Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #196 of 549
I made a small change to my setup. I had been feeding the repeated ext clock signal out of the di24he to my streamer for a long while, almost from the beginning. This morning, I decided to use the unused output of my Afterdark Trifecta Eva clock. Sound is more fluid and smoother. And staging has taken a notch. This was predictable since jitter can only increase with the signal going through the 24. And it is likely that noise is already ultra-low at the output of the Afterdark.

In my setup, the di24he clock outputs will come in handy if I get an external clocked switch. In the mean time, I won't use it.
Good observation. I think main purpose of a clock output is to synchronise upstream devices like CD transport on a S/PDIF type of connection, not a downstream DAC. It makes sure that incoming stream has the same frequency, so there will be no buffer under/overruns, in such case there is no need to use PLL after decoding S/PDIF signal. It is the most important part. The actual timing of reclocking is enforced by a clock on a DDC (or external input) in this case.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #197 of 549
After 1h, things are even better (cables you move need to settle down). Bottom line is, the best thing is to synch the ddc directly out of the clock if you own an excellent master clock, like I do. This makes the upgrade from the di20he even more significant.

So at the moment, coming from the di20he, overall, we are talking one and a half to two notches, on my personal scale (whatever that means :) ) . This morning, I would say that the warm character of the di20he is 80% there. So not such a big difference with this regard and overall tonality.

For those after the best possible sound with a top-class all-audio-gd setup, the di24he is well worth it.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #199 of 549
This is exactly the level of maturity I've come to expect around here, which explains why I rarely come here. You guys have a good one.
Dayum! no one can take joke these days.

Don´t leave, if you really got offended I can censor what I wrote

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #201 of 549
Edit: I have an Audio-gd R-8 MK3 DAC and an AES cable coming by next week at the latest, at which point I can verify the DI24 is fully functional.
Did you order a decent I2S cable as well? You get the best sound quality with R-8 when connecting to DI-24 with I2S. S/PDIF becomes less important in this case, but worth checking anyway.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #202 of 549
Did you order a decent I2S cable as well? You get the best sound quality with R-8 when connecting to DI-24 with I2S. S/PDIF becomes less important in this case, but worth checking anyway.
That suddenly reminds me of the issue I was having.

It was a steady static sound and it was from the avplay i2s cable becoming slightly loose over time.

I testing these pen blanks to hold up the wire so it relieves some pressure on the connector.

20240220_180917.JPG

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #203 of 549
That suddenly reminds me of the issue I was having.

It was a steady static sound and it was from the avplay i2s cable becoming slightly loose over time.

I testing these pen blanks to hold up the wire so it relieves some pressure on the connector.

20240220_180917.JPG
Does the gold XLR cap "sound" different from the rhodium ? I have rhodium caps sitting somewhere , was wondering if there any difference b/c of plating ?

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #205 of 549
Does the gold XLR cap "sound" different from the rhodium ? I have rhodium caps sitting somewhere , was wondering if there any difference b/c of plating ?
Not sure to be honest. If there is a difference between the gold and rhodium I'm not able to tell by ear.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #206 of 549
There is one thing to be aware of though.

With the rca caps, you have to remove the center pin. The outputs on the dac are all active at the same time, so if you leave the center pin in, it will degrade the sound.

Without the center pin it just acts like a ground and shield.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #207 of 549
There is one thing to be aware of though.

With the rca caps, you have to remove the center pin. The outputs on the dac are all active at the same time, so if you leave the center pin in, it will degrade the sound.

Without the center pin it just acts like a ground and shield.
They can be bought without. You applyi the shorting ones to inputs.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #210 of 549
They can be bought without. You applyi the shorting ones to inputs.
The rca caps I have, the center pin unscrews and can be removed.

I would only leave the center pin on inputs or outputs that are off when not in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back