Audio-gd Digital Interface
Dec 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,066 of 4,156

Quote:
Thanks Slim.A for that comparison with upsampling vs computer upsampling.  I always shied away from this product reading that upsampling was the optimum setting for this unit, when I cannot hear how upsampling improves the sound from using various software based upsamplers (Even the upsampling switch on the Bryston DAC changes the sound not for the better or worse, but I preferred no upsampling).  Its good to know that the upsampling on the DI is vastly superior to to any of these software upsamplers. 

The reason I post, is because I am also having an issue with the Tenor USB input on my Reference 7, that I thought I could post here as it seems members here are more experienced on the software side of things.  When I first got the Re7 the USB input worked fine on AISO via JR Media Center 14.  It only ever worked with ASIO once...after wards, the sound just keeps distorting and clipping and stuttering...I thought the USB input was faulty, but when I turned off ASIO and used direct sound...the sound was fine through the Tenor input.

I am using window XP and JR Media 14...The netbook was booted up ASIO worked.  The next time the netbook was booted up was to test the USB input...ASIO faltered.  Nothing else changed between those two timeframes.  I tried all the settings with buffers etc (all of them) and cannot get ASIO to output a clear sound into the Tenor Chip.  No such problems with ASIO and the 16/48 input on the Bryston at all - never ever did have any problems arise with the Brystons USB and ASIO.

Is ASIO really all that necessary? as I am getting a very clean sound out of Direct sound with all the volumes maxed out and no windows sound engaged as per the Benchmark media site.  I do have a desktop...but for whatever reason...the desktop recognises the Tenor input...but I can never get sound out of it, with ASIO posting that yellow error sign next to the Tenor output.  Should I forsake Windows XP and upgrade to Windows 7?

Now that I think about it I had the same problem with XP not recognizing my DAC-19 Tenor chip, which is the same chip as in the DI.
I couldn't play anything through it. Problem solved using win 7 with the DI, so I guess DAC-19 USB input should work also.
If you have a win 7 rig or don't mind upgrading to give it a try I suspect it would solve your issue.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #1,067 of 4,156
It seems like punk_guy was right, I now have more bass with the DI after more burn-in. The device seems to carry on improving.
I suppose that modified HiFace will easily be on its way for the For Sale section.

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #1,069 of 4,156
Yes. I am using it on Windows 7 64bit.

Some people have experienced some dropouts but instructions for addressing these are posted elsewhere on this thread.

Regards

Macrog

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #1,070 of 4,156

Quote:
slim.a, Thanks for the explanation on the XO replacement. From what you decribe, it would appear the stock XO is on the DSP module itself installed in a DIP8 socket. It can be seen easily when the top panel is opened. That should not be too difficult to replace then.

Many thanks Slim!  I will go ahead and get an XO, as I do use upsampling to 96k.  IMO and listening experience, i feel that the sound has better weight and focus when compared to pre-upsampled in my setup. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #1,071 of 4,156
Also want to point out if this hasnt been mentioned before, the DI + Class A EPS in SPDIF mode may be sensitive to the different types of transports.  The differences are subtle however, a better built transport does impart a slight difference to the sound.
I tested the use of 4 units as digital transports with the DI.

-  Marantz CD67SE : Had more noticable 'grain' to the sound, but the sound has more emphasis on midrange freqs.
-  Oppo 83SE :  Best out of the lot.  Nice clean, clear sound, no grain, glare or emphasis on the sound.
-  Pana BD30 :  Warm, probably too warm for my liking as it seems to dull the sound too much.  More emphasis toward upper bass and lower midrange.
-  11 year old cheap Sony dvd player ($100) :  Surprisingly good actually, probably more suitable toward hard rock, pop, techno mixes, but the sound was 'unrefined', overemphasis on bass and high freqs.

Just my findings..

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #1,072 of 4,156

Quote:

- About auto-upsampling only when needed : see the last sentence of this comment of the dude who developed the wasapi plugin :
 http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.php?p=2627914&postcount=30

- About Tenor drivers : I've installed them through the Teralink X2 (which uses Tenor chip) drivers package along with the Teralink ASIO drivers and it worked but not bitperfect exclusive mode as I could play other files with any other player in the same time, plus I could change volume everywhere etc.

