Audio-gd Digital Interface
Oct 14, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #826 of 4,156
For anyone that's ordered a DI from Audio-GD, how long did it take before build and ship from when the payment was made?

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #827 of 4,156
When I order last time, some components was out of stock. Then they promise to send like 20 days later. Then the sending date happen to be their National day and the shipping was further delayed. So took more than 1 month to reach me. Normally should be take 2 weeks to reach u

I heard the upsampling was quite good for the DI. Would love to try. How to set it to upsampling mode? Anyone can help?

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #830 of 4,156

Quote:

I heard the upsampling was quite good for the DI. Would love to try. How to set it to upsampling mode? Anyone can help?

I tried upsamping you can follow the pin guide from the audiogd web site, just click on the DSP for pin settings.  Alternatively he will likely send you jumpers that can be put into place instead of sliding the pins.

The pin settings are also shown in this thread.

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #831 of 4,156
Thanks for the response fengshenwee.  Out of curiosity of using a USB -> SPDIF device and trying high-res music, I bit the bullet and purchased one today.  This will replace my SB3 as a digital transport to the NorthStar DAC.  I am interested in hearing how it performs and if there are any improvements. 

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #832 of 4,156
lol since u already made the purchase, u will be able to find out yourself. I am comparing the DI with my Ref 8 optical in here. I find the DI makes the sound more natural, refined and deeper lows. But there are many variables here. Could be my optical cable not good enough. My usb cable and coaxial cable also affecting the results.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #833 of 4,156
Similar to you, I got an email saying that they don't have it in stock and won't be getting any till the 25th.  So I have a feeling that it will take a while before I get it.  Oh well, thats okay, I'm not in a rush anyways.  It'll just be interesting to play around with it and figure out what all this USB->SPDIF hoopla is about.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #834 of 4,156

Quote:
Similar to you, I got an email saying that they don't have it in stock and won't be getting any till the 25th.  So I have a feeling that it will take a while before I get it.  Oh well, thats okay, I'm not in a rush anyways.  It'll just be interesting to play around with it and figure out what all this USB->SPDIF hoopla is about.

Well its better than most onboad spdif/toslink's, and even most onboard sound cards(my onboard audio on my high end motherboard is no where near bit perfect for instance, it goes through some kind of software or hardware before spitting from the spdif).  Its simple to plug and play, and works on a standard driver that will be around long as computers exist on any platform.

Meaning it will be as easy to use in Linux as it is in Windows. 

Only real limitation is 88.2khz content which may or may not be important to you.   So the hooplah is that USb--->Spdif are clean transports, probably overpriced but most things in the audio world are.  This is tame in comparison
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #835 of 4,156
Well i've been using a SB3 as a transport so I never used a SPDIF from my MB or anything.  Oh well, I'm not in a rush and I don't have any hi-res music.  All my files are FLAC ripped from CDs.  oh well, guess we're both waiting a bit.

Oct 17, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #836 of 4,156

Quote:
Well i've been using a SB3 as a transport so I never used a SPDIF from my MB or anything.  Oh well, I'm not in a rush and I don't have any hi-res music.  All my files are FLAC ripped from CDs.  oh well, guess we're both waiting a bit.

Well the SB3 as a transport for all intents and purposes is supposed to be really good, supposedly it has low jitter and a good clock.  Even though its using a really inefficient ether interface.

Besides providing an interface which is nice especially if you have a headless computer.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #837 of 4,156

Quote:
Only real limitation is 88.2khz content which may or may not be important to you.   So the hooplah is that USb--->Spdif are clean transports, probably overpriced but most things in the audio world are.  This is tame in comparison
wink.gif

What does the 88.2 limitation mean?  Could you please explain?

Why do you say the DI is over priced?

USG

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #838 of 4,156

Quote:
What does the 88.2 limitation mean?  Could you please explain?

Why do you say the DI is over priced?

USG

the 88.2khz limitation is the only real fault with the unit(a problem with most tplug and play based converters due to the tenor chip).  Though its not really a fault for most since most of my music is either 44.1khz or 96khz, nothing really in between. 

I say most things are overpriced, but the DI is rather tame in comparison to other units with his more fair pricing.  You can buy a sound card like the Asus ST for a little more which has more features and it also acts as a fairly advanced digital transport.

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #839 of 4,156
Quote:

I paid on October the 6th and am waiting for my unit to arrive. I've been checking their consignment page every day!

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #840 of 4,156
Which version did you get jjinh?  I bought version B, I wonder if they have version A in stock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back