Audio-GD DI-20
May 16, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,291 of 5,353
Just to be sure:

When you flash your R8 firmware to the latest. You need to change the hard wire configuration for the connector as well.
I assumed you have done that when you updated your firmware?

Yes, I swaped the cables inside the R8 according to Kingwa's instructions.

To be clear, the system works fine almost all the time and, when it does, it sounds superb.

May 17, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #1,293 of 5,353
Well, I think the problem happens more, like you say, when the sample rate changes between songs. I listen to all of my music streaming Tidal and my lists have a mix of HiFi songs (44.1) and MQA. I've tried upsamplig and not upsamplig on Audinirvana and the problem persist, but I still have some other configurations I can try. Its weird because last night it happened more than ever, but it's also true that I resently updated my Tidal lists adding more MQA songs on them. I think is something like Fred said about corrupted data that goes from the SMS-200 to the DI-20 when changing sample rates, but I also think the DI-20 should manage that and not be so sensitive about it, because, once it happens, it doesn't get fixed by it self.

Also it doesn't get fixed if I only restart Audinirvana or if I change inputs on the R8. I have to restart at least the DI-20 and sometimes both, the DI-20 and the SMS-200. I think I will email Kingwa about it. It's a downside for the DI-20 as many people change sample rates during listening sessions, Tidal users and not.

By the way, I have the Gustard U16. Are you saying that you have your Gustard U12 between the SMS-200 and the DI-20 to fix the problem? That's another solution I'm not sure I want to use, another device in the digital rig... it's just too much.
No no. The channel switch only went away when I substituted the di-20 with the u12. I have not tried with both in the chain at the same time :)

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,294 of 5,353
I tried this as well with my sotm sms-200 regular. Usually when the music changes sample rate or switching to external clock.

I even tried that it switched channels. That was really weird. It did not help to shut everything down. The only thing that worked was connecting my gustard u12 - the everything fell into place. Weird..

The static noise I contributed to my dac but might be something else..
As per Amanero's reply for WASAPI jRiver will need to set DOP, then the high pitch's gone. But when I skip to next track or choose different track while playing, it starts to stutter. Then full stop and play again gets back to normal. I guess there is still bugs of Amanero WASAPI output.

To be frank I was not really impressed with DI20HE ASIO after 2 days burn in, I thought it lost the soundstage, clarity and dynamic comparing with my PC USB to DAC. (HDPLEX case & LPS with server MB/CPU/ram/dedicated USB card/all customized data & power cable/WS 2012 optimised/Fidelizer Purist setting).

But my PC WASAPI USB to DAC could be bit grainny, and bit harsh on the highs with some recording. WASAPI was my preference originally, ASIO is too dark to be smooth sacrificing the energy. This is my same impression from DI20HE in day 3.

Yesterday of day 4th I got myself listening DI20HE output WASAPI for the whole day, it was quite bright with symphony in the morning, got better with audiophile vocal in the afternoon.

Today I switch to ASIO with the same track route, thank goodness it improves much better than before, feels the veil is lifting up. If it's on the correct track I'd stay with ASIO definitely. Now I'm waiting for further open up with ongoing burn in.

BTW, its 12S input to PS Audio DSD, but no option for external clock.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,295 of 5,353
Btw my unit went back to the dealer on Friday. The lean character in the midrange persisted all the way during burn-in. So, eagerly awaiting the replacement!

My friend and I tried with an external OXCO clock and the leanness was still there. Still sounded off balance.. but OMG my friends di-20 was brilliant with the externl clock. A massive improvement, especially with the tone of instruments!! Much more natural. The di-20 was good by itself but at some point, I’m definitely going to try out an external clock in some form.

May 17, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,298 of 5,353
and what clock was that?

@FredA
I must have asked you this countless times, and I did try searching my private messages first.
Can you tell me what streamer you got instead of the UltraRendu?
Never tried the ultrarendu, i just use a modest usbridge signature from allo.com. Something anyone wanting to isolate a pc from the audio gear could use, set-up as a upnp renderer. I use it as a standalone player with great results.

May 20, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #1,304 of 5,353
WOuld you pay to upgrade from the mv89a to the mutec ref-10?

No.-- But:

1. Everyones ears are different.
2. I listen ONLY to headphones and speakers may show a bigger difference between the two clocks.

There is an improvement in the Ref 10 SE-120. Clearer, fuller sound, darker background- Just excellent results- but to much money IMHO...

The irony is I don't believe that I would sell it now that I have it- as even though technically the difference is only moderate and not hugh- it is a meaningful difference to me. Also- I really was not being fair in my rating of the MV89a price performance ratio because I was using a $1000 LPS to power it.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,305 of 5,353
Ok so if I have a DAC that doesn't have a master clock input (denafrips terminator). Is there still a value of getting the MV89 clock box from the queensland seller and connecting it to the DI20 HE?

Right now I am doing PI4B -> Sotm dx usb -> Denafrips terminator (via AES) and really liking the result over just the pi4b or dx usb on its own.

So my plan is to change out the sotm dx usb for the DI20HE and get the MV89 and power the mv89 with a good LPS (maybe keces p8).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back