Audio-gd Digital Interface
Nov 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #1,006 of 4,156

Quote:
This seems to be a too broad statement.  Drop-out is not normal and not acceptable.  Please don't make impression that it is normal for DI.  And I hope that you would find a cure eventually for DI is such a wonderful sounding device.

I don't disagree that the DI is a wonderful sounding device. It sounds better than the SPDIF out from my Yamaha DVD-S1800 for example. I regretted that I didn't buy the version A of the DI so I can route the DVD player output through it.

The drop out is Windows and computer chipset related. Some fellows here has pointed out that using Linux will completely get rid of the drop off. Also all my PCs are notebook so I don't know if desktop will do better because of less power management.

So I don't think my statement is too broad or critiziing. As least I have tried the DI on 5 notebooks running WinXP/VIsta/7 32/64 bits, including on my brand new HP4310s which I had reinstalled Windows 7 Pro 64 bits and with just Foobar2000 installed.

Computer as Source is always a compromise between convenience and quality. The total cost of my HP notebook + DI is more expensive than the Audio-gd CD7-FE. I do beleive the CD7-FE has much better SPDIF output but it can't play DVD audio.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #1,007 of 4,156

Quote:
Ha ha :)  This is so funny. I came to Head-Fi after finding it impossible to listen to Dave Matthews latest CD though DT-770 and my new Dell Win7 laptop.

Out of my 5 notebooks, the Dell Latitude D520 is the one having the most drop out. I bought it cheap for my wife to use at home but was also hoping to use the SPDIF out on its docking station (available on ebay for very cheap price). It just that I can't get either Windows XP/7 to recognize its SPDIF out.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #1,008 of 4,156
No hard feeling.  Just try to make balanced observation. 

I have never experience drop out (after fixing the bugs) using computer as source when I start to pick up HeadFi since 2009.  (Listened to traditional CD + speaker in the past).  I would never use computer as source if I ever experience constant drop out.

And I have used my lowly Acer AS 1410 (Win 7), office Dell dual-core desktop (Win XP), or my $5k number crunching gear Dell 8-core server (Win 7 64-bit, just for debugging).  None of them drop off when bugs are fixed.

On the opposite, even the 8-core 24G RAM machine with single USB connection to DI dropped out when the same old bug was not nailed down. 

So, my point was that if you did not get to solve the exact problem, other things do not matter much.  I do hope that I can answer what that exact problem is.  But now I can not reproduce the drop out.
biggrin.gif
redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The drop out is Windows and computer chipset related. Some fellows here has pointed out that using Linux will completely get rid of the drop off. Also all my PCs are notebook so I don't know if desktop will do better because of less power management.

So I don't thing my statement is too broad or critiziing. As least I have tried the DI on 5 notebooks running WinXP/VIsta/7 32/64 bits, including on my brand new HP4310s which I had reinstalled Windows 7 Pro 64 bits and with just Foobar2000 installed.

Computer as Source is always a compromise between convenience and quality. The total cost of my HP notebook + DI is more expensive than the Audio-gd CD7-FE. I do beleive the CD7-FE has much better SPDIF output but it can't play DVD audio.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #1,009 of 4,156

Quote:
You don't need to apply all the settings mentionned in the link you posted, you're not trying to break a benchmark world record.
Running Win XP if you have enough RAM should be fine (512MB min for basic office use, 1GB to 2GB for multimedia, 4 (3 recognized with xp 32) for heavy multitasking, usage of creativity softwares etc).
Check that you don't have bad memory (search memtest86+), that you don't have too many programs running and that your CPU is not under heavy load while you play music.
I would have said to run a hdd surface test but you have a SSD so...
Try ASIO with default buffer size, or KS plugin also.

Pacha,

I assure you I don't enjoy registry editing just for fun! ; )  It's a means to an end.

When I switched from the HRT MusicStreamer to the DI/ NFB1 I found that some more optimisations were necessary - not to attain some 'golden ear' standard but to be able to listen to music without interrruptions. The changes definitely helped, even though I'm not quite sure which ones were most effective! Now that I've got things pretty much sorted on that front I hope I will stop fiddling and leave well alone.

The improvement in sound quality has been well worth it, but I'm glad I started my computer audio experience with the HRT which just worked 'out of the box' without any PC tweaks.

Stuart

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #1,010 of 4,156

Quote:
Stuarth,

Getting nearly 2 hours without drop out is quite impressive already. I would settle for that myself.

Base on my experience of using 5 different notebooks (2005 IBM T43, 2007 IBM X61, 2007 Dell D520, 2008 Samsung NC10, 2009 HP Probook4310s) with the DI, the amount of drop outs is inverting proposional to the (1) level of power management capability of the chipset, and (2) number of built-in USB devices (web cam, bluetooth module, card reader, fingerprint scanner, etc) with the notebook.

With my 2005 IBM T43 running WinXP and ASIO, I only experience drop out during busy hard drive read/write of running other apps, or moving the notebook around physically. It is with the oldest Intel chipset, with only 2 USB ports, no webcam, no card reader, no fingerprint reader and no bluetooth module.... Too bad its hard drive died last week and I can't find any cheap PATA hard drive replacement.

