Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Apr 1, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #391 of 478
I did this.

0. Unplugged all cables, unplugged the power cord from the power strip and let it discharge
1. Connected the power cable and blaster usb
2. Started the software
3. Turned on the DI
4. Choose the blaster in the drop down menu
5. Chose the latest firmware file
6. Clicked start.
7. Turned of the DI after completion
8. Unplugged the blaster unit

Seems to have fixed the SPDIF issue when it is shut off or restarting the computer. No noise.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #392 of 478
Is something not right because after the Firmware update I have successfully completed to get spdif output working I have to select 50 ohm output where before the update 75 ohm was fine which is what it should be?

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #393 of 478
I updated the firmware again with power on and off when connecting blaster. Now when I use the spdif output it will only work selecting option 5 for the 50 ohm. If I select option 7 for 75 ohm just get a humming noise?
Report this to audio-gd. To be clear, no hot connection/disconnecrion should be done.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #394 of 478
Is something not right because after the Firmware update I have successfully completed to get spdif output working I have to select 50 ohm output where before the update 75 ohm was fine which is what it should be?
It could be a bug. Try to revert to the old fw to make sure all is fine with the hw. Attached to this message.

Attachments

• DI-24.zip
    32.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #395 of 478
Wrong thread

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #396 of 478
Report this to audio-gd. To be clear, no hot connection/disconnecrion should be done.
Problem solved after reflash the FW.

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #397 of 478
I was told the BNC 75 ohm output is to connect to external clock and will not work if directly connect to a BNC source input without clock is that correct?

Apr 1, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #398 of 478
Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers>"pick the USB device and right click">uninstall driver
repeat above with the last command with update driver>browse my computer for drivers

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #401 of 478
I wrote about the same time last year that I expected number of USB isolators in the price range $40-$50 based on chips AD ADIUM3165 or TI ISOUSB211. These chips have entered serial production during last year and now are available in retail distributors online stores like Mouser or Digikey.

The previous generations chips were only USB 1.1 compatible, limiting sample rate to 96kHz, while most of current DACs expect to transparently pass asynchronous UAC 2.0 compatible protocol. Some companies have developed their own USB solutions, but suffered compatibility problems, it is why I recommended to not use USB isolators, especially with Audio GD products. The best one was from Intona, but with cost ~$500, while one could buy DI-20 at the same price.

It is how it worked so far. The LHY isolator is the first device on the market using ADIUM3165 chip, however with a price in the DI-24 range it is rather intended to replace DDC than complement it. However I think it can compete well against Intona.

Instead of rushing for LHY isolator I would rather wait next few months to get inexpensive isolators for a fair price maximum $50, as features like OCXO oscilator are completely useless for USB transfers. I would also chose solution based on the TI chip, as the previous generation Texas Instrument chips sounded better. And chain it to USB input of DI-24HE - thats a tip.
:)
Just an update on this for those that are interested - I ended up getting one of these LHY UIP USB isolators/regenerators, after considering other cheaper devices with the latest gen USB isolator chips over a few interesting exchanges with @sajunky over on the Douk U2 Pro thread in recent weeks. Delivered yesterday.

Might've been a bit extravagant but I'm glad I did as it is, when externally clocked by the Ock-2, exceptional. Brings my system greater tonal density/saturation, refinement, cleaner background, dynamic scale and impact - a 360° uplift. The UIP (USB > USB) blows away an externally clocked U18 DDC (USB > I2S), just not in the same class and with just 24 hours of burn in has - I think I can safely say - vaulted past my previously undefeated champ - the R26's internal HQP NAA renderer fed by a pretty OTT/OCD network chain. This with stock power cable for the UIP.

I appreciate that better clocking at this upstream step only means a more precisely timed asynchronous USB data stream (cleaner square waves / eye pattern etx) for my DAC to receive. Analogous I guess to external reclocking an Etherregen and its TCP/IP packet flow.

Be that as it may, gee what an effect better clocking has with this unit - it more than doubles the UIP's effect and is a noticeably greater delta than external clocking my DAC or the U18, and with a less fancy clock cable too (Gustard C2 to UIP vs Harmonic Tech DC III to DAC). Similar observations over on the CenGrand DAC thread re this combo.

Early days but thought I'd share this - we live in a cool age of access to high quality gear becoming increasingly democraticised. I reckon this LHY unit is another piece of such gear.

OT ends /

Someone should try one feeding a DI-20/24HE, I'd wager it'll be quite something.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #402 of 478
Just an update on this for those that are interested - I ended up getting one of these LHY UIP USB isolators/regenerators, after considering other cheaper devices with the latest gen USB isolator chips over a few interesting exchanges with @sajunky over on the Douk U2 Pro thread in recent weeks. Delivered yesterday.

Might've been a bit extravagant but I'm glad I did as it is, when externally clocked by the Ock-2, exceptional. Brings my system greater tonal density/saturation, refinement, cleaner background, dynamic scale and impact - a 360° uplift. The UIP (USB > USB) blows away an externally clocked U18 DDC (USB > I2S), just not in the same class and with just 24 hours of burn in has - I think I can safely say - vaulted past my previously undefeated champ - the R26's internal HQP NAA renderer fed by a pretty OTT/OCD network chain. This with stock power cable for the UIP.

I appreciate that better clocking at this upstream step only means a more precisely timed asynchronous USB data stream (cleaner square waves / eye pattern etx) for my DAC to receive. Analogous I guess to external reclocking an Etherregen and its TCP/IP packet flow.

Be that as it may, gee what an effect better clocking has with this unit - it more than doubles the UIP's effect and is a noticeably greater delta than external clocking my DAC or the U18, and with a less fancy clock cable too (Gustard C2 to UIP vs Harmonic Tech DC III to DAC). Similar observations over on the CenGrand DAC thread re this combo.

Early days but thought I'd share this - we live in a cool age of access to high quality gear becoming increasingly democraticised. I reckon this LHY unit is another piece of such gear.

OT ends /

Someone should try one feeding a DI-20/24HE, I'd wager it'll be quite something.
So if one has the DI24HE and then was to buy the LHY UIP do you then just connect clock output from DI24HE to clock in on the LHY UIP to get improvements with USB connection?

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #403 of 478
So if one has the DI24HE and then was to buy the LHY UIP do you then just connect clock output from DI24HE to clock in on the LHY UIP to get improvements with USB connection?
You could do that yes. Would be OTT of course. As noted above the UIP is probably more of a competitor to the DI-24HE but could absolutely be used to hand it a pristine USB stream on a platter. I actually used two USB dongle form factor USB isolators in series ahead of the UIP including a Holo Titanis, quite audible, cumulative despite the UIP's latest gen isolation chip.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #404 of 478
But they are different as in the DI24HE does not do USB out that is why I asked as I am not familiar with reclocking I have never tried it or needed to but I am looking for a good USB reclocker like the Phoenix USB but if there is a cheaper alternative that can get somewhere near then I will give it a try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back