Audio-GD DI-20
May 22, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #1,321 of 5,353
How do You feed the MC3? USB from PC? S/PDIF (coax)? There are a number of settings of what the MC3+USB should do. It can do a lot of things. Are You sure You have the correct input set?

May 22, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #1,322 of 5,353
How do You feed the MC3? USB from PC? S/PDIF (coax)? There are a number of settings of what the MC3+USB should do. It can do a lot of things. Are You sure You have the correct input set?
Hi, Been playing about with it. Feeding USB to MC3 +, At this setting finally getting something. Under clock multiplier, what is the best setting for this?

Attachments

• MC3.jpg
    MC3.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 0
May 23, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #1,325 of 5,353
The USB/SPDIF mentioned below is a Matrix 2 with an Uptone ISO regen and external LPSU (which in all are more expensive than the DI20!).
The Gustard U16 with external clock was better than this combination.
I have bought a DI20 which is even better.
My friend (who also are active in this thread) borrowed the Matrix (without ISO Regen and LPSU) and the DI20 and bought a DI20 the day after.
I have tried the DI20 with and without my ExactPower Powerconditioner and can hear clear difference to the better with the EP.
I borrowed the external clock and as many have said this is even better :).
So: I will try this clock out as masterclock when version 3 arrives within a few weeks - mounted with PSU in a small box.
https://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=36&hv=1

I used to have my music stored on the internal SSD harddisk in my iMac (with good fancontrol) using Audirvana or Roon as player and an USB/SPDIFF converter between the iMac and my dCS Upsampler and DAC.
I was quite satisfied with this solution – but shifting to a Innous ZEN MK 3 was a quite significant improvement. Recommendable from my point of wiew!! Even though I only played music stored on the ZEN I was quite surprised that bettering the LAN connection (LAN cable + LPS to the wifi-reciever) was necessary before i came in Zen :) with my new investment!

The USB output port from the Innous is probably good – but not better than Innuos have launched a Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker! And the important thing is also: how good is the USB-port on your DAC!

In my situation it doesn’t matter because my DAC don’t have an USB-port, so I need an USB/SPDIFF converter.
Therefore i repeat my question from earlier – as I know some of you have experience with the Gustard U16 with external clock - and it is not clear if some of the earlier U16 comparisons is with external clock

I had the first Audio GD DI for several years and consider the DI20 or DI20HE.

Right now I have another USB/SPDIFF converter, which I have compared with the Gustard U16.
My currrent USB/SPDIFF is clearly better than Gustard U16 – but with external clock (oscilloquartz ocxo) the U16 becomes better!
Better in the same way as described in this thread between U16 without clock and DI20 / DI20HE.

Is there anyone who can describe the difference in sound between Gustard U16 with external clock and Audio GD-DI20 or Audio GD-DI20HE ???
Much better or slightly better? And in what way ?

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #1,326 of 5,353
Damn its such a tough decision. D300 Ref or U1 Mini or Pi4b -> DI20HE + MV89 + LPS.

May 24, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #1,327 of 5,353
Damn its such a tough decision. D300 Ref or U1 Mini or Pi4b -> DI20HE + MV89 + LPS.
It seems to me you would need the d300ref to match the sound quality of the di20he setup. I have

5v lps + usbridge signature - > di20he + lps + mv89a

The sound is the best i have heard. You will need a superb setup to hear how good this transport solution is.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #1,328 of 5,353
If you are using a DI-20HE and a R7HE both with Mutec Ref10 SE-120 clocking- would a dedicated transport really make much of a difference;

especially in light of all the galvanic isolation between the DI20HE and the computer and that the DI-20HE does not need the power bus of the USB cable?

I have read several reviews of mac mini with Audivana being just as good or better than very fancy transports....

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,329 of 5,353
If you are using a DI-20HE and a R7HE both with Mutec Ref10 SE-120 clocking- would a dedicated transport really make much of a difference;

especially in light of all the galvanic isolation between the DI20HE and the computer and that the DI-20HE does not need the power bus of the USB cable?

I have read several reviews of mac mini with Audivana being just as good or better than very fancy transports....
Possible indeed. The di20 has very good isolation. I used to use an intona at the output of my headless computer. No need for it anymore.

May 24, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #1,330 of 5,353
It seems to me you would need the d300ref to match the sound quality of the di20he setup. I have

5v lps + usbridge signature - > di20he + lps + mv89a

The sound is the best i have heard. You will need a superb setup to hear how good this transport solution is.

Which LPS are you using? I was thinking of the Keces P8 to power my clock and Pi4b.. or maybe a cheaper $100 ebay one.

One advantage of going the DI20HE route is it gives you upgrade options in terms of better external clocks. But the advantage of the D300ref is its a 1 box streamer solution.. so in theory simpler.

May 24, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,331 of 5,353
Hey guys people in my discord were saying the 12 volts of the mv89 board from queen seems really high? The mutec is 2.3V. Can you comment please? Thanks!

May 24, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #1,332 of 5,353
Greetings to all the members of this forum. I want to make an inquiry. I own an Auralic Aries G2 streamer transport and I want to know if any of you know if this device works with GD DI 20 through the usb connection. Thank you very much for your attention !

May 24, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #1,333 of 5,353
Greetings to all the members of this forum. I want to make an inquiry. I own an Auralic Aries G2 streamer transport and I want to know if any of you know if this device works with GD DI 20 through the usb connection. Thank you very much for your attention !
I own an Aries G1 since one year, and it drives DI-20HE perfectly without any issue. DI-20 will accept almost any signal in its input.

May 24, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #1,335 of 5,353
Which LPS are you using? I was thinking of the Keces P8 to power my clock and Pi4b.. or maybe a cheaper $100 ebay one.

One advantage of going the DI20HE route is it gives you upgrade options in terms of better external clocks. But the advantage of the D300ref is its a 1 box streamer solution.. so in theory simpler.
I use this on the clock:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/25W-TALEMA-Ultra-Low-Noise-linear-power-supply-DC-12V-2A-upgrade-your-device/143331836888?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

And i have a similar but slighly bigger one (case-wise) for the usbridge, which runs cooler but is basically the same. The 12v runs cool enough with the morion. The usbridge needs more current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back