Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #406 of 485
I haven't really looked into what the master clock connections are for on the DI24HE. It was purely brought to add spdif output to my Antipodes audio EX player and does a great job going into the M Scaler/ Dave. GoldenSound highly rated the spdif output on the older version DI20HE as being one of the cleanest signal he had tested.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #407 of 485
I have a bit of difficulty understanding whether a master clock is really necessary in the UIP AUDIO LHY or similar
Preference, I know one who likes it better without masterclock

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #408 of 485
You could do that yes. Would be OTT of course. As noted above the UIP is probably more of a competitor to the DI-24HE but could absolutely be used to hand it a pristine USB stream on a platter. I actually used two USB dongle form factor USB isolators in series ahead of the UIP including a Holo Titanis, quite audible, cumulative despite the UIP's latest gen isolation chip.
Old type isolators should not be used in the USB chain. Did you try UIP with U18? It would give better answer to the OP question.

The biggest improvement from a new generation isolators is expected with DACs which have USB ports not isolated like Gustard R26, Denafrips Ares/Enio. It is obvious. Pontus has isolated port, but it is reported that UIP also brings improvement. The same is expected with all current Audio GD DACs and DI models.

However there is a question whether UIP is justified for these devices which have already isolated USB port. In this case a difference between UIP and ordinary $40 dongles (which just started to appear on Aliexpress) may be very small. For the Audio GD owners (DACs & DDCs) I would suggest a version with a hub that raises a cost by $10 but provides regeneration of frames and has a connector for the external PSU. There are transparent to the USB protocol and a delay is minimal which allows to put two or three in a chain when using external power.

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #410 of 485
Just an update on this for those that are interested - I ended up getting one of these LHY UIP USB isolators/regenerators, after considering other cheaper devices with the latest gen USB isolator chips over a few interesting exchanges with @sajunky over on the Douk U2 Pro thread in recent weeks. Delivered yesterday.

Might've been a bit extravagant but I'm glad I did as it is, when externally clocked by the Ock-2, exceptional. Brings my system greater tonal density/saturation, refinement, cleaner background, dynamic scale and impact - a 360° uplift. The UIP (USB > USB) blows away an externally clocked U18 DDC (USB > I2S), just not in the same class and with just 24 hours of burn in has - I think I can safely say - vaulted past my previously undefeated champ - the R26's internal HQP NAA renderer fed by a pretty OTT/OCD network chain. This with stock power cable for the UIP.

I appreciate that better clocking at this upstream step only means a more precisely timed asynchronous USB data stream (cleaner square waves / eye pattern etx) for my DAC to receive. Analogous I guess to external reclocking an Etherregen and its TCP/IP packet flow.

Be that as it may, gee what an effect better clocking has with this unit - it more than doubles the UIP's effect and is a noticeably greater delta than external clocking my DAC or the U18, and with a less fancy clock cable too (Gustard C2 to UIP vs Harmonic Tech DC III to DAC). Similar observations over on the CenGrand DAC thread re this combo.

Early days but thought I'd share this - we live in a cool age of access to high quality gear becoming increasingly democraticised. I reckon this LHY unit is another piece of such gear.

OT ends /

Someone should try one feeding a DI-20/24HE, I'd wager it'll be quite something.
What kind of computer/streamer do you use?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #412 of 485
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #415 of 485
no, the one integrated into the streamer
Do that before masterclock or reclocker...the difference is noticeable. Also your DI24HE will love this I am sure.

Apr 3, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #418 of 485
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #420 of 485

Users who are viewing this thread

Back