Audio-gd Digital Interface
Jul 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #2,341 of 4,156
Thanks guys for the feedback.  Sounds like any improvement will be subtle.  I guess I'll just stick with what I have and save some $$... I'll be changing my source sometime in the next few months and it seems with improving USB implementations it may obviate the need for a good DI (ie. async USB w/ good filtering/jitter handling capabilities).   I'm not going away from internet streaming services - the quality is good enough and the ability to have 10M+ tracks at my immediate disposal is too much.  I've spent thousands on music in the past, not gonna continue to do it.

FWIW, years back I did a FLAC vs 320kbs vs. 256 (vbs) and thought I could distinguish between 320 and 256 but it was very very subtle.  The 320 was only on a handful of tracks and I couldn't tell if it might be placebo or not.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #2,342 of 4,156

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that - so does the DI have too high signal strength as it is?  (as per HiFace?)

I almost ordered from that parts distributor but they wanted to charge me $100+ for shipping...  An australian distributer it will have to be.

Anyway would this one be suitable?

I think it should work.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #2,343 of 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be changing my source sometime in the next few months and it seems with improving USB implementations it may obviate the need for a good DI (ie. async USB w/ good filtering/jitter handling capabilities).   I'm not going away from internet streaming services - the quality is good enough and the ability to have 10M+ tracks at my immediate disposal is too much.  I've spent thousands on music in the past, not gonna continue to do it.

FWIW, years back I did a FLAC vs 320kbs vs. 256 (vbs) and thought I could distinguish between 320 and 256 but it was very very subtle.  The 320 was only on a handful of tracks and I couldn't tell if it might be placebo or not.

Yes, if you're upgrading your source I recommend the DI because it will bring it to its full potential.

Please don't get stuck thinking that asynchronous > adaptive, because it always depends on the implementation. The DI is a very, very good implementation of adaptive that may match or exceed some asynchronous implementations. Example: The hiface is asynchronous USB, but the digital interface rolls all over it. A few tangible benefits of going asynchronous include the USB cable not mattering (as much?) and less/no dropouts but you're going to pay for it.

I did some ABX with foobar between flac, 320, and 256 and yeah the 320 and flac are pretty close -- closer than I remember. 256 is definitely inadequate for a high end system though.

Jul 19, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #2,344 of 4,156

Quote:

I'd like to know which DC cable you bought and where, please.

My DI get slight warm, but here in my country we are in the winter, and it rests on a marmore table.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with university and exams and it's really killing me >_>

I'm buying the cable that comes shipped with the teralink x-2 and PSU that IMHO is superior to the DI's one.
Although I don't think that it will make a great improvement.

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250846494890#ht_1422wt_821

However it is quite cheap, it may be worth a try.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #2,345 of 4,156
hmm shame its not shielded and a little shorter maybe.  I might have to DIY one - but in this application silver is a total waste - its a low voltage dc cable...

tried J.river media player - to me sounds a little darker/less bright than foobar 2k (both running WASAPI) but also less fatiguing.  

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #2,347 of 4,156
Aluminum foil is good for shielding, and grounding it would be even better. The greater distance from the conductors when you diy a foil shield vs having a shield inside the cable reduces the amount of emf reflected back to the conductors. Drawback is it's ugly and easily rips from handling :p.

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #2,348 of 4,156
Ordered it.

Now I have the USB Isolator too, and want to know if people are using it with the power supply. If so, which one?
 My Furutech GT2 have not reached my home yet.
 Overall I'm quite happy with the differences the Audio-GD DI brought to my system, let's see if it can be improved a little more after changing some cables...
beyersmile.png

Jul 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #2,349 of 4,156
Quote:
 Now I have the USB Isolator too, and want to know if people are using it with the power supply. If so, which one?
 My Furutech GT2 have not reached my home yet.
 Overall I'm quite happy with the differences the Audio-GD DI brought to my system, let's see if it can be improved a little more after changing some cables...
beyersmile.png

I use an Olimex isolator with the Audio-GD power supply.

The GT2 made a nice improvement in my system, certainly more noticeable than the Ultraviolet I had before.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #2,351 of 4,156

Quote:
I use an Olimex isolator with the Audio-GD power supply.

The GT2 made a nice improvement in my system, certainly more noticeable than the Ultraviolet I had before.

Thanks for the tip somestranger26.
 I changed the power supply of DI to the Olimex and the differences are amazing. Will show to some friends who don't believe in differences of this kind to see their reaction.
devil_face.gif

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2,352 of 4,156
Personally I find it hard enough flicking between the USB powered and power supply powered...  I wouldn't be able to discriminate then blind I'm pretty sure...

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2,354 of 4,156

Quote:
Quote:

Me too, but having the power supply connected to the isolator rather than DI inexplicably improves imaging and broadens the soundstage in my system.

I personally couldn't hear a difference.

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #2,355 of 4,156
It depends on a ungodly variety of factors guys... like:

how's the USB output of your computer like?
Is the usb power clean?
Are there ground loops?
Do you keep the DI near sources of interference?
How's the power in your house? Is it stable? Are you running through a power filter?
Is something connected to the power filter beside the audio equipment?

Really... you can't analyze the single cases... what you can do is just try and report your experience.

In ideal conditions like the usb power is very clean and stable, there are no audible ground loops, the DI is far from interferences... you'll notice almost no improvements with a PSU or a USB isolator or a good USB cable.

Change one of the aforementioned variables, and the equation explodes exponentially in a huge variety of cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back