Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Mar 1, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #256 of 471
One thing I would like to know about the future firmware.

There is no mention of custom options. After the future firmware update to SPDIF input I would like to have the clock input 50Ohm changed to 75Ohm like my DI20HE.

That would be awesome!

Mar 1, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #257 of 471
One thing I would like to know about the future firmware.

There is no mention of custom options. After the future firmware update to SPDIF input I would like to have the clock input 50Ohm changed to 75Ohm like my DI20HE.

That would be awesome!
A second input socket is 50 Ohm type, so it would be not ideal. But it is not a big deal to replace terminator resistor by yourself, such modification is required.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #259 of 471
A second input socket is 50 Ohm type, so it would be not ideal. But it is not a big deal to replace terminator resistor by yourself, such modification is required.
Not a big deal😅

For me it will be. I can not even solder a cable. I recall a user did change to 50Ohm resistor of DI20HE to 75Ohm.

Anyway I hope to see the custom option. Surface mounted resistor is a nightmare just the thought of desoldering

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #260 of 471
hopefully the upgrade will happen soon : (
I just tested SPDIF on DI20HE. I understand why it is still relevant now.

Sound is not as technical as USB but it sounds crispy, glowing, ember. Soundstage more visible vs USB. Like a tube effect or something. Card used:

Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge.

It reminds me of XLR vs ACSS. SPDIF is for the purist sound, I like it!

DI24HE is going to be wild Im excited.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #262 of 471
The effect of DI20HE:

Interesting test today on a fully custom made server, network switch, fmc. Whole system besides DAC/AMP/Speakers is custom made. No DIY

The setup is complicated to explain the whole chain, but it was a lot of effort and thought behind it.

All of us 3 preferred the R1N/DI20HE over the R8H2/DI20HE.

We were also debating about the need for DI20HE in the system, but the room did not have the perfect treatment, however DI20HE did add its separations between notes.

-----

But that was just a speaker test. On headphones it is completely different game. You can have the R8H2 with a good source without the DI20HE, but for headphones, especially HE400SE it shows its ability of moving the sound a little out of the head and gives this speaker feeling. With a more technical headphone like Susvara other positive things comes out.

The improvement it does to R1N makes me realize how much it might "bottlenecks" the R8H2, which does sound amazing without DI20HE, however the 3D effect and instrument placement, becomes more concentrated and dense with the DI20HE, because it adds more warmth/analog texture. R8H2 already has good analog warmth/weight. I hope the DI24HE does not add the same analog warmth the DI20HE adds....when it comes to speakers. For headphones I love the DI20HE still for for the R8H2

-----
(Speakers.)
Even though we liked the R1N/DI20HE better we continued and experimented with the R8H2. This DAC is not a simple plug and play DAC. If DI24HE can improve the R8H2 like the DI20HE does to R1N....because we were heading to the same assumption that the REG PSU in the R8H2, was dominating/locking the sonics, even though DI20HE still added some sweetness, it was not the same degree of improvement vs R1N.

----

More DI24HE impressions here on the thread is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :) Hopefully I can get one soon...

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #264 of 471
@OCC7N the di24he sure removes some warmth. On headphones,. It makes sound less forgiving. But on my speakers, there is a clear benefit and I still listen to old stuff that is very hard to get right without issues.
Thanks! - Does it soften up the sound, like less concentrated/weight?

I really hope it is the perfect match for R8H2. After the experience with R1N my impressions on DI20HE changed alot.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #268 of 471
the new Geshelli Dayzee dac. it's their first full sized component. I already put a deposit down for one with a custom walnut case and red led-ring buttons and red transparent panel in the lid. yes I bought it for looks :D it has a big screen on the front too

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #269 of 471
An interesting read. Thanks.

I currently have a modded DI20HE.
It cost me US$550 used, which I added US$375 of mods.

Although a DI24HE would be nice, the cost to upgrade is significant.
Approx US$1350 landed including tax.
So, I'm happy with what I've got.

A plug for a Mad Scientist Black Magic Gold USB cable.
Had my MS Black Magic Ultra USB upgraded to Gold, which arrived back a couple of days ago.
So far, a noticeable improvement.

What external clock are people suggesting?
I tried an LHY Ock-1, which was a disaster.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #270 of 471
An interesting read. Thanks.

I currently have a modded DI20HE.
It cost me US$550 used, which I added US$375 of mods.

Although a DI24HE would be nice, the cost to upgrade is significant.
Approx US$1350 landed including tax.
So, I'm happy with what I've got.

A plug for a Mad Scientist Black Magic Gold USB cable.
Had my MS Black Magic Ultra USB upgraded to Gold, which arrived back a couple of days ago.
So far, a noticeable improvement.

What external clock are people suggesting?
I tried an LHY Ock-1, which was a disaster.
Did you give it a burn-in? What sort of mods?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back