Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Jan 17, 2024 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 471

FredA

Headphoneus Supremus
IMG_20240115_103505.jpg

Originally posted on the di20/he thread on Jan 15 2024

Got the DI24HE this morning. Up and running it is.

First impressions

1. Less warm
2. A bit more definition
3. A more energetic presentation

So far so good. One wll not have to re-tune his system because the difference is quite small so far. The most noticeable is the sound being more lively. Of course, much burn-in is needed.

Couple of notes

1. The case has less depth (32cm instead of 34)
2. The selection button directly switches between the internal and external clock when the display is in normal state (not in the settings state). The corresponding first setting's digit will not blink when selected. This can be confusing.
3. The case has similar material but with finer brushed finish, so it looks of better quality. The finish also has very nice uniformity. Nice little unit (not so little)

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 471
First….

I can not wait to compare both DI.

How is it going?

EDIT: How is the menu by the way compared to old system?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 471
A bit too soon but i seems like the di24he will have more clarity and less warmth. A cleaner sound. The highs are as smooth. Maybe even smoother. i like it so far.

what do you think about the "thickness" of the sound, the textures and the three-dimensionality of the sound image?

Last question for tonight, which I2s cable do you use from DDC to DAC?

In this comparation do you have the 10Hhz external masterclock connected?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 471
Thickness/fullness is good. Staging has better depth but less width. Lacks much burn-in, things will change.

I use a Tubulus Concentus i2s. All comparison with both DI and DAC clocked by an Afterdark top clock

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 471
I would say the di24he has reached the level of the di20he after 380h (300h done at the factory) Staging has improved and the sound got fuller. Still not as big a stage or as much warmth but more of both. Better resolution, still. Better PRaT. Very enjoyable. Better staging depth.

There is still more to come. Audio-gd says another 220h is needed.

Jan 18, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 471
I would say the di24he has reached the level of the di20he after 380h (300h done at the factory) Staging has improved and the sound got fuller. Still not as big a stage or as much warmth but more of both. Better resolution, still. Better PRaT. Very enjoyable. Better staging depth.

There is still more to come. Audio-gd says another 220h is needed.
good news

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 471
I wish Kingwa had developed easy software to update firmware like Denafrips/Rockna. AGD updating steps are quite tricky.

Anyway, keep us posted Fred! I can't wait to hear your final impression. Let's see how DI24 can go from DI20!

Glad to see you move from Afterdark I2S (red) to Concentus. any thought?

Jan 20, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 471
I had an Afterdark (cheaper one) on for some time but did not like it so much. Then I had the AVPlay. Then the Audiolund, too warm, so back to the avplay. Then the Gustard for quite a while, which i prefered to AVPlay because still good technically and more organic. And then Concentus. Still organic, but adds layers to the sound. It is schockingly good.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 471
I ordered mine and asked for two weeks extra burn in at audio-gd. So 300 hours plus 300 or so over two weeks= 600. I'm expecting it to sound good after one more week of burn in in my home.

Jan 22, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 471
I ordered mine and asked for two weeks extra burn in at audio-gd. So 300 hours plus 300 or so over two weeks= 600. I'm expecting it to sound good after one more week of burn in in my home.
Good idea because things start to be seriously good at around 450h, after a real ordinary 48h. Last night, there was a moment around 11pm when I thought I had never heard better sound in my room. The background got blacker then ever. Bass was visceral. Today, the unit has been not quite as good but about at the level of the di20he. Or a bit better. The best is still to come. :)

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 471
Good idea because things start to be seriously good at around 450h, after a real ordinary 48h. Last night, there was a moment around 11pm when I thought I had never heard better sound in my room. The background got blacker then ever. Bass was visceral. Today, the unit has been not quite as good but about at the level of the di20he. Or a bit better. The best is still to come. :)

Those night times are the most “illusional” hours. When the town is at sleep I always have the best sound.

Im seriously thinking about off-grid = 24/7 of pure power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back