Audio-GD DI-20
May 20, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #1,306 of 5,353
Those $100 Chinese ocxos draw c. 0.2A 12v once warm.

So it’s not a problem to use a low noise smaller 500mA power supply, i.e. a typical 1x lt3045 based one, after first using a bigger one for the heating. Never turn it off and everything is fine.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #1,307 of 5,353
Ok so if I have a DAC that doesn't have a master clock input (denafrips terminator). Is there still a value of getting the MV89 clock box from the queensland seller and connecting it to the DI20 HE?

Right now I am doing PI4B -> Sotm dx usb -> Denafrips terminator (via AES) and really liking the result over just the pi4b or dx usb on its own.

So my plan is to change out the sotm dx usb for the DI20HE and get the MV89 and power the mv89 with a good LPS (maybe keces p8).
With an audio-gd r7he dac, it is definitely worth it. It make a significant difference. If the Terminator reacts positively to transport upgrades in general, go for it. I get the best imaging and bass quality ever with this setup.

May 20, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #1,308 of 5,353
No.-- But:

1. Everyones ears are different.
2. I listen ONLY to headphones and speakers may show a bigger difference between the two clocks.

There is an improvement in the Ref 10 SE-120. Clearer, fuller sound, darker background- Just excellent results- but to much money IMHO...

The irony is I don't believe that I would sell it now that I have it- as even though technically the difference is only moderate and not hugh- it is a meaningful difference to me. Also- I really was not being fair in my rating of the MV89a price performance ratio because I was using a $1000 LPS to power it.
Yes the mv89a is definitely very good and you are right, differences could be more obvious with speakers.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #1,309 of 5,353
Is the mv89A better than the gustard C16 ?

May 20, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,310 of 5,353
Has anybody experimented with USB front ends to the DI-20HE?
For example, sourcing it from a JCAT usb card, or a SOTM usb endpoint?

I'm wondering if connecting DI-20HE to better USB than PC gives, will be an improvement?

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #1,313 of 5,353
May 21, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #1,314 of 5,353
Yes the mv89a is definitely very good and you are right, differences could be more obvious with speakers

The one area where I really appreciate the Ref 10 SE-120 over the Morion is the fullness of the sound in the entire frequency. The Morion has a very full bass but the Ref 10 has a fuller midrange and treble as well. I love that full midrange........... and that is why I probably can't go back to the Morion- even though it is fantastic...

Nevertheless- it is a very expensive upgrade-- and the LAST one I would do. Spend the money of power cables, IC's, and good USB and HDMI cables and very importantly- anti-vibration pads first. Much more bang for the buck.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #1,315 of 5,353
The one area where I really appreciate the Ref 10 SE-120 over the Morion is the fullness of the sound in the entire frequency. The Morion has a very full bass but the Ref 10 has a fuller midrange and treble as well. I love that full midrange........... and that is why I probably can't go back to the Morion- even though it is fantastic...

Nevertheless- it is a very expensive upgrade-- and the LAST one I would do. Spend the money of power cables, IC's, and good USB and HDMI cables and very importantly- anti-vibration pads first. Much more bang for the buck.
The thing is you ref-10se needs more burn-in.

May 22, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,317 of 5,353
Hi,
I started by getting rid of the switched PSU in the MC3+USB. It was clean and a bit artificial sounding on its own 1GHz XO. With the Oscilloquartz as EXT XO it was much better...but after replacing the switched PSU with an Ultra Silent LPS (5V 3A) the MC3+USB climbed up to a higher league. After that it was equally good as the DI. They both are winners now. The DI has HDMI output supporting "all formats" PCM+ DSD. It also has the S/P DIF coax that supports DoP besides the PCM. The MC3+USB reclocks streams from S/P DIF, TOSLINK, and AES/EBU. and converts DSD material. It has limitation on 192 kHz for PCM. It can handle DSD (WIndows) and DoP (Linux) and converts it to a first class PCM stream.
I have no idea of how good the "standard" REF10 is. I decided to "kill" this OCXO hunt by a real high end, refined unit.
I understand why Mutec uses the switched PSU....but it is degrading the units potential. My REF10 SE-120 has 25 hours powered on now and both the DI20HE and the MC3+USB are answering well on the new Master clock. It is still very early in the maturing process but it is possible to get glimts of what this will give when its settled in a few weeks.
To sum up. The MC3+USB is a pretty locked down unit. Rigid and professional. After PSU-change... - For me it is an 100% useful unit with restoring (reclocking) a pretty dull and tired S/P DIF signal from an otherwise excellent CD player. The automatic DSD/DoP to PCM conversion is spot on what I need to feed my TDA1541AS2 dac with. Brilliant stuff for me.

I suggest You to go with Kingwa and the DI20HE. It is future proof and excellent sounding. Add at least an Oscilloquartz, Morion or similar EXT XO to it and You will find Yourself smiling, listening to Your music
/Jan
How do I setup MC3? PC USB to MC3 and MC3 AES to DAC? does that work? It seems like it does not carry an audio signal.

May 22, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #1,319 of 5,353
do I need the DI20 in the chain? I hooked up currently hooked up mc3 AES output to DAC but getting nothing out.
OT but here we go....
The Mutec MC3+USB is a DDC and a reclocking device. It has two inputs (USB XMOS, and S/PDIF). USB drivers for PC is easy downloaded from Mutec's homepage. AES/EBU outputs up to 192k. DSD and DoP (DSD64, DSD128) is converted to PCM up to 176.4k
Do You get sound on any other output?

The DI20/HE is not needed to get the MC3+USB sound. The DI however is a more full function unit that supports more resolutions and it outputs I2S over HDMI.
/Jan

May 22, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #1,320 of 5,353
OT but here we go....
The Mutec MC3+USB is a DDC and a reclocking device. It has two inputs (USB XMOS, and S/PDIF). USB drivers for PC is easy downloaded from Mutec's homepage. AES/EBU outputs up to 192k. DSD and DoP (DSD64, DSD128) is converted to PCM up to 176.4k
Do You get sound on any other output?

The DI20/HE is not needed to get the MC3+USB sound. The DI however is a more full function unit that supports more resolutions and it outputs I2S over HDMI.
/Jan
From MC3, AES out to DAC. I am not getting any sound out. However from DI AES out, i am getting sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back