Audio-GD DI-20
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #4,697 of 5,348
Troubleshooting question:

I have a DI-20 running into one DAC over AES/EBU and another over S/PDIF coax. The DACs drive 2 separate headamps.

Main source is a Bluesound streamer into the DI-20 over S/PDIF coax.

I'm getting some weird effects where channels seem to drop or switch for a short period, not more than a second. This might happen once or twice in a 5 minute song and then not happen at all for several songs or albums.

I also had a faulty headamp that made it confusing to diagnose this (had an intermittent left channel, arghhhhhh! which seems to be fixed after coming back from the shop). Now the issue is narrowed down to S/PDIF coax into the DI-20. It happens on at least two of my streaming services, both DACs, and both headamps, and multiple headphones.

Playing some music over foobar (DTS CD rips and SACD rips) into the DI-20 over USB, I hear nothing wrong.

I don't have another non-bluesound source that I could use to determine whether the DI-20 coax input is unhappy or whether the streamer is unhappy.

Any ideas guys? Thank you.

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #4,698 of 5,348
Main source is a Bluesound streamer into the DI-20 over S/PDIF coax.
You didn't say what type of Ethernet cable feeds streamer. Use wall plugable $15 WiFi extender as a network wired adapter for a streamer to rule out network ground loops.

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #4,699 of 5,348
You didn't say what type of Ethernet cable feeds streamer. Use wall plugable $15 WiFi extender as a network wired adapter for a streamer to rule out network ground loops.
Of course I didn't think of it until after I posted, but I'm running the bluesound directly into a DAC now over S/PDIF coax to try to point the finger either at the streamer or the DI-20.

I use CAT6 FTP cable for everything although I don't know what's in the wall.

I guess it cannot be a ground loop since the bluesound is not grounded (only 2 wire plug) and the problem is very infrequent.

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #4,700 of 5,348
I use CAT6 FTP cable for everything although I don't know what's in the wall.

I guess it cannot be a ground loop since the bluesound is not grounded (only 2 wire plug) and the problem is very infrequent.
Feeding a DAC directly may remove a fault, but it is similar lottery as with placing ground boxes in different positions.

Actually FTP (shielded) cable requires grounded 3-prong power supply. Reversing 2-pin plug may help, but it is only indicative that such configuration is wrong.

Added: if you don't know what cabling is running in the wall, shielded cable must not be used, as termination on this side is unknown.

I always suggest using UTP cable for audio, it is a second tip. It can be an ordinary CAT5e patch cable, at least for troubleshooting. I promise, you can stay with it for longer.

WiFi extender always is better sounding in my experience, the initial suggestion is now #3, unless you have a spare one. But I am now more confident that network common mode noise is a problem.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #4,701 of 5,348
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #4,702 of 5,348
@gimmeheadroom bluesound have a Audio Clock Trim setting in their OS that can affect external DACs...perhaps the DI-20HE does not like your current setting, whatever it is.

Can try flip the switch and give it a go.

https://support.bluos.net/hc/en-us/...manage-the-Audio-Settings-on-my-BluOS-player-
Thank you! I realized that, and then forgot to do anything about it.

It seems like the problem happens when the DI-20 is involved, streamer direct to DAC doesn't glitch.

I'll try that and update if it helps.

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #4,704 of 5,348
Thank you! I realized that, and then forgot to do anything about it.

It seems like the problem happens when the DI-20 is involved, streamer direct to DAC doesn't glitch.

I'll try that and update if it helps.

Unfortunately, it is unclear if this helps. It seems like maybe it's somewhat better, but not resolved when I turn that off. But I can not say for sure yet.

Thank you @UsoppNoKami for the reminder. I'll reflash the DI-20 when I get some time.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #4,705 of 5,348
Can somebody please point me to the latest flashing guide for the DI-20?

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #4,706 of 5,348
Feb 25, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,707 of 5,348
The glitching of my Node 2i into the DI-20 over coax is mostly or totally fixed by turning off MQA passthrough. This is annoying and I'm not 100% sure yet that this is it, but it seems almost certain now after a few evenings of swapping gear and settings around. Clock trim does not cause any harmful effects.

This would also explain why I never heard the problem on my big rig, since I have MQA passthrough turned off on that setup.

updated: still broken. Time to reflash, maybe. This is really annoying.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #4,709 of 5,348

Users who are viewing this thread

Back