Audio-GD DI-20
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #4,666 of 5,351
I'll try it with a more modern Dac as soon as I can and see if that solves the problem. If not, maybe it needs the Linux update? Although I'm very nervous about that.
That would be my suggestion. Linux friendly Amanero firmware. Considering that R7 has the same Amanero receiver and had the same problem with this particular streamer.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #4,667 of 5,351
Anyone have an opinion with the SPDIF connectors and which might be best, STD (RCA) vs ACSS (BNC)?

I've only had my R-1 DAC connected via i2s (HDMI) but I'm taking delivery of an older NFB2.1 in the next few days and I'm going to be connecting that via SPDIF. Wondering if I should bother modifying the NFB2.1 to accept BNC and just live with the RCA SPDIF.

-Mike

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #4,668 of 5,351
Wondering if I should bother modifying the NFB2.1 to accept BNC and just live with the RCA SPDIF.
I am afraid, it is not so simple, not just a different connector. If a device do not support ACSS, then RCA or AES (EBU) is the option.

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #4,669 of 5,351
I am afraid, it is not so simple, not just a different connector. If a device do not support ACSS, then RCA or AES (EBU) is the option
Righto. The NFB2 page had a custom option to substitute the RCA for BNC connection at time of order, so I figured there was compatibility there. Probably not worth the effort I'm thinking.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,670 of 5,351
I just re read the DI20 manual and I was surprised not seeing anything on selecting Output source (i2s or SPDIF).

I gotta think we are able to connect more than one DAC at a time, no?

I'd be using the i2s and SPDIF outputs to two separate DACs.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #4,671 of 5,351
I just re read the DI20 manual and I was surprised not seeing anything on selecting Output source (i2s or SPDIF).

The ID20 outputs to all its ports at the same time.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #4,672 of 5,351

Most if not DDCs have all outputs active at the same time. You would think that selectable outputs make sense in terms of limiting interference, but in practice it does not seem like any of the designers are concerned about that.

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #4,674 of 5,351
Righto. The NFB2 page had a custom option to substitute the RCA for BNC connection at time of order, so I figured there was compatibility there. Probably not worth the effort I'm thinking.
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB-2/NFB2EN.htm

According to this in the Discontinued Products section, it's just S/PDIF. It does not support ACSS so no point in changing to BNC. As far as I know, there aren't any instances of S/PDIF devices using BNC connectors. BNC is definitely a better connector than RCA so maybe it's worth writing to Kingwa to ask if the NFB 2 can received ACSS from the DI-20 if you really want to change the connector. But, that will make it incompatible with every other S/PDIF device. But, there are RCA/BNC adapters. But, but, but... :D

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #4,675 of 5,351
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/NFB-2/NFB2EN.htm

According to this in the Discontinued Products section, it's just S/PDIF. It does not support ACSS so no point in changing to BNC. As far as I know, there aren't any instances of S/PDIF devices using BNC connectors. BNC is definitely a better connector than RCA so maybe it's worth writing to Kingwa to ask if the NFB 2 can received ACSS from the DI-20 if you really want to change the connector. But, that will make it incompatible with every other S/PDIF device. But, there are RCA/BNC adapters. But, but, but... :D
Yep! Great points. I'm off the idea....as of now. :wink:

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #4,677 of 5,351
Problem was I was using the USB Blaser II drivers. Turns out mine was a USB Blaster I, once I used the driver from the Blaster I folder, Windows recognized them & installed it.
Im having similiar issue. It wont install the correct driver. I did not manage to make it work. Tried almost everything. Where is those drivers?

1675168294739.png

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #4,678 of 5,351
To anybody that has the most annoying problem with the usb blaster and windows 10. I am spamming three threads, so google recoignize it and help other when they search.

ALTERA USB BLASTER: unknown usb device device descriptor request failed

To anybody that are going to start a firmware upgrade process and Windows(device manager) wont register the usb blaster and gives a "Descriptor" error

My solution was: Using a usb hub before the usb blaster. This is some Voodoo crap!

It worked!!

My R8HE MK2 has now clock input.

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #4,679 of 5,351
Sometimes I dont see whats right in front of me. The first thing about the DI20HE to read in the summary:
______
Please Note:
The DI-20 had built in ultra speed isolation, for work most stable, don't connect external USB isolation , just let the USB connect to computer directly.
There are a lot different IIS definition exist with other brands , we only warranty work with our DACs, we can not warranty work with other brands.
______

I have hooked my pretty expensive cable up to it: Synergestic Research USB Active SE. I have not yet made a comparison.

What are your experiences with different usb cables and the DI20?

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #4,680 of 5,351
I have hooked my pretty expensive cable up to it: Synergestic Research USB Active SE. I have not yet made a comparison.
A comment on the active USB cables. A main purpose is to extend maximum usable cable lenght above a typical 5m by regenerating frames. Do you need it?

The same when using USB 2.0 hub. In fact, there is a hub chip inside the cable. A hub is seen in Device Manager, change a view "by connection" to see how it is inserted between a DDC/DAC.

If you plug external power supply to such cable, it helps redirecting ground loops, the same (again) as a self-powered USB 2.0 hub do. So essentially you have very expensive a single port self-powered USB 2.0 hub. Ifi has a similar USB regenerator under a different name, but I always recommend to use iDefender instead, as is cheaper.

In your case (I recall you had to deal with AMD chipset problems during firmware upgrade) using USB 2.0 hub is recommended. It doesn't interfere with asynchronous data transfers, so you don't need to worry about what Kingwa wrote on the website. The same is expected with this cable. If you see any improvements, remember that the same can be achieved with self-powered USB 2.0 hub.
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back