Audio-GD DI-20
May 25, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #1,351 of 5,351
Guys what do you think of these cybershaft OCXO clocks? It has lower jitter than a $23k esoteric clock and it only costs $1000.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/reasonably-priced-dual-master-clock-10mhz-rb-and-ocxo.20827/

Again probably I am wasting my cash as I will only connect a DI20HE to it if I order it.
The cybershafts are good clocks. Only connecting the di20he provides a clear benefit with a r7 dac. Likely so with all relocking dacs.

The point IMO is reclocking has little incidence on low frequency jitter in general (can hardly be removed, basically stays as is) and the internal clock of the dacs have good figures otherwise. So having the di outputting a signal with very low low-freq jitter will bring a significant improvement with low bass response. But it is not only that,.for some reason, resolution and imaging improve as well. I am not sure the cybershaft in this price range is better than the Morion mv89a. Connecting the dac also brings even more of an improvement accoring to all headfiers thst have tried with an audio-gd r7.

May 25, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #1,352 of 5,351
Its interesting, Alvin at denafrips said he was going to try to do AES out of the d300ref into the gaia AES input. But when I mentioned this to another audiophile i know he said it didn't make sense since you are reclocking twice.

I think the fact that the DI20HE elevates the sound above the G1 is quite amazing as you would think the sound out of the G1 is already extremely good and wouldn't benefit from the rebuilding.
I believe it's a matter of understanding the stream logic: G1 or G2 output a good signal, this is basical. After that, dac normally process the signal to prepare it for conversion, then convert it. DI-20 doesn't change the streamer signal, it just does better what dac normally does inside BEFORE conversion: transforming protocol in I2S. This is a critical process quite standard, usually done inside the dac, that DI-20 does better. So the matter is not "upgrading G2 output".

May 25, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #1,355 of 5,351
May 26, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,357 of 5,351
I have two DI20HE that I have tried in series. It proved it has positive impact by rebuilding twice.

I have two speakers in parallel. Lot's of impact, and volume.

@smodtactical
FYI I recently got the Keces P8 (9/12 + 18/19) and my favorite sound is the P8 sending 9v to a w4s recovery and hdplex 200watt sending 19.5 to my computer. Sounds more effortless than either LPS doing both.

May 26, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,359 of 5,351
I have two speakers in parallel. Lot's of impact, and volume.

@smodtactical
FYI I recently got the Keces P8 (9/12 + 18/19) and my favorite sound is the P8 sending 9v to a w4s recovery and hdplex 200watt sending 19.5 to my computer. Sounds more effortless than either LPS doing both.

If I go the pi chain route with di20 he i was thinking of using a p8 to power my pi streamer and mv89 clock. Alternatively if I got lumin u1 mini route will use it to power the lumin alone.

Btw you are powering your PC with an hdplex? Its a custom desktop?

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #1,360 of 5,351
Btw you are powering your PC with an hdplex? Its a custom desktop?

yeah it's a custom build on an STX mobo with a 35watt quad core i5. I've since done a couple builds on the 65watt AMD 3400G. I love that CPU -- I can't wait for the 4000 series to come out this year. I loaned my friend the HDplex yesterday so I'm only using the P8 right now, and it's good, but I may add the snap-on ferrite cores to the DC cables to bring the highs down a tad. It says I'm drawing 500ma for the computer and 100ma for the w4s recovery, and the unit is rated to handle 4000ma on each of those taps. I'm probably going overboard with the headroom.

May 26, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #1,361 of 5,351
yeah it's a custom build on an STX mobo with a 35watt quad core i5. I've since done a couple builds on the 65watt AMD 3400G. I love that CPU -- I can't wait for the 4000 series to come out this year. I loaned my friend the HDplex yesterday so I'm only using the P8 right now, and it's good, but I may add the snap-on ferrite cores to the DC cables to bring the highs down a tad. It says I'm drawing 500ma for the computer and 100ma for the w4s recovery, and the unit is rated to handle 4000ma on each of those taps. I'm probably going overboard with the headroom.

I am considering it myself. That or sbooster for lumin u1 mini or pi4b. 1 reviewer said sbooster better and another said p8 far superior. Heh.

May 27, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #1,362 of 5,351
Ok after weeks of agonizing over the decision I finally ordered the DI20HE. Fingers crossed it will all workout smoothly and sound good in my system. I am going to start with doing PC over ethernet -> Pi4B -> DI20HE. Going to look for a good linear PSU for my pi4b as well.

May 27, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #1,365 of 5,351
Ok after weeks of agonizing over the decision I finally ordered the DI20HE. Fingers crossed it will all workout smoothly and sound good in my system. I am going to start with doing PC over ethernet -> Pi4B -> DI20HE. Going to look for a good linear PSU for my pi4b as well.

You don't need the PC anymore. Your Pi4b may access your PC/NAS over Ethernet/wifi, or if you use a good size SD card, you can have a sizable library right on your SD card. Limit is the size of your SD card or NAS. Or if you use USB storage, that can hold most music library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back