I am actually quite tempted to buy a USB 3.0 express card to use with the DI, Because it will have proprietary windows drivers which most likely does not support power management, not connected to the USB hub of the motherboard chipset, and have no other USB devices to affect

I think the MB plays a big part in dropouts.  My old P4 Asus MB never once had a dropout running a PCI0404.  Then my Abit IP35pro had dropouts galore with WinXP,  a lot less with Win7.  I just ordered a PCIE USB board that has its own power plug,  hoping that is the answer.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #1,011 of 4,156
I would like to report back how much I enjoy DI.  Since my 2nd DI + PSU has just arrived, I brought back the one already burn-in home to pair with PSA DLIII.  And I was immensely blessed by DI.  It totally changed the sound of my home gear.

When I got T1 to mate with Phoenix and Ref-1, I realize my 2nd system has diffused and a little bit veiled sound in comparison. (I never realized that before comparison).  That prompted me to try out  CSP 2+ with Ref-1 and my conclusion was that I needed another Ref-7 so I can bring Ref-1 home to save my home system.

But now I brought back DI first (Ref-7 is still in transit), and I was surprised that the diffused and veiled problem is almost cured by DI already (now I wonder if I really need 2nd Ref1/7
tongue.gif
).  Compare to the USB input to DLIII, SPFID provided by DI has much better 3D soundstage definition. Before, the stage was wide but 2D-like and distant from me.  Now with DI the sound changed to be quite engaging but still open up to a larger and deeper stage.  The sonic profile of solo instrument was sharp, clear, and standing out with excellent contrast to the background/supporting music.  Each note has its full body and proper weight with nice sparkling and decay.  And the bass is full and impactful. This DI + DLIII + CSP2+ really push my Necleotide (ZX) recabled DT880/600 ohm to a pinnacle that I have never imagined.  This combo may not have the razor sharp resolution of T1 and clarity, but it strikes on the right balance between being sharp and too sharp to bleed.

I was quite surprised by the improvement brought in by DI + PSU.  Very happy about it.  Now I'll see what Ref-1/7 will bring in after this...

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #1,012 of 4,156

Quote:
I would like to report back how much I enjoy DI.  Since my 2nd DI + PSU has just arrived, I brought back the one already burn-in home to pair with PSA DLIII.  And I was immensely blessed by DI.  It totally changed the sound of my home gear.

When I got T1 to mate with Phoenix and Ref-1, I realize my 2nd system has diffused and a little bit veiled sound in comparison. (I never realized that before comparison).  That prompted me to try out  CSP 2+ with Ref-1 and my conclusion was that I needed another Ref-7 so I can bring Ref-1 home to save my home system.

But now I brought back DI first (Ref-7 is still in transit), and I was surprised that the diffused and veiled problem is almost cured by DI already (now I wonder if I really need 2nd Ref1/7
tongue.gif
).  Compare to the USB input to DLIII, SPFID provided by DI has much better 3D soundstage definition. Before, the stage was wide but 2D-like and distant from me.  Now with DI the sound changed to be quite engaging but still open up to a larger and deeper stage.  The sonic profile of solo instrument was sharp, clear, and standing out with excellent contrast to the background/supporting music.  Each note has its full body and proper weight with nice sparkling and decay.  And the bass is full and impactful. This DI + DLIII + CSP2+ really push my Necleotide (ZX) recabled DT880/600 ohm to a pinnacle that I have never imagined.  This combo may not have the razor sharp resolution of T1 and clarity, but it strikes on the right balance between being sharp and too sharp to bleed.

I was quite surprised by the improvement brought in by DI + PSU.  Very happy about it.  Now I'll see what Ref-1/7 will bring in after this...

Hi

I wonder if you could take a look at your Device manager and see how much power the DI draws.

Thanks

USG

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #1,015 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:

tongue.gif

Hi

I wonder if you could take a look at your Device manager and see how much power the DI draws.

Thanks

USG

Drawing 500mA

win7 x64

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #1,017 of 4,156
just wondering:

is there any reason someone who owns a high end soundcard, with proper coaxial out would want a DI?

I mean I can do oversampling, pass-through, up to 24/192, add digital effects like dolby...

Or is this only an alternative to a proper soundcard?

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #1,018 of 4,156

Quote:
just wondering:

is there any reason someone who owns a high end soundcard, with proper coaxial out would want a DI?

I mean I can do oversampling, pass-through, up to 24/192, add digital effects like dolby...

Or is this only an alternative to a proper soundcard?

You'd want a DI over anything else unless you'd want to spend a crap load of money.
If you're after great imaging and a neutral sound then this is what you need. It blows away in terms of SQ any soundcard that I used, the hiface and the hiface jkeny mod.
I don't need Dolby or any other phony gizmo feature so this is good for me.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #1,019 of 4,156

Quote:
You'd want a DI over anything else unless you'd want to spend a crap load of money.
If you're after great imaging and a neutral sound then this is what you need. It blows away in terms of SQ any soundcard that I used, the hiface and the hiface jkeny mod.
I don't need Dolby or any other phony gizmo feature so this is good for me.

Exactly.  I was hesitate spending more money on the transport after buying the expensive headphone, amp, and DAC.  I was only forced to by a USB/SPFID because Ref-1 only takes that. 

Then, I start to try USB/SPFID on my DLIII.  I always thought DLIII has blurred sound and hence plan to replace it with Ref-1 after I got Ref-7 for my primary system.  Boy! DI showed my how I was wrong about DLIII.  DI basically totally changed my desired to replace DLIII any time soon (although Ref-1 wouldn't hurt either
biggrin.gif
).  This makes me start to pay more attention on the transport side of equation.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #1,020 of 4,156
Have u all tried different USD cables with the DI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back