy a DI plus the power supply plus a couple of good cables [usb and bnc], and new clocks.  That would run you close to $500 easy.  Just wait a little bit and put another $500 with it to purchase a Antelope Audio Master-reClock and a couple of cheap Blue Jeans cables.  The Antelope product would put an end to tweaking/upgrading, and end forever the thoughts of jitter.

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,295 of 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynobot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Say for example you buy a DI plus the power supply plus a couple of good cables [usb and bnc], and new clocks.  That would run you close to $500 easy.  Just wait a little bit and put another $500 with it to purchase a Antelope Audio Master-reClock and a couple of cheap Blue Jeans cables.  The Antelope product would put an end to tweaking/upgrading, and end forever the thoughts of jitter.

I disagree, a DI ($180) + PS ($75) + Clock ($23) + Shipping/Fees ($30) + Monoprice USB ($1) + BJC BNC ($20) = $329, barely halfway to $500. Also, I looked up that reclocker thing and it costs €1300, or about $1750. So the difference between a "fully upgraded" DI and the reclocker is about $1400... a tad expensive. I'd rather not argue about cables, I think most would consider Monoprice's USB cables to be of high quality, and bluejeanscable is extremely solid as well.

To me, the digital interface seems like great bang for your buck, seeing as the clock isn't necessary if not upsampling and the power supply is fairly optional. I just can't see losing enough money buying and selling gear to afford a $1750 reclocker. You also have to take into account diminishing returns with such a high level of jitter reduction with an expensive reclocker, is it really going to make a $1700 difference in sound, or would it have been better spent getting a $1700 DAC that already handles jitter like a pro?

Jan 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #1,296 of 4,156
Hmmmmmm, okay

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynobot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree, a DI ($180) + PS ($75) + Clock ($23) + Shipping/Fees ($30) + Monoprice USB ($1) + BJC BNC ($20) = $329, barely halfway to $500. Also, I looked up that reclocker thing and it costs €1300, or about $1750. So the difference between a "fully upgraded" DI and the reclocker is about $1400... a tad expensive. I'd rather not argue about cables, I think most would consider Monoprice's USB cables to be of high quality, and bluejeanscable is extremely solid as well.

To me, the digital interface seems like great bang for your buck, seeing as the clock isn't necessary if not upsampling and the power supply is fairly optional. I just can't see losing enough money buying and selling gear to afford a $1750 reclocker. You also have to take into account diminishing returns with such a high level of jitter reduction with an expensive reclocker, is it really going to make a $1700 difference in sound, or would it have been better spent getting a $1700 DAC that already handles jitter like a pro?

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #1,298 of 4,156
I agree, but I think their whole business plan is to NOT cater to the 1K and below crowd.  Case in point, the lower price AA Dac, they really have no interest in seeing themselves being compared to Benchmark et.al, they are in the Wiess and above league [in their minds] IMO of course.

$1K Antelope Audio Isochrone DA Reclocker ultra low jitter, to the point that it is zero.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #1,299 of 4,156
Alright guys. I received the ok from Kingwa.
He will send me a batch and I'll be able to ship them out to who ever is interested. I'll have 10 modules. So far I have 3 people interested.

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,301 of 4,156

Regarding the external power supply unit for the DI, you'll have to contact A-GD.
However, I can add that I don't think that it is a worthy upgrade unless you have very bad AC in your PC or laptop.
Many people have said that there is not much of a difference in terms of SQ by using the PSU with the DI.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #1,302 of 4,156
Yesterday i removed the DSP3 board to check out the XO underneath the DSP board.  I tried to remove it but cant seem to do so(must be soldered to the pcb,i think).  Also, the XO is rated at 24.576 like the upsampling stock XO.

Has anyone had success of removing this XO and replacing it with another like the Tentlabs XO?

Also, does anyone know if the software is upgradable for the DSP3 module, like the one done for the DSP1 upgrade to v.5?

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #1,303 of 4,156

Quote:

Also, does anyone know if the software is upgradable for the DSP3 module, like the one done for the DSP1 upgrade to v.5?

There are no flaws in the DSP3 software according to Kingwa. The DSP1 was another story though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back