Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Feb 24, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #242 of 485
So it's channel inversion, not a phase inversion, am I right?
Three units:

DI20 non HE 2019/2020
DI20HE from 2019/2020
DI20HE from late 2022

When these units turns on. The channels....Left and Right inverts/swap. It happens randomly, not every time

---

Nothing to do how it is powered on. However I do as recommended. Starting from Source then DI20HE then DAC then AMP. Opposite way when turning off

I have actually not tried source after DI20HE. That I will try. Thanks! -- even though my friend say he did that :sweat_smile:

---

I have not tried 24/7. I asked my friend and he says that it does not swap when it is on all day all year.

I am sure this is in the bootsequence of no matter which DI20/HE. The problem is fixed with leaving it on 24/7

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #243 of 485
Do you see improvements after adding external clock? While Gustard is reported to not benefit from external clock, I don't trust what is said on a Gustard section, it would be worth to hear first hand opinion.

Pairing DI-20/24 is not ideal, as Gustard do not support DSD autodetect, in result will not play DSD over I2S. However if you do not play DSD, DI-20HE is for now better option. Till a new firmware unlock S/PDIF port.
Yes absolutely. I find that the Afterdark master clock makes the gustard more refined, with a cleaner and richer sound in detail. They are subtle but noticeable improvements

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #244 of 485
Yes absolutely. I find that the Afterdark master clock makes the gustard more refined, with a cleaner and richer sound in detail. They are subtle but noticeable improvements
A feeling that music is more real.

With the he7 mkii, the sound has more staging depth. Like a flat plane of instruments in comparison with the internal. Still excellent technically, even smoother on the internal.

Also, the reverberations are almost not there on the internal in comparison. Bass has also better definition. Both are very enjoyable but the external makes the sound more real.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #245 of 485
Three units:

DI20 non HE 2019/2020
DI20HE from 2019/2020
DI20HE from late 2022

When these units turns on. The channels....Left and Right inverts/swap. It happens randomly, not every time

---

Nothing to do how it is powered on. However I do as recommended. Starting from Source then DI20HE then DAC then AMP. Opposite way when turning off

I have actually not tried source after DI20HE. That I will try. Thanks! -- even though my friend say he did that :sweat_smile:

---

I have not tried 24/7. I asked my friend and he says that it does not swap when it is on all day all year.

I am sure this is in the bootsequence of no matter which DI20/HE. The problem is fixed with leaving it on 24/7
I am on Linux. Could be os-related.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #246 of 485
I remember when reading implementation of Texas Instrument isolator chip which is present in DI-20, there was a note about power-on initialisation sequence with a warning that on some condition output level(s) could reversed, but do not remember details. You can pass this suggestion to Kingwa anyway, it could be a case.

Other than on the isolator (tricky part, as it has to pass DC over a barrier) it is difficult to get reversed polarity in a DC-coupled circuits.

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #247 of 485
Regarding Linux, Native DSD, grins about magic buttons.
Here is AudioGD's answer.
According to the description on the official website, it can be applied to our products, but in reality, software updates are needed to determine if it is compatible with your system.

You can choose this firmware to update: cpld_1082 and firmware_2006be15r2

It is the Linux-compatible firmware of Amanero.

Best regards.
But I wouldn't recommend following these instructions.
Firstly, in order to gain access to these firmwares you need to know the magic word :) which is entered in the OEMID field: nativedsd
Secondly, CPLD_1082 is incompatible with amanero from AudioGD, which results in slower tracks with 24bit resolution.
For this CPLD, I would recommend setting 1081_DSDSWAPPED (otherwise the DSD channels will be inverted)
Next, to get rid of the click when switching DSD/PCM tracks, I would install version R6 or even R7.

And so the firmware recipe is as follows: Download oemtool118, at startup enter OEMID: nativedsd Next, turn off the device, press the firmware clear button on the back wall of the device for two seconds. Then we turn on and flash CPLD_1081_DSDSWAPPED, then turn off the device, turn on and flash the CPU - firmware_2006be15r6 (r7) as desired.

After inspecting the traffic from the native AudioGD application for the Amanero firmware, it became clear that the required firmware, which was previously available, was simply removed on the Amanero server in Italy.

Therefore, now all AudioGD owners will have to flash their Amanero modules using a common utility - oemtool118u (Configtool).
Of course, this should only be done if your operating system is not Windows and you are interested in the DSD format.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #248 of 485
A feeling that music is more real.

With the he7 mkii, the sound has more staging depth. Like a flat plane of instruments in comparison with the internal. Still excellent technically, even smoother on the internal.

Also, the reverberations are almost not there on the internal in comparison. Bass has also better definition. Both are very enjoyable but the external makes the sound more real.
The differences are subtle with te gustard r26; but when i exclude the Afterdark ( queen 50 ohm square wave two outputs) it’s as if something is missing from the sound. It’not psycho acoustics.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #250 of 485
Hi there's just want to ask, recently I have bought R-28 2022, Ive tried the r28 with DI-20he which obviously sounds fantastic, how does the r28 sounds with the di-24he?

Im running speakers and headphones (Precision 3 power amp).

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #251 of 485
Hi there's just want to ask, recently I have bought R-28 2022, Ive tried the r28 with DI-20he which obviously sounds fantastic, how does the r28 sounds with the di-24he?

Im running speakers and headphones (Precision 3 power amp).
Presumably a minor upgrade. You'll have to ask audio-gd. Nobody tried this combination AFAIK.

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #253 of 485
I remember when reading implementation of Texas Instrument isolator chip which is present in DI-20, there was a note about power-on initialisation sequence with a warning that on some condition output level(s) could reversed, but do not remember details. You can pass this suggestion to Kingwa anyway, it could be a case.

Other than on the isolator (tricky part, as it has to pass DC over a barrier) it is difficult to get reversed polarity in a DC-coupled circuits.
I assume Kingwa has solved this.

With DI20HE it only takes three power cycles to make it swap. So if the DI24HE does not swap after 5 powercycles, I will strongly assume it has been resolved.

--

I would really appreciate a DI24HE owner making this test to verify. I never leave 20Watts/DI20HE on all the time.

1. Turn off DI24HE everytime after use.
2. Turn on the next day when use
3. For 5-10 days.
4. Test video

If the channels has not been swapped, it has been resolved.

I asked Magna, and they confirmed after testing that 24HE does not have this issue, with further testing.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #254 of 485
I would really appreciate a DI24HE owner making this test to verify. I never leave 20Watts/DI20HE on all the time.

1. Turn off DI24HE everytime after use.
2. Turn on the next day when use
Start playing a music before turning DDC on (or in the same time if stops with error). It will likely trigger swapping more frequently.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #255 of 485
Start playing a music before turning DDC on (or in the same time if stops with error). It will likely trigger swapping more frequently.
So far I have done two starts with the DI20HE first, then source, and it seems fine....if the third one swaps then it has a pattern. DI24HE should not have this problem, I edited the previous post, I got magna to test it, and they confirm no issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back