- So I went with no specific drivers (only windows 7 auto installed drivers, provided by microsoft) and Kernel Streaming : only 16/44.1 FLAC files played, no mp3, no 24/96 files.

- I tried otachan ASIO plugin with ASIO4ALL, everything was fine, no auto-upsampling when needed so 88.2 files didn't play but that's not a big deal for me as I have few of them. The main issue which everybody experience with ASIO is that you have gaps between tracks so that bothered me a lot

- I searched WASAPI plugins for winamp : there is Maiko plugin but which doesn't work in exclusive mode, not implemented yet. There is also the adionsoft plugin which I'm now using and work flawlessly with no difference in sound with Kernel Streaming or ASIO with Winamp, or with WASAPI with foobar.

- I will for sure compare the jkeny HiFace and the DI when the DI will have enough burn-in, and I will sell the one I don't want to keep in the end.

A lot of good information.....
dt880smile.png

Quote:
I've tried foobar with WASAPI plugin and I can't play 88.2 files so no auto-upsampling only when needed with WASAPI plugin in foobar. So except if using SoX or something else to upsample, for me yes only adionsoft WASAPI plugin has "built-in" auto-upsampling. Otherwise, which algorithm is used for upsampling, I don't know. it's said to be "high quality" but I didn't take time to compare with add-on upsampling on foobar on 88.2 files as I only have few of them and don't listen to them a lot.

gapless mode : enabled or not in the otachan ASIO plugin control panel I have a short pause between tracks, so with long fade out songs that's not an issue but when listening to a live or records where the songs follow on that's like your computer has gone stuck for a second or if there was a intentionally added pause between tracks, that gets quickly annoying.

I don't know with the DI and XP as I've upgraded to 7 x64 quite recently but had no occasion to try it with XP so I don't know if it is recognized and auto-installed with microsoft generic drivers like it is with 7.

What do you mean "play in your network"? Your XP rigs don't see the 7 pc, or vice versa?

I'm to compare the DI and modified HiFace within the next few days, for now I will see how the Audio-gd power filter plant performs. I've also just ordered a DSP-1 V5 for testing. Too bad I couldn't get my V4 upgraded. It will certainly land in the for sale section here if somebody's interested. 

More really good stuff.  Thanks. 
dt880smile.png

The only folder I can access in the W7 laptop, from the XP work-group computers, is the public folder.

USG

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #1,073 of 4,156

Quote:
A lot of good information.....
dt880smile.png

More really good stuff.  Thanks. 
dt880smile.png

The only folder I can access in the W7 laptop, from the XP work-group computers, is the public folder.

USG

Thanks.

Do these with XP and the one with win 7 share the same workgroup name?
Did you give the access rights for the local folders of the 7 pc?
Check the sharing options of the Sharing tab on the volume/folder you want to access.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #1,074 of 4,156

Thanks.

Do these with XP and the one with win 7 share the same workgroup name?
Did you give the access rights for the local folders of the 7 pc?
Check the sharing options of the Sharing tab on the volume/folder you want to access.

<

Same workgroup, but XP can't join home groups....

I want to share the entire C folder... I'll check sharing options again but i'm pretty sure it's set to share. Not sure about access rights. Are they different from sharing options?

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #1,075 of 4,156
computer -> view -> untick "use simple file sharing". In C: volume properties -> security tab : choose the xp users to have read (and write if you want) access to the volume.

Maybe have also a glance at compmgmt.msc (use windows + R  on keyboard) -> shared folders.

Dec 5, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #1,077 of 4,156
This is a good review for those planning to use a PicoPSU to power their transport (motherboard) for audio purposes. The tests on ripple noise is interesting for various PicoPSUs and power bricks. I don't understand how the 19V power brick can have such high ripple noise but when plugged into the PicoPSU 120-WI-25 the ripple noise lowers a lot.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=207

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #1,078 of 4,156
seems like the 120-WI-25 has good filtering for all voltage lines.
thank for the link, i think i will switch from my 80W morex unit to a 120-WI-25
maybe that gets rid of some noise.

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #1,080 of 4,156
The Pico PSU's are awesome for creating a silent system.  I heard about them a long time ago but it hasn't been since the last few months that I have been seriously eyeing them for a music server.

If only I could silence my beast of a gaming rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back