Audio-gd Digital Interface
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #766 of 4,156

Quote:

In comparison with what other interface?

Within this thread there are comparisons between the HiFace and the Taralink, I don't have either but I did compare it to my computers USB and HD Coax out and it is better.  Smoother more refined across the spectrum and better bass.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #770 of 4,156

Quote:
Bass is something that seems more apparent since introducing the DI- more palpable and .... just better. I can't be certain it's the DI but I don't remember this kind of depth and definition in my headphones or speakers which have not changed recently.

I agree! I reallly like how the bass sounds with the DI. It is a very natural bass that is very well defined and punchy without coloring the sound.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #772 of 4,156
has anyone connected the DI to Windows XP machine? Does kernel streaming work with foobar? If not, have you tried asio4all? I'm interested in getting it but i need this info
wink.gif
thanks
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #773 of 4,156

Quote:
Stello and Lindemann are awfully expensive. Modified HiFace and DI are a steal in comparison.

The Bel Canto is $500 (I got it used for $300) but it was one of only a few that did 24/96 without drivers at the time (but I did not like spending that much on a converter). Maybe the software was a lot of money for them but the hardware can't justify that price can it?
I think much of the Audio-gd gear can be described as a "steal in comparison".

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #774 of 4,156
Dynobot, is the background of the music blacker using the adum isolator and external PSU? So when you described as no lossess earlier between using the adum isolator and DI coaxial setup vs the straight usb or straight coaxial from the computer, do you mean the speed of the music is the same with the same natural flow?

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #775 of 4,156

Quote:
Dynobot, is the background of the music blacker using the adum isolator and external PSU? So when you described as no lossess earlier between using the adum isolator and DI coaxial setup vs the staright usb or straight coaxial from the computer, do you mean the speed of the music is the same with the same natural flow?

I compared back and forth many times with the Adum in place and without.

WIth the Adum in place on the DI it makes less of a difference than with the Adum in place going straight to the Dac, in fact I would say no difference at all.

With the Adum in place going straight to the Dac there is a considerable amount of haze lifted, vs USB straight to the Dac.

With the DI powered with a regulated/linear supply and USB going into it without the Adum there is just slightly more impact that the DI powered with the USB.

With the DI powered or not vs. straight coax, the DI is clearer and with more of a musical low end than without.

With the DI in place there is no loss at all in any regard vs. either straight USB or straight coax.  In fact there is only a gain in clarity and low end musicality, speed and transients are exceptional with the DI.  Tonal balance remains excellent only haze removed.  With the DI in place the Adum is really not needed. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #776 of 4,156
Well,I'm convinced.... Thanks to all the great posts in this thread, I think I now have all the information to give the DI a try. So once I finally receive my replacement stock HiFace it goes on the block......
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #780 of 4,156
Hi Dynobot,

I noticed that you are using Linux. Do you think linux sound better than win7? I am using win7 since hiface require a driver to run. But if I get DI, I don't need a driver anymore, so I might give linux a try :